Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

kwat wrote: »
    Quick question.

Currently saving towards a deposit and as part of this, along with my own savings, I'm hoping to be gifted an amount by my parents. I understand I will need a letter from them stating it's a gift and they don't require it back however in reality I will pay them back this amount over time.

Does anyone know if this letter usually suffices or if the banks can look for further information on the source of funds for the gift e.g. bank statements from my parents etc.

Thanks

It may depend on what % they're giving you, but mine didn't. There was a gift letter as part of the application, then another declaration prior to closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kwat

It may depend on what % they're giving you, but mine didn't. There was a gift letter as part of the application, then another declaration prior to closing.

No the gift won't be above €20k so hopefully just the gift letter will suffice.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kwat

In order to get approval in principal, you won't even need the letter from them. The bank only need to look further if the gift is above €20,000. At least this was the case for my application (didn't need gift in the end however).

Thanks for that - was your application pretty recently?
    Won't be above €20k so hopefully just the letter will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thanks for that - was your application pretty recently?
    Won't be above €20k so hopefully just the letter will suffice.

Got approved at the end of September :) Best of luck with your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

Hi,

I am in full time permanent employment with the same company several years. My Fiancee is with a new company, has just come out of her three month probationary period, and has been advised that her contract is fixed term (12 months with options to offer further contracts down the line, she initially believed it was a permanent role).

Will any bank consider any percentage of her salary at the 6 month mark, or base their calculations on mine alone?

If they would consider her salary, would it be as simple as mine + her proportion X 3.5?

Would a broker have any extra leverage with this, or is it futile even trying?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

howtolive wrote: »
    I am in full time permanent employment with the same company several years. My Fiancee is with a new company...

Best bet is to just ring a few of them and explain the situation, you never know how they might see things depending on a lot of factors specific to your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

No the gift won't be above €20k so hopefully just the gift letter will suffice.

Thanks

Mine was only 15k, still needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

howtolive wrote: »
    Hi,

I am in full time permanent employment with the same company several years. My Fiancee is with a new company, has just come out of her three month probationary period, and has been advised that her contract is fixed term (12 months with options to offer further contracts down the line, she initially believed it was a permanent role).

Contracts can roll for no longer than 2 years. At the end of two years the company has to either offer a permanent role or cease employment. They cannot offer another fixed term for another 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Just wondering? We want to get a mortgage of 290k, house worth 330k. We have around 45k of a deposit which we have saved ourselves over the years. I'm on 70k, permanent state job. Husband is on 38k, permanent job which he started recently in a start up business. We are second time buyers and are renting out our other house for 4 years, we have been renting ourselves for the last 4 years. We have no other debts. I don't want to sell the other house yet as I'd barely break even on the mortgage So we meet the criteria for salary but not deposit yet, would anyone know would we be eligible for an exemption on the strength of my job and the fact that we have a good track record with savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Yes banks can grant exemptions, go talk to one or a broker, also if you are still in negative equity on first house then the 20% deposit doesn't apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Does anyone here have any experience of getting a loan to income exemption? I'm in my mid to late 20s on 65k and would be looking for a mortgage of somewhere around 300k

Is a loan to income ratio of almost 5 possible with the exemption? Will being single help or hinder this?

I'm not at the stage yet where I will be reaching out to banks/brokers, but just wanted to see if there are people in a similar position further along the line on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

For exemptions, salary * 4.5 is the maximum they will go.

It's worth noting that banks can only provide exemptions on a limited percentage of their total mortgages a year. This means that (1) they will only offer them to the most favourable applicants (2) mortgage applications made earlier in the year stand a better chance of receiving an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭businessdit

Hi folks -

It's strange how my income comes in as I am self employed and also employed in a steady government job.

My PAYE gross income is €37,500. (Will rise to 42,800 in 3 years due to increments)

Also I am self employed and made 20,000 euro in 2015.
    In 2016 I established a company and made a profit of about 60,000 euro.
    This year we should be on track to make a mid-year profit of about 30,000 euro by June.

In June I want to get a mortgage approval and buy house over the summer.
    I have about 65,000 cash in the bank for a deposit.
    I am saving regularly so should be able to show a track record of savings.

Can anyone estimate how much of a mortgage I will get?
    I'm confused because of my double incomes.

Thanks
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Got our keys Friday, the painting has started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

My experience was that the bank does take salary into account but they focused more on savings and rent (if any). How much have you regular saved per month over the past 6 months and how much rent do you pay?

CPTM wrote: »
    My experience was that the bank does take salary into account but they focused more on savings and rent (if any). How much have you regular saved per month over the past 6 months and how much rent do you pay?

Thanks for the reply. I am saving about 1350pm and pay rent of €370 on top of that. Also every month I have about 5000 profit coming into the company every month, but I'm jut leaving that cash build up in the company so no directly taking a wage from the company.

