Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accident / options

Options
  • 03-02-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

A guy rear ended my car this morning and straight admitted responsibility, I just glad everyone was ok and stupidly didn't get details

I now a creak or cramp in my neck and possible whiplash

What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Posting in the correct forum is one option

Did u bump your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Options are

A go to motors section
    B go to insurance section
    C go to legal section
    D go to a hospital

Or

E make up how you got a bargain on coffee while waiting for the Gardai to arrive !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Your neck will be ok

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you've no details at all there's pretty much nothing you can do.

DId you not take down his name and number or licence plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why did you not get details? Did you get his registration number or name or anything? Much damage to your car? My advice for now is go to a doctor and get seen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Harry321 wrote: »
    A guy rear ended my car this morning and straight admitted responsibility, I just glad everyone was ok and stupidly didn't get details

What are my options?

Do you have any information at all? Tell your insurance company, and report it to the Gards just so a record of it is made should the other party come back later and say you reversed into him.

Whiplash can take a day or two to come on. I got it fairly badly myslef but never persued it compensation wise, which I easily could have as I was in pain for a few days.

If it wasn't a bad accident though, you'll be over it soon enough hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Moved from Bargain Alerts to Motors (Hopefully its more at home here)

M

Go to a doctor first.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Threads merged

Go see a GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What are my options?

If you didnt get any details then not much tbh, unless there was CCTV cameras near the accident location it will be incredibly difficult to track him down.

As others have said though, go see your gp and hopefully its nothing more than a twinge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Harry321

I have his phone number and he is local just didn't get insurance details. Also another woman would gave seen it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

What are my options?

I assume there was no damage at all to the car as you didnt bother to take ins details.

Always amazes me how people can diagnose whiplash after they where feeling fine at the accident.... they get home and strangely then feel injured..

take two aspirin and go to bed

M

I have his phone number and he is local just didn't get insurance details. Also another woman would gave seen it happening

Go see a doctor if your hurt.

robtri wrote: »
    I assume there was no damage at all to the car as you didnt bother to take ins details.

Always amazes me how people can diagnose whiplash after they where feeling fine at the accident.... they get home and strangely then feel injured..

Good lad, hide behind your keyboard and be disrespectful....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Are you thinking of a whiplash claim?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Go see your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I could be wrong here but what I think you have is known as "a sore neck". To be honest if you car was in drivable condition after the crash, never mind in a condition so good that you didn't bother to get the other guys details, you don't have whiplash.

What I recommend is adjusting the seat in your car correctly from now on. This will greatly reduce the chances of getting a neck injury in involved in an accident again(hopefully that will never happen!). The headrest should be at a height where it will contact the back of your skull not you neck. The seat back should be adjusted vertically enough so that when you're in a normal seating position your head is 4cm or less from the headrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Amazes me that people think whiplash is something you immediately identify as an injury AT the scene of an accident. Adrenalin, concern for children and others who were in the car, the occupants of the other car and countless other things take priority.

It's often when you sit down and relax later that you realise you've suffered an injury. Much the same as you would feel after taking part in an arduous sporting event.

Take a bit of advice and educate yourself about the mechanism of injury and symptoms before you dismiss it so flippantly.

OP, drop down to your local Garda station and report the accident and give the drivers details. They'll help both of you exchanging details and you're required to make a report anyway for insurance purposes.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but what I think you have is known as "a sore neck". To be honest if you car was in drivable condition after the crash, never mind in a condition so good that you didn't bother to get the other guys details, you don't have whiplash.

What I recommend is adjusting the seat in your car correctly from now on. This will greatly reduce the chances of getting a neck injury in involved in an accident again(hopefully that will never happen!). The headrest should be at a height where it will contact the back of your skull not you neck. The seat back should be adjusted vertically enough so that when you're in a normal seating position your head is 4cm or less from the headrest.

Sore neck? Maybe, maybe not.

(Mis) Diagnosing somebodies injury from behind your keyboard and offering advice on seat adjustment is misleading.

OP, see your GP.

Sore neck? Maybe, maybe not.

(Mis) Diagnosing somebodies injury from behind your keyboard and offering advice on seat adjustment is misleading.

OP, see your GP.

Well I think it's very unlikely that the OP has suffered any serious damage if their car was in a condition good enough to not even bother getting the details from the person that hit them. I don't doubt that their neck might be sore, it's a sensitive and weak part of the body. The OP described it themselves as "a creak or cramp". Whiplash is excruciatingly sore so they would hardly have described it this way would they? The best thing they could do is rest it and if t's still sore in 3-5 days go to the doctor then.

• Advertisement

Well I think it's very unlikely that the OP has suffered any serious damage if their car was in a condition good enough to not even bother getting the details from the person that hit them. I don't doubt that their neck might be sore, it's a sensitive and weak part of the body. The OP described it themselves as "a creak or cramp". Whiplash is excruciatingly sore so they would hardly have described it this way would they? The best thing they could do is rest it and if t's still sore in 3-5 days go to the doctor then.

Whiplash is a spectrum injury. It may be excrutiatingly painful or a persistent, prolonged injury, with dull aching, compensatory muscle tension, headaches and disturbed sleep as it was in my case. No claim made on my part, so I'm not speaking as a recipient or pursuer of compensation.

A neck injury is serious stuff. 20-30 years down the line the difference between taking prescribed anti-inflamatories and temporary immobilisation via a collar or support could be massive.

For the sake of €60 for a GP visit, your suggestion of waiting is a bit foolish. The OP has neck pain. He should go and see a professional. End of story.

Whiplash is a spectrum injury. It may be excrutiatingly painful or a persistent, prolonged injury, with dull aching, compensatory muscle tension, headaches and disturbed sleep as it was in my case. No claim made on my part, so I'm not speaking as a recipient or pursuer of compensation.

A neck injury is serious stuff. 20-30 years down the line the difference between taking prescribed anti-inflamatories and temporary immobilisation via a collar or support could be massive.

For the sake of €60 for a GP visit, your suggestion of waiting is a bit foolish. The OP has neck pain. He should go and see a professional. End of story.

Perhaps you're right. There's a serious problem of people over stating neck problems these days though.

I just have my doubts that a crash as minor as described would cause serious injury. Maybe the OP is understating the incident.

Amazes me that people think whiplash is something you immediately identify as an injury AT the scene of an accident. Adrenalin, concern for children and others who were in the car, the occupants of the other car and countless other things take priority.

It's often when you sit down and relax later that you realise you've suffered an injury. Much the same as you would feel after taking part in an arduous sporting event.

Take a bit of advice and educate yourself about the mechanism of injury and symptoms before you dismiss it so flippantly.

OP, drop down to your local Garda station and report the accident and give the drivers details. They'll help both of you exchanging details and you're required to make a report anyway for insurance purposes.

This is exactly the case, I was more concerned about occupants and happy that all ok..my neck was sore at time and I actually relayed that to other driver, dint ask me why I didn't get details save for his phone number. Anyway I am hoping to GP tomorrow and depending on prognosis, will request insurance details, if he refuses, is my only option the guards or do I just ring my insurance company and report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

if he refuses, is my only option the guards or do I just ring my insurance company and report it?

i would do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭elperello

True story

I was in an car accident years ago and later in the day had a soreness in the neck.

I was eventually convinced to go to a GP the next day.

He examined me and told me that he had a woman patient some years previously who was in a car crash and felt ok apart from some pain in the neck. She didn't consult a doctor. The next day she sat down to eat dinner and suddenly collapsed and died. Apparently her neck was broken.

He immediately sent me to an Orthopedic Consultant for an x-ray and further investigation. Turned out I got the all clear.

Please heed the advice from other posters go and get checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Inbox wrote: »
    Your neck will be ok

The OP would be foolish to take any notice of the above posts. He needs to get the opinion of a medical professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Good lad, hide behind your keyboard and be disrespectful....

how is it being disrespectful....
    he asked for an opinion and he got mine....

Duiske wrote: »
    The OP would be foolish to take any notice of the above posts. He needs to get the opinion of a medical professional.

Maybe it is your post that is foolish?

Very hard to say with so little information. Based on what we do know it is not unreasonable to assume that it was a gentle tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Maybe it is your post that is foolish?

Very hard to say with so little information. Based on what we do know it is not unreasonable to assume that it was a gentle tip.

Isn't it also not unreasonable to assume that the people offering medical advice on this thread are in no way qualified to do so ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@Posters. No diagnosing or giving medical advice, it's against site guidelines
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_medicalpro

Advertisement