Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MPs quitting Labour & Conservative parties discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looks like its happening. What is the impact in all honesty?

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1097405369582866434

might this be the first time she gets something right?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Looks like its happening. What is the impact in all honesty?

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1097405369582866434
    Off-the-cuff reaction? Let's see how many MPs are involved and who they are. But my instinct is that a split at this stage is not going to make it any easier to resolve the UK's crisis and avoid a no-deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Off-the-cuff reaction? Let's see how many MPs are involved and who they are. But my instinct is that a split at this stage is not going to make it any easier to resolve the UK's crisis and avoid a no-deal Brexit.
    The split's been there for some time. This will just be a confirmation of the numbers I think.

When you have nonsense like this, you know it's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive been kind of ignoring this labour anti-semitism stuff assuming it was all just red-top nonsense and distraction, is there any substance to it at all?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4 :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47274905
    At least four backbenchers who disagree with the Labour leadership over its handling of Brexit and anti-Semitism are thought likely to break away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Enzokk

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ive been kind of ignoring this labour anti-semitism stuff assuming it was all just red-top nonsense and distraction, is there any substance to it at all?

My own impression was much like yours, I thought it was just a storm in a teacup against Labour. However the fact that is just keeps rumbling on and on and on makes me think there is more to it. The best case scenario for Labour is that Corbyn, as the head of the organization, is just unlucky that he liked an anti-semitic cartoon on social media without knowing it. That he has been unknowingly caught in situations where the accusation of anti-semitism against him can be lodged. At worst (and probably most likely), he is an anti-semite and he is allowing it to fester in Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

begs belief,

There is a call for a centre party in a UK where the majority dont feel they are being represented.

If Farage can pop out parties like Maltesers then why cant a few labour MPS get their act together. Even if it doesn't halt brexit. They would do extremely well given the gulf in representation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The labour anti semitism was a load of nonsense it was part of a strategy by the labour blairites to lever under Corbyn to get him out.

Any party that's formed from a labour split now will move back into the fold once Corbyn is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

listermint wrote: »
    begs belief,

There is a call for a centre party in a UK where the majority dont feel they are being represented.

If Farage can pop out parties like Maltesers then why cant a few labour MPS get their act together. Even if it doesn't halt brexit. They would do extremely well given the gulf in representation

Unfortunately that's not true due to FPTP massively favoring larger more established parties.

A split from either labour or the tories will simply benefit the other

Unfortunately that's not true due to FPTP massively favoring larger more established parties.

A split from either labour or the tories will simply benefit the other

Then why were the Tories so fearful of UKIP - consistently i might ad ??
    I get FPTP but Farage is able to do what he likes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Marginal seats?

Except get elected to HoC...

I assume they were fearful as UKIP were taking away some younger voters. Tory membership is an endangered species, due to the average age of Tory members.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

begs belief,

The Liberal Democrats always struck me as being a good centre option between Labour and the Conservatives. However, like most junior coalition partners they seem to have blotted their copybook with the last government and so their chances of becoming a significant political force have waned.

Also, as has been said many times in this thread, the First Past the Post system of single MP constituencies makes it very hard for such parties to come to power

The Liberal Democrats always struck me as being a good centre option between Labour and the Conservatives. However, like most junior coalition partners they seem to have blotted their copybook with the last government and so their chances of becoming a significant political force have waned.

Also, as has been said many times in this thread, the First Past the Post system of single MP constituencies makes it very hard for such parties to come to power

They have an extremely poor leadership and blotted their copybook with that. The name is tarnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Others are saying they're not actually leaving, just threatening to leave.

We'll know soon enough, the press conference starts in a few minutes.

edit: Well it is a bunch who resigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

They have an extremely poor leadership and blotted their copybook with that. The name is tarnished.

Yup. The students fees and also allowing benefit sanctions in exchange for the plastic bag levy has given them a bad name amongst younger voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

From the EU perspective this is irrelevant. It doesn’t affect the realities of where we are and the dilemma of three “impossible” outcomes, one of which needs to be decisively moved towards over the coming couple of weeks:

- No Deal
    - May’s Deal
    - A50 revocation

I’ll be tuning out the Westminster politico drama bubble around it, because it’s completely irrelevant

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Back in 2017, when it might have made a difference, a remain voter would have to choose which party/leader best served their interests. Outside of Scotland (which was mostly SNP voting), it would've made a lot of sense to vote for the party most in favour of remaining so that there would be real debate. Ok, Farron was something of a place holder at that stage, but was he any worse than Jeremy Corbyn? The party itself showed leadership in the sense that they actively took a position on Brexit.

I suppose as the largest party that was actually against Brexit (other than SNP) they had an opportunity to allow remain voters to choose an MP who represents their views. But they did not do so. Now there is only limited opposition to Brexit in Westminster, mostly coming from SNP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yup. The students fees and also allowing benefit sanctions in exchange for the plastic bag levy has given them a bad name amongst younger voters.

It might be worth looking at the last time a split in the Labour party led to a new party - the Social Democrats.

Some initial success - eventually leading to an amalgamation with the old Liberal party to form the Liberal Democrats. When the Lib-Dems got the opportunity to go into coalition - they did. They took all the blame and got wiped out (almost). Just like the Green Party here suffered from - not strong enough nor wiley enough to shift the blame.

Same problem that all small parties suffer from - FPTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

7 Labour MP's resigned. Antisemitism seems to be the main driver rather than Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jeremy Corbyn's poor leadership has now resulted in the break-up of his party.

Luciana Berger
    Gavin Shuker
    Chuka Umunna
    Ann Coffey
    Mike Gapes
    Angela Smith
    Chris Leslie

Have all tendered their resignations and have formed their own Independent group due to Antisemitism and Brexit by the looks of things, very sad day for British politics in a way but you can hardly blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A bunch of Labour MPs have resigned the whip, based on opposition to anti semitism. I think the number is 7

They don't seem to care about brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I always find this argument amazing.

LibDems are busted because, as a junior partner in a coalition government they clearly got taken advantage of.

But Blair, and Labour, brought the UK into a war the majority of the UK did not want.

The Tories are now in charge of probably the most dysfunctional government in UK history. Even staunch Brexiteers claim that they are making a pig ears of the whole thing, with the line that Brexit would be easy only for TM etc.

Yet they continue to keep the main support. It really makes no sense so I put the aversion to the LibDems as little more that party loyalty dressed up as some stand up against lies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

devnull wrote: »
    Jeremy Corbyn's poor leadership has now resulted in the break-up of his party.
    In time, it will be: "Jeremy Corbyn's poor leadership has now contributed to the break-up of his country."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ok, they're talking about brexit now. Corbyn's lack of movement towards a people's vote

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Akrasia wrote: »
    A bunch of Labour MPs have resigned the whip, based on opposition to anti semitism. I think the number is 7

They don't seem to care about brexit.

Some of them resigned from Labour due to anti-semitism and some because of Brexit, maybe you should listen to all of the MPs, who will give their reasons on their own, rather than saying the first person to speak has the same reasons as the rest?

Either way Corbyn's poor leadership and 'For me, not for you' rather than the claimed 'For the many, not the few' mantra he's been living recently means they had little choice - they tried to make JC see sense and he wouldn't, if you simply can't address the problem you get out, and that's what they did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have the seven resigned the whip or resigned from the Labour party entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Goods news to see Labour decline and degrade further. It also strengtens Teresa May's hand and increases even more the almost foregone conclusion of a Hard no-deal brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Akrasia wrote: »

Not the whip, they've left the party altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

theguzman wrote: »
    Goods news to see Labour decline and degrade further. It also strengtens Teresa May's hand and increases even more the almost foregone conclusion of a Hard no-deal brexit.

It is never good news in a democracy to have a weak opposition.

The Tories ended up out of government for 20 years the last time they were faced with a poor opposition who eventually got its act together.

Advertisement