Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nope, my son has one and I wouldn't honestly recommend one over a 3DS XL.
    Particularly when considering some very impressive 3D games like Super Mario 3D Land and Kirbys Triple Trouble.

I didn't mean it was superior to the XL :P I was just suggesting it as a cheap way to get going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Andrew76 wrote: »
    €90 for an XL? Was it working? :P Super price that.

Though choice TheStook. Both are great machines imo.

Do you have a PS+ subscription? If you do then you'll at least get the 'free' games each month (although you're not guaranteed to like them ofc) and also that cross-buy ability. I don't have a PS4 myself so can't say how great a replacement controller it would be - the Vita only has 2 (not that great) shoulder buttons as opposed to 4 on the PS4 controller. Otherwise the unit is a great machine, the thumb sticks are great too, amazing screen.

The 3DSXL (don't bother with non-XL) is superb. Not so long ago I wasn't bothered by it and got the Vita instead. But once I actually did some research on the games available, specifically seeing 3D Land in action, I went out and got the Yoshi edition and haven't regretted it for a second. I got it new in Argos for €190 I think, it's €175 now.

Yeah I have a ps+ account and like most im pretty disappointed with the games so far other than maybe Stick it to the man oddly enough. So that isnt really a big factor for me.

And the Yoshi Argos deal is the one I'm eyeing up. The Ps Vita just looks so slick, in terms of gaming Id be better off with the 3DS due to all the amazing exclusives.

Thanks lads, I'll be sure to post whatever I do get in the end anyway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

TheStook wrote: »
    Yeah I have a ps+ account and like most im pretty disappointed with the games so far other than maybe Stick it to the man oddly enough. So that isnt really a big factor for me.

And the Yoshi Argos deal is the one I'm eyeing up. The Ps Vita just looks so slick, in terms of gaming Id be better off with the 3DS due to all the amazing exclusives.

Thanks lads, I'll be sure to post whatever I do get in the end anyway!

Agreed. If I was forced to choose between the two then I'd go with the 3DSXL for the above reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

I was playing cideys favourite beat em up on the XL recently and was blown away by the reworked graphics and 3D effect and it made me want one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

waveform wrote: »
    I was playing cideys favourite beat em up on the XL recently and was blown away by the reworked graphics and 3D effect and it made me want one!

I didn't know Batman Returns was on the 3DS ;)

Actually, following playing Vanillaware games on the PS3, Vita and PS2, I have had to modify my position somewhat on the whole scrolling beat'em up genre.
    So now I will give Vanillaware, Capcom and Konami developed ones a pass, the rest are still sh1te, especially Golden @rse and Streets of Rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got one of these last week after a lot of searching. For those that aren't familiar with it, it was a kickstarter project to build an open source handheld console.
    The kickstarter itself was successful, in that all the money was raised and product got made although some backers are still waiting for their units even though they are available for the great unwashed like me to buy online.

The hardware is a nice piece of kit, its fairly light and all the controls are well positioned and have a good tactile feel to them.
    The screen is a 3.5" 4:3 unit and is low resolution (320x240) compared a modern phone, but that's the point of it - its close to the original resolution of most old consoles.
    The core software is still being actively developed, HDMI tv out is still ongoing and vibration support still needs to be added. But there seems to be a decent enough core group of people working on this as well as the emulators.

So far all the emulators I've tried have worked great, all the usual consoles & handhelds are supported. I've read some people are complaining about the performance with N64 & PSX emulation but I got it for the earlier 8 & 16 bit stuff so not bothered.

Cost about the same as a Vita, so is it worth it ? Hard to know really but I like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's nice to have a FDS back in the house :) The old one I used to have wasn't in nearly as good shape as this new one.

Famicom+FDSsml.jpg

Famicom+FDS2sml.jpg

Must clean that famicom expansion port at some stage, for shame :o

You know you have a problem when your paying good money for sealed demo discs :o

e3a8e3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    You know you have a problem when your paying good money for sealed demo discs :o

e3a8e3.jpg

I got a lot of fun out of that demo disc!
    That's the one with demos of Pataank and the clip of Batman and Mr Freeze in the animated series isn't it?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I got a lot of fun out of that demo disc!
    That's the one with demos of Pataank and the clip of Batman and Mr Freeze in the animated series isn't it?

No that was demo 1 or maybe 2. Batman clip was on a disc included with the 3DO wasn't it? The purple/blue disc?

This is what's on this one.

2a8e3a.jpg

• Advertisement

3DNO!!!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FzF3EwNz.jpg&t=542&c=r5xZ05qkGlBdDw

i cri evertim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

No that was demo 1 or maybe 2. Batman clip was on a disc included with the 3DO wasn't it? The purple/blue disc?

This is what's on this one.

2a8e3a.jpg

Ah, you needed that demo disk to manage the onboard memory for save games - ah, the days before people thought it would be a good idea to have that application built in eh? No wait, the Sega/Mega CD had that built in...(shakes fist at 3DO company!)

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Ah, you needed that demo disk to manage the onboard memory for save games - ah, the days before people thought it would be a good idea to have that application built in eh? No wait, the Sega/Mega CD had that built in...(shakes fist at 3DO company!)

Later versions of the hardware had it built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

GBA (Pictures are too big for some reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

It's not games or new but game related and retro - my Sonic the Comic collection. Decided to take some photos of them, the old school Amy cover in the robots hand is from March 94 so the oldest I have afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sera wrote: »
    It's not games or new but game related and retro - my Sonic the Comic collection. Decided to take some photos of them, the old school Amy cover in the robots hand is from March 94 so the oldest I have afaik.
    I couldn't add more than 5 photos to here's the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

€10 in Argos, never played any of them past Crystal so gotta root the Ds out.

20140723_164702[1].jpg

20140723_164702[1].jpg

Well I'll be visiting argos in the morning

Not quite what I went for, but had been looking for it for a while and for 15 I was pretty happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

marko93 wrote: »
    Not quite what I went for, but had been looking for it for a while and for 15 I was pretty happy

Really liked that on the 3ds. Couldn't put it down when I got it.

• Advertisement

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Really liked that on the 3ds. Couldn't put it down when I got it.

I'm just hoping I can get to grips without a circle pad :D

20140723_164702[1].jpg

The title of the game just made me think of this legendary video from Siggas!

Bad language so NSFW btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

marko93 wrote: »
    I'm just hoping I can get to grips without a circle pad :D

I got it at launch in a pack with the pad included, but I prefer to play without it tbh.

Picked this up from parcel motel a few mins ago. No, I haven't opened it, thats how it arrived!!
    To be fair to pmotel, it looks like it arrived ripped open(item still in the packet and still bubble wrapped and taped luckily) and they put it in one of there parcel motel letterbag things before sending it to my motel.

a3f78b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Picked this up from parcel motel a few mins ago. No, I haven't opened it, thats how it arrived!!
    To be fair to pmotel, it looks like it arrived ripped open(item still in the packet and still bubble wrapped and taped luckily) and they put it in one of there parcel motel letterbag things before sending it to my motel.
    But what is it?

Ron DMC wrote: »
    But what is it?

It's a white hole

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

a3f78b.jpg

Thats happened to me a few times with Parcel Motel, Stuff opened, they must kick them around the place. I only was looking at the parcel motel website yesterday, they take a photograph of every package you get and put it in your account history.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Thats happened to me a few times with Parcel Motel, Stuff opened, they must kick them around the place. I only was looking at the parcel motel website yesterday, they take a photograph of every package you get and put it in your account history.

Yeah, I check that pic before heading down to the motel. If it's something cool I go and get it, if not I wait a day or two and let more stuff arrive and get the lot then.

Parcel Motel really need an option to notify people when a package has arrived at their facility, and is put in your account with the picture.

I'm sick sh*t of having to manually log in and check it everytime.

And sometimes there's a tracking number in there also which you can use on Nightline's site.

But there's not much point as you may not see it as you're not notified.

The only notification they do is an email or text notification when the parcel arrives in your locker.

I'd really like if someone made an app for it, there are existing tracking apps like "Deliveries" on Android that you can track packages with every courier in the world.

I might contact the developers to see if they would be interested in adding support for Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

waveform wrote: »
    Parcel Motel really need an option to notify people when a package has arrived at their facility, and is put in your account with the picture.

I'm sick sh*t of having to manually log in and check it everytime.

And sometimes there's a tracking number in there also which you can use on Nightline's site.

But there's not much point as you may not see it as you're not notified.

The only notification they do is an email or text notification when the parcel arrives in your locker.

I'd really like if someone made an app for it, there are existing tracking apps like "Deliveries" on Android that you can track packages with every courier in the world.

I might contact the developers to see if they would be interested in adding support for Parcel Motel.

YOU HAVE TO LOG IN YOURSELF AFTER GETTING THE SMS / EMAIL? THE HORROR!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement