Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ceramic coating or something else?

Options
  • 10-06-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

I’ve just bought myself a car and am wondering what to do to protect the paint and have no idea. I’ve been in company cars for years so never really gave it much thought but this one is mine.
    I do about 50,000 Kms per year so need to be realistic about what will be serviceable.
    The car is fours years old but in excellent condition and only has two very light scratches on the passenger door.
    I was thinking of ceramic coating but would appreciate a few opinions and after reading a few threads here get the idea there are some very knowledgeable posters.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Hi

How much are you looking to spend? A full Ceramic Coating wont be cheap , considering you will need a paint correction done before any coating is applied.

If you are just looking for some protection on your car , there are plenty options of waxes and sealants that you can apply yourself that will offer protection , which last months at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Will you be taking the car to an automatic car wash or are you prepared to wash by hand using buckets and wash mitts?

A ceramic coating will fade fast if you go to a car wash every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Will you be taking the car to an automatic car wash or are you prepared to wash by hand using buckets and wash mitts?

A ceramic coating will fade fast if you go to a car wash every week.

I’d never put a car through an automatic wash. I’ happy to wash my car myself and am just wondering what my best options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Fusso soft 99 is really good semi synethic car wax, will last 6months+ if your not washing with harsh chemicals. 15E a tub. A quick rub with a clay mitt before hand would have your 95% of the way there to a sparkly car

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Maybe should open new thread but I thought it links somewhat...

I've a 07 black Gti that runs beautifully in my mind. It has 2,k of necessary maintenance from Dalton's a year or so back. I love driving it.

BUT

Paintwork is a state/mess - patch up & coat
    18inch Monza diamond cut alloys are at refurb or replace stage (tires grand)
    Front light units have nasty fogged up look - would love replacement xonen units
    New ariel would be nice
    Plastic cover for lost rear wiper

If this was done car would feel like new to me. I'd never make money on it at this stage but been looking at trading up to & I don't see if get something I'd prefer with less risk in say 10k territory.

My car is in the 80k miles region. Not clocked I just barely drive it (city, occasional m50 & say month or twice down the bog)

While I like cars I'm not good at doing stuff with them so looking for detail for others who might do all this work for me & cost expect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Collinite 845.

Advertisement