Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sheeps wrote: »
    Did you know that social homes aren't free?

Considering you make it appear that someone on 10e an hour should be able to afford to live in a brand new house in the most expensive part of Dublin, it might as well be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Kidkinobe wrote: »
    exactly and thats why social housing is needed in cities...So teachers/trainee nurses starting on 35 K a year would be enticed to take a job in the city as a step up until they are a few years in and at which point they earn more and eventually purchase their own home.

I'll fully admit I'm a little bit ignorant of social housing policies but does a person not have to be on a queue for a good while before they would stand a chance of getting a social house, not really useful for newly qualified teachers.
    Also once you get a house isn't it more or less yours for life if you want it.

If you could change the above so that they were to be rented on a medium term basis (~5 yrs) i could maybe see the value.
    But even at that there are plenty of places a little bit further out that would be cheaper and not too far to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Kidkinobe wrote: »
    exactly and thats why social housing is needed in cities...So teachers/trainee nurses starting on 35 K a year would be enticed to take a job in the city as a step up until they are a few years in and at which point they earn more and eventually purchase their own home.
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    I'll fully admit I'm a little bit ignorant of social housing policies but does a person not have to be on a queue for a good while before they would stand a chance of getting a social house, not really useful for newly qualified teachers.

Also, are there no criteria to prioritise people on that list and does that teacher actually have any realistic chance of getting anything? i.e. won't there be a constant flow of higher priority people who are homeless, unemployed, on minimal wage, large families, etc who are jumping in front of the queue meaning that in practice the teacher who technically qualifies has no realistic chance of reaching the top the the list?

My impression is that if we want people like a a newly qualified teachers or nurses to consistently and timely have access to social housing we would need a large part (a third? half?) of the rental stock to be public housing. Not sure that would be a good thing tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any form of time-limited tenancy on them is a recipe for disaster.

Uncap the differential rents so that they hit market rate when the tenant is earning enough, remove the option to buy them and remove the ability to inherit a tenancy. People will move on if it suits them rather than staying because its a cheap house but it doesn't leave a Sword of Damocles of an end date hanging over them.

Social housing with differential rents can actually be a profit maker for the operator, just not with the current cap on the rents - although I think one or two of the rural councils actually take more in rent than they spend now, mainly due to not having built/bought anything new in years.

A single national scheme would be sensible also - rates, allowances and caps differ in every council area. Some appear to have got rid of the cap already, others haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

L1011 wrote: »
    Any form of time-limited tenancy on them is a recipe for disaster.

Uncap the differential rents so that they hit market rate when the tenant is earning enough, remove the option to buy them and remove the ability to inherit a tenancy. People will move on if it suits them rather than staying because its a cheap house but it doesn't leave a Sword of Damocles of an end date hanging over them.

Social housing with differential rents can actually be a profit maker for the operator, just not with the current cap on the rents - although I think one or two of the rural councils actually take more in rent than they spend now, mainly due to not having built/bought anything new in years.

A single national scheme would be sensible also - rates, allowances and caps differ in every council area. Some appear to have got rid of the cap already, others haven't

Totally agree on the rent caps. If you make enough money you should have to pay the market rate, same goes for if you get the option to purchase the property. The subsidising should end.

Confused by your last paragraph though. I think rates should be different per council as cost of living will differ quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Considering you make it appear that someone on 10e an hour should be able to afford to live in a brand new house in the most expensive part of Dublin, it might as well be free.

What might as well be free? A hypothetical scenario that is blatantly not happening ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ush1 wrote: »
    Totally agree on the rent caps. If you make enough money you should have to pay the market rate, same goes for if you get the option to purchase the property. The subsidising should end.

Confused by your last paragraph though. I think rates should be different per council as cost of living will differ quite a bit.

The rates are a % of income so reflect local costs and incomes automatically. But the % varies heavily

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

L1011 wrote: »
    The rates are a % of income so reflect local costs and incomes automatically. But the % varies heavily

Don't see that an issue per say, the caps are the main thing and subsidised price when the tenant has the option to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sheeps wrote: »
    Did you know that social homes aren't free?

4 working Adults in 4 bed council house(2 early/mid 50's, 2 circa mid/late 20's). Combined household income of roughly 160k(50k*2, 30k*2). A net household income of roughly 10k a month. I use this example as I know a household like this.

They live in D18, in which in the private accommodation rate in the area for a 4 bed house in one of the rougher areas is current 2.5k a month conservatively or 25% of their current household budget or 33% of the Adults earning capacity.

How much do they pay in rent a month to the council?
    Do they pay property tax, building insurance?
    Are they liable for large or small scale repairs on the property, like a boiler breaking beyond repair?
    Are they eligible for free house upgrades, like insulation?

For DLR, the rent for that household would be circa 650 quid a month or 6.4% of total household net income. Some people could have been paying significantly less(fixed rent schemes). Dublin city council would never even get that high.

The issue with council housing is that in a lot of cases, the only incentive to leave the house is if the house is in a ****hole location surrounded by complete assholes. There is zero reason why a tenant in that situation would or should ever leave. They could even rent both rent rooms in the house and turn a profit on the councils property, rent and income adjustments included. Council housing intended purpose is to help those that are unable to help themselves with appropriate accommodation. But when they are placed into a situation where they can help themselves or their situations changed, it doesn't work.

Why can they not create a system that does exactly what it was meant to do? Create a escrow system and charge rates based on household income above the standard rate. The additional money accumulated can be used towards a purchase of another private house or the eventual purchase and ownership of the council house they live in. Failure to do either, money goes back to the council on death of the primary tenants for more housing. A forced savings scheme to incentivize leaving in a positive way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How do you think a reduction in economic growth forecasts from 3.7% to 3.5% will effect the Irish property market in 2019?

Graham wrote: »
    How do you think a reduction in economic growth forecasts from 3.7% to 3.5% will effect the Irish property market in 2019?
    "When there are too many clouds, it takes one lightning (bolt) to start the storm," she said.

Are we only allowed discuss absolute fact about forecast growth and not about the potential lightning bolt? If that lightning bolt does strike, which the IMF are saying could happen as there's clouds overhead, then prices will come down and fast.

You seem to infer that my post has nothing to do with the property market. Economy and property are tightly connected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Are we only allowed discuss absolute fact about forecast growth and not about the potential lightning bolt? If that lightning bolt does strike, which the IMF are saying could happen as there's clouds overhead, then prices will come down and fast.

You seem to infer that my post has nothing to do with the property market. Economy and property are tightly connected.

It's hard to tell what you were implying with your post.

That's the problem when someone just does a link-dump. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Graham wrote: »
    It's hard to tell what you were implying with your post.

That's the problem when someone just does a link-dump. ;)

It seemed pretty obvious to me when I seen it. IMF are saying that growth is lower than forecast and there are multiple risks to the global economy. If the global economy takes a hit, it could have a negative effect on the Irish economy and/or could cause a drop in house prices. I think it's safe to say most people would know that last bit without it having to be spelled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It seemed pretty obvious to me when I seen it. IMF are saying that growth is lower than forecast and there are multiple risks to the global economy. If the global economy takes a hit, it could have a negative effect on the Irish economy and/or could cause a drop in house prices. I think it's safe to say most people would know that last bit without it having to be spelled out.

The benefit that Ireland has in this scenario is that they are limiting access to finance... therefore they can adjust the valve to allow more access to the housing market if necessary... They don't have to release it fully, just make some adjustments and they can open up the housing market to more potential buyers... They can do this multiple times... thus limiting our exposure to a declining market.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You have absolutely no idea whatsoever if this will happen.

Prices will probably come down. Fast? Nobody knows. How much? Nobody knows.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The benefit that Ireland has in this scenario is that they are limiting access to finance... therefore they can adjust the valve to allow more access to the housing market if necessary... They don't have to release it fully, just make some adjustments and they can open up the housing market to more potential buyers... They can do this multiple times... thus limiting our exposure to a declining market.

What do you mean? Are you talking about the central bank limits. If so they should not be increased even if house prices start falling. The last thing we need when the economy is taking a hit is to increase the amount of money people can borrow and allow them to over extend themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

What do you mean? Are you talking about the central bank limits. If so they should not be increased even if house prices start falling. The last thing we need when the economy is taking a hit is to increase the amount of money people can borrow and allow them to over extend themselves.

As opposed to over extending, we are currently under-extended in terms of what we can borrow. I think if these limits were slowly increased in a declining market (say 4x), realistically it won't have much of a negative affect and when prices start to rise, those with higher borrowings will still have decent equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

As opposed to over extending, we are currently under-extended in terms of what we can borrow.

We have 28,000 mortgages in this country that haven't paid in the last two years according to the Central Bank. You just don't see that in other countries. This country is over extended from the view that the CBI has.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

We have 28,000 mortgages in this country that haven't paid in the last two years according to the Central Bank. You just don't see that in other countries. This country is over extended from the view that the CBI has.

28,000 out of two million homes/apartments in Ireland isn't all that many. lots of them will be in the west side of Ireland where they were building apartment blocks in villages miles from anywhere or anything and pretty much worthless.

• Advertisement

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of those are are people who purchased with 100% mortgages at the height of the boom, not in a recession.

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of those are are people who purchased with 100% mortgages at the height of the boom, not in a recession.

Many of these 100% mortgages would have been at property values close to where the market is now. It proved unaffordable in 2005/6, it's not clear why it should be more affordable today.

Many of these 100% mortgages would have been at property values close to where the market is now. It proved unaffordable in 2005/6, it's not clear why it should be more affordable today.

Have a look at lending terms in 2005/6 & compare to now, then come back when you are informed.

awec wrote: »
    You have absolutely no idea whatsoever if this will happen.

Prices will probably come down. Fast? Nobody knows. How much? Nobody knows.

That's my opinion yes.

No one has any idea what will happen in the future so maybe we should have rules we can only talk about past history of 2019 in this thread?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Have a look at lending terms in 2005/6 & compare to now, then come back when you are informed.

Classy. getting a little close to the bone maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Villa05

As opposed to over extending, we are currently under-extended in terms of what we can borrow. I think if these limits were slowly increased in a declining market (say 4x), realistically it won't have much of a negative affect and when prices start to rise, those with higher borrowings will still have decent equity.

In a declining market banks will reduce credit and look for higher deposits.

Central bank rules will not be adjusted in such a manner they are there to prevent this behaviour

Classy. getting a little close to the bone maybe.

Not sure which bone you're talking about...? I'm saying that you made a statement that didn't make sense, I suggested you figure out why people were overstretched in 2005/6 (your dates) as opposed to the current lending criteria... But you failed to understand what I was suggesting and instead made some weird personal statement.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

Villa05 wrote: »

Central bank rules will not be adjusted in such a manner they are there to prevent this behaviour
    Ive just come from a country where the central bank adjusted their lending rules as the property market was slowing down. Admittedly their lending conditions were way OTT 20% deposit for a home and 40% deposit if you were an investor. But Central banks will adjust lending criteria, they can make it more difficult, as they have done or they can make it easier, as they will do when required.

Villa05 wrote: »

I'm well aware of that, those hoping to buy in a drop will struggle to get finance at all.

I'm just agreeing that it's not the worst idea I've ever heard, bare in mind the powers that be are up to their neck in property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I'm well aware of that, those hoping to buy in a drop will struggle to get finance at all.

Not so. Those with a good savings history with that hefty deposit will still get credit, just like in the last crash. Lending from banks back then for mortgages was reduced not wiped out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement