Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flaking paint

Options
  • 11-05-2019 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey guys, so my paint on my rear quarter panel is flaking and it's obvious there was a repair done on the top half of the rear quarter panel as the there is a texture difference between it and the original paint. My question is would it be possible to repair it without painting the entire rear quarter? Would it be possible to do it myself with rattle cans and clear coat? Not looking for show finish but just to make it look better than it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Here is a pic of it. You can almost see the texture difference right above the fuel cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

You'll never get a decent finish with rattle cans, the only fix for this is to paint the entire quarter panel and possibly blow in the rear door.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Neilw wrote: »
    You'll never get a decent finish with rattle cans, the only fix for this is to paint the entire quarter panel and possibly blow in the rear door.

The black is a little more forgiving, won't look ideal but will look ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't fix that probably with a paint spray can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

The black is a little more forgiving, won't look ideal but will look ok.

Black is much more difficult to paint properly, ask any painter. Black is terrible for showing blemishes in the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I had a professional tip up job done recently on my car. Scrape on the wing, you would almost not know it had been damaged, just from certain angles you can see a hint of damage repair. It's pretty good for a tip up.

Advertisement