Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Quick question. how do you clean between your front seats and center console? The long piece for hoover is too wide to go all the way down? Anything short of taking our the seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Quick question. how do you clean between your front seats and center console? The long piece for hoover is too wide to go all the way down? Anything short of taking our the seats?

Air line and give it a blast, or look for a kit for the end of the vacuum which will have fairly thin flexible attachments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

As above; you'll get 95% of it with a flexible fitting, made out of tough rubber so it can form to areas that are tight. I find having a toothbrush and a detailing brush at hand too, to loosen embedded dirt and have the vacuum next to it when you are brushing to suck it up straight away. Often having to move the seats into every possible position helps getting to harder to reach areas a little easier! Fully kacked up and seat back cleaning from the front and then the seat fully forward, cleaning from the back seat will get most areas....then you need rubber arms to get the rest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Curran wrote: »
    Since the recent car you picked up was an E39, Im surprised you didnt see this thread! :)
    Any further questions, give me a shout! ;)

Curran, if you're still pointing people at that thread you might want to update the links in the second post as they no longer go to the expected products...

Thanks for the heads up....had to rebuild the site so all links no longer work! Will have to update tomorrow. Not something that occurred to me! Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Have a Gtechniq G2 kit for the windows on my car, but I was thinking of getting the back section of the car tinted. Would this stuff be safe to put on after the window tint, as in not react to the film etc??

Isnt glass tint usually applied on the inside of the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Isnt glass tint usually applied on the inside of the window?

bit of a noob when it comes to these things!, only afterwards I was thinking it might be put on from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chrispb

anybody any experience in dealing with matt paint. picking up a new car for the missus tomorrow and it has factory matt paint.

I want to figure out a safe cleaning proceedure so I can keep it looking as it should , any suggestions as far as products ?

2 buckets, wash mitt, drying towel, matte shampoo and there is also matte quick detailer that you can get to give a deep appearance to the colour.

• Advertisement

Guys.

I'm about to buy some Chemical Guys APC and Chemical Guys Bug & Tar wash.
    My cars are washed infrequently so I figure a more hard core shampoo is the way to go.

Have any of you used those products? I'm particularly interested to see if the Shampoo is actually any good at removing tar. Is it a jack of all trades master of none type product or will it do the job?

As always, your input is appreciated.

Cheers
    Gordon

CG's Bug & Tar Wash is more like a Jack of all Trades - it certainly hasnt the power of a dedicated tar remover.
    Perhaps if used on a regular basis, it would help remove small deposits and thus helping to keep on top of the issue. But to be honest, its more of a bug remover. For those summer days when the car gets destroyed at the front. It will be an aggressive cleaner, and as a result any protection on the car will as a result suffer. But if it is used as a bug remover, you'd only have to re-apply protection on a relatively small area.

Both it and the APC are not ideal wash products if you have protection on the car. If your car has no protection on it either way, then asssuming you havent got a snow foam lance, the APC in a pump sprayer and applied and let dwell, car hosed down and washed with regular shampoo, would be the way I'd go at it

Thanks for the reply.
    I was more thinking of the APC for tyres & trim rather than the paint, well maybe the door jams etc. I'll think more about your points above

A well protected car will always be easier to wash too. Wolf's Chemicals range of waxes are durable and even put up with APC washes to a certain degree.
    This is a picture from Wolf's Chemicals themselves, who say, its been on the car for 10 weeks and 4 APC washes... still going strong!

Click here; image is massive and didnt want to post it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Made a quick list of stuff I might need for the E39's first proper wash, based on you recommendation page on BMWHause Curran.

How does this look?

DaShed_zpsff9ef8a5.png

Anything major I'm missing or should have bar the wax? Haven't added that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

NCT on volvo tuesday.

Want to clean the grey boot lining and cream mats.

Whats my best bet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

NCT on volvo tuesday.

Want to clean the grey boot lining and cream mats.

Whats my best bet ?

My son used this on light grey ( almost white ) carpets and seat inserts in the Mk1 vRS
    I was astounded with the job it did on them. Would never be without a bottle of it. Fantastic around the engine bay,,, under wheel arches, scrubbing the tyres prior to dressing.
    I love the stuff.

http://www.detailingshed.com/pre-wash/117-bilt-hamber-surfex-hd-.html?search_query=bilt&results=8

Anything major I'm missing or should have bar the wax? Haven't added that yet.

In terms of the exterior, glass cleaner and tyre shine?
    50Cal 20:20 and Orchard Autocare Glitz

Thanks for the reply.
    I was more thinking of the APC for tyres & trim rather than the paint, well maybe the door jams etc. I'll think more about your points above

Slight change of plan. I went with some Orchard are tar remover and some Chemical guys glosworkz shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I have a lot to do!

• Advertisement

Slight change of plan. I went with some Orchard are tar remover and some Chemical guys glosworkz shampoo.

Thought that was you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Howdy.

Didnt want to start a thread so thought I'd ask here you don't mind.

Do any of you treat your wipers with anything?

Not the wipers but the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Slattsy wrote: »
    Howdy.

Didnt want to start a thread so thought I'd ask here you don't mind.

Giving them a wipe clean helps keep them last a little longer especially with the bad weather and grit.

If they start streaking or lines take them off and replace.

Some people think they never need to change these even when the strips are waving around after wearing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I seem to go through a lot of wipers for some reason, but maybe i just need to clean them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chrispb

2 buckets, wash mitt, drying towel, matte shampoo and there is also matte quick detailer that you can get to give a deep appearance to the colour.

just as a quick follow up to this, im puttiong together an order on detailing shed, I found the chemical guys matt shampoo but havnt come across anything in terms of adding protection ie a sealant or something to repel water better. any suggestions? Its matt black if that makes any difference

Currently out of stock of the matte quick detailer.
    Back in stock early the week after next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Hi chaps.

Anyone recommend a polish with decent cutting?

A few months back I did a full wash, clay, super resin polish, black light wax and hybrid v7 sealent on my black Megane. Came up well just not as well as I expected after 2 days work! Under soft light the swirls were still quite visible. Therefore I think I need a decent polish as I'm certain the car has not ever been polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Hi chaps.

Anyone recommend a polish with decent cutting?

A few months back I did a full wash, clay, super resin polish, black light wax and hybrid v7 sealent on my black Megane. Came up well just not as well as I expected after 2 days work! Under soft light the swirls were still quite visible. Therefore I think I need a decent polish as I'm certain the car has not ever been polished.

Have you got a polisher?

If you have, meguiars polishes m105 and m205 are easy enough to work with and will tackle most jobs. It just depends on the car and paint. Carpro fixer & reflect are also quite good, as are the scholl concepts polishing range.

If you don't really have a polisher, your left with just filling them in with a glaze. Srp doesn't do a bad job of hiding swirls but really your right you need to remove them permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Slattsy wrote: »

I treat mine with 303 wiper treatment pads. Usually give the blades a proper wash followed by a dry and leave them on the radiator for a while then apply the treatment, let it "soak", remove excess and back on the radiator for a few mins.

I used get them from cleancar.ie but haven't seen them for sale anywhere else.

Advertisement