Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 not loading from tape

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So after discovering the problem is with my tape drive I went back at it.

I cleaned the heads a lot more with WD40 Contact Cleaner (It specifically says it can be used for tape heads) and I visually aligned the head as I can't run a program to do so initially.

I managed to get it to read something (Stuff like - "FOUND xCa" etc)
    I played around with the alignment and eventually go it to read "COMMANDO" ( the tape I was loading) but it didn't get far past the "FOUND" part....

I then re-entered the alignment program and it makes the screen flash a bit and a few times, for a split second, I could see that dots you are supposed to use to align, but they are all over the place (not in rows)
    I'll keep fiddling with it, but I suspect the head is not good.

Someone over on Lemon64 suggested it could be magnetised.

I'm reluctant to spend money on a demagnetiser as there's no guarantee that's the issue.

I'm currently looking at videos on how to make one - but I'll need a 12VAC (or around 12V) power adapter which I'm not sure I have (lots of regular DC adapters, no AC)

I don't suppose anybody round here has one they can lend me ??

BTW - here's the head, which I think looks as clean as I'll get it:
    IMG-20190108-213708.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

My take on this is that your time is worth money, how much does another tape deck cost?

eddhorse wrote: »
    My take on this is that your time is worth money, how much does another tape deck cost?
    Yeah - I hear you.

Apparently there's a deguasser in work and I might be able to use it. I'm looking into it.
    At this point it's pointless as I've ordered an SD2IEC anyhow.

That being said, I just want to make it work as it was MY tape drive back in the day - does that make any sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The C64 power supply has 9V AC output (NES is also 9V AC), that may be enough to generate a weak magnetic field.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Is the c64 affected by the chutney field? Worth considering.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Just came across this thread.
    Remember the VIC 20 and then the COmmodore 84 when they first came out.
    Altho I had no technical nor computing knowledge was able to dive in and experiment.
    Recall entering a database of 700 records on the Vic and being able to search is sequentially on the tape.
    They were great machines

Is the c64 affected by the chutney field? Worth considering.
    The what now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

• Advertisement
Advertisement