So as you can imagine don't really know how they will like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Thanks for the reply. I am saving about 1350pm and pay rent of €370 on top of that. Also every month I have about 5000 profit coming into the company every month, but I'm jut leaving that cash build up in the company so no directly taking a wage from the company.

So as you can imagine don't really know how they will like that...

You should start drawing a salary ASAP.

Consult an accountant.

You should start drawing a salary ASAP.

Consult an accountant.

Thanks for the reply.

Why should I start drawing a salary?
    The business needs to grow and will require investment in time.
    So I pay 12.5% corp tax instead of 52% income tax.
    Building company savings for security.

Are you saying that if I don't draw a salary then none of this company income will support my mortgage application? I am the sole owner/director of the company.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that if I don't draw a salary then none of this company income will support my mortgage application? I am the sole owner/director of the company.

Thanks

While I haven't done it myself I wonder if speaking to a broker might help you. Seems like like a sensible decision not to draw a salary based on the taxes. This I'm sure could be explained. A broker might have experience in this type of application.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

CPTM wrote: »

Not sure whether this is the case with all banks but a friend of mine had recently set up his own business similar to you. Before the bank would take into account that business/salary for mortgage purposes they wanted 3 years of audited accounts for the business.

Whether this is all banks or done on case by case basis I don't know.

• Advertisement

lfc200 wrote: »
    Not sure whether this is the case with all banks but a friend of mine had recently set up his own business similar to you. Before the bank would take into account that business/salary for mortgage purposes they wanted 3 years of audited accounts for the business.

Whether this is all banks or done on case by case basis I don't know.

Thanks for the info - I will have accounts for being self employed 20,000 profit and accounts for 2016 of 60,000 profit and will be able to get a letter from my accountant with accounts to date of about 30,000 profit for 2017 come the summer I hope. Surely this will suffice?

It's a pity that no-one seems to have found themselves in a similar situation!
    Very worried that for all of my work I won't be able to get a reasonable mortgae on a technicality.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Very worried that for all of my work I won't be able to get a reasonable mortgae on a technicality.... :(

You asked the question on a Sunday night. Doesn't mean than nobody has been in your situation, just that nobody who was online on a Sunday night could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks for the info - I will have accounts for being self employed 20,000 profit and accounts for 2016 of 60,000 profit and will be able to get a letter from my accountant with accounts to date of about 30,000 profit for 2017 come the summer I hope. Surely this will suffice?

Well technically the profit is not yours it belongs to the company and while it sounds like your business is being pretty successful I don't think it could be taken into account. Pure speculation on my part though. That's just how I would see it

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

You need to look at the Close Company Surcharge. Whoever is filing your (means your company's) Corporation Tax Returns should pay CCS on undistributed profits.

Also, company is a separate legal entity. You need to have a chat with your accountant, if there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spiderlover

Just want to bump this in the hope that someone can provide so insight
    Hi everyone,
    Long time lurker first time poster. Myself and the other half have AIP and have gone sale agreed on a place and have paid booking deposit. The valuation survey report has been sent to the bank so hoping for letter of offer this week. We have a structural survey booked for later this week so everything is moving along. What I was wondering was when we should expect contracts to come across from the sellers solicitor, we're heading into week 3 at this point and I thought they'd be over by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭lbyrne121

Has anyone bought a house owned by the banks through an EA?  Just put in an offer for a house but wondering how long it will take to hear back as it is your standard owner occupier house?

Anyone any experience with this?  will I have to wait weeks to even see if offer was accepted or rejected? 
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

For personal mortgages a bank will only look at salary drawn because firstly profit does not necessarily equal cash and also any profits and/or positive cash flow reside with the company.

If you were looking for a business loan the bank would look at this different because the loan is given to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just want to bump this in the hope that someone can provide so insight

You're into how long is a piece of string territory, there is no standard answer. You should have your solicitor check with theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spiderlover

Thanks ThisRegard. I'm gonna chase my solicitor on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

lbyrne121 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought a house owned by the banks through an EA?  Just put in an offer for a house but wondering how long it will take to hear back as it is your standard owner occupier house?

Anyone any experience with this?  will I have to wait weeks to even see if offer was accepted or rejected? 
    TIA

Normally the banks will ask the EA to run a fairly structured marketing campaign, which could include 3/4 weekends of open views and a minimum number of private viewings also.

The EA in a lot of instances won't know what the minimum price acceptable to the bank is.

Generally the EA will put all offer to the bank as they come in and then the bank will ask the EA to recommend the best offers to them by the end of the agreed marketing time frame.

There are obviously exceptions to the above. Another thing to keep in mind is that the EA will only be dealing with one contact in the bank / receiver, and that person will require sign off from their superiors. Depending on how long the property is on the market, you could be expected to wait 3 weeks or so IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement