Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's not like he was forced to offer that in the first place! Not anyone's fault that Ireland happened to score 7 goals and that he said 5% per goal.

Also, it was only for a day or 2 so he didn't do himself TOO much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

vectra wrote: »
    Not me.
    I spoke with Dave about this and told him I would not be taking advantage of his situation.
    It is bad enough one Supplier closing down in this country without driving what is left out of business.

If many, many people jumped on the bandwagon and ordered in the region of €10k worth of products,
    He would have to let them go for €6.5k

How do you think this would affect his business?

Not for me I am afraid,

Totally uncalled for. :(

Utter nonsense. If a company makes a claim like that they should be capable and prepared to back it up. The betting on the game was Ireland minus 6 goals so it wasn't that much of a stretch to expect 7 goals, the talk all week was of breaking the 8 goal record....

That aside I'm sure Dave won't be going out of business, as a result, not making much money for sure but getting plenty extra customers and some very positive publicity. I personally wouldn't have seen it at all only that it was actually a sponsored post on Facebook. So to expect people not to take it up is rubbish.

I sent my own payment as a gift as to offset a tiny bit of the fees.

All in all I say 100% fair play, I sell detailing products myself but any extra bits I need for personal use in the future I will order from Dave, so no doubt it will have worked out better for himself in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It's not like he was forced to offer that in the first place! Not anyone's fault that Ireland happened to score 7 goals and that he said 5% per goal.

Also, it was only for a day or 2 so he didn't do himself TOO much damage.

It didnt take much persuasion to get people to jump on the gravy train either did it?
    Loyal friends!!
    where are ye? :rolleyes:
    Mr Detail wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. If a company makes a claim like that they should be capable and prepared to back it up. The betting on the game was Ireland minus 6 goals so it wasn't that much of a stretch to expect 7 goals, the talk all week was of breaking the 8 goal record....

That aside I'm sure Dave won't be going out of business, as a result, not making much money for sure but getting plenty extra customers and some very positive publicity. I personally wouldn't have seen it at all only that it was actually a sponsored post on Facebook. So to expect people not to take it up is rubbish.

I sent my own payment as a gift as to offset a tiny bit of the fees.

All in all I say 100% fair play, I sell detailing products myself but any extra bits I need for personal use in the future I will order from Dave, so no doubt it will have worked out better for himself in the long run.

I wonder how many were sudden new customers and how many will send in new orders?

Weren't you very thoughtful now to make payment a gift. :P

Ah well
    Each to their own I guess.
    I would not class myself as a cheapskate at others expense.

Where has loyalty and morals gone in this country.

So you're telling me that you have never taken advantage of any offer?
    It didnt take much persuasion to get people to jump on the gravy train either did it?

Having only a day to put in an order generally makes you do it there and then without much persuasion :p

I've spent a LOT of money on stuff from Dave over the years but I didn't take advantage of this offer myself.

Loyal friends!!
    where are ye? :rolleyes:

I wonder how many were sudden new customers and how many will send in new orders?

Weren't you very thoughtful now to make payment a gift. :P

Ah well
    Each to their own I guess.
    I would not class myself as a cheapskate at others expense.

Where has loyalty and morals gone in this country.

I haven't heard the lads complaining so I won't take your negative garbish as a reflection on them.

I hope they profit hugely in the long run from their Gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Pipe down lads! :D

Should really have capped it at a certain %, but I didnt and couldnt go back on the offer that I said I'd do. Would have been worse for the business if I did; I reckon!
    Thought Ireland would have scored 4, maybe 5....and that would have been ideal for us, to be at break even point!!

Yes, we lost out quite a bit on the offer....but sure look, it has gotten a few people taking, which hopefully will mean good exposure and as a result, we'll see the benefit down the line. It's just hard to see that now. One or two ranges that we were hoping to add, will have to wait a while longer, and will take us a bit of time to get stock levels back to ideal levels, so that we're no having Out of Stock issues!
    We'll get through it though!

Hope everyone enjoys working on their cars, and post a few pictures when your done! :)

So you're telling me that you have never taken advantage of any offer?

Oh yes I did indeed.
    BUT
    there is a difference in getting 5%, 10% or even 15% off with a big company.
    But in fairness taking 35% off a small company trying to get by is similar to doing an Enda Kenny on the people of Ireland. :D

I've spent a LOT of money on stuff from Dave over the years but I didn't take advantage of this offer myself.

Fair play to you for not jumping on it.

I respect you for that.

I do see where you're coming from BUT I would think Dave would have been equally insulted if people didn't buy stuff.

Also, there's a difference between people like you and me who are always buying stuff from him and someone who signs up just for the offer. Of course, the hope is that they will continue to buy from Detailing Shed in the future and I hope this rings true!

I do see where you're coming from BUT I would think Dave would have been equally insulted if people didn't buy stuff.

Also, there's a difference between people like you and me who are always buying stuff from him and someone who signs up just for the offer. Of course, the hope is that they will continue to buy from Detailing Shed in the future and I hope this rings true!

That was exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Jaysus what did I start lol. To clarify, I have used DS before after being a long serving customer for cleancar.ie. I will continue to support DS as I buy a good bit throughout the year. Also I spent 60 quid not €€€'s!

• Advertisement

Dont want to dwell on the matter, but I look at it this way.....if the folk who bought stuff, be it new or previous customers, were happy with the service, and they return to buy a few more bits, then eventually, it will have paid off.

Vectra was not the only one to contact me, voicing similar sentiments - all of whom were told to take advantage of the offer, but still declined. Perhaps personal experience in owning their own business came into play, or whatever, but either way, they'll all be looked after in some way down the line, when they do eventually order something....good Karma, and all that! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Not sure if this is right place to ask looking to clear up the headlights on my Vw Bora. Tried using toothpaste and it cleaned them up a little bit but not to the way i want them. Can anyone recommend a restoration kit or something i could buy to get them back newish looking?

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Not sure if this is right place to ask looking to clear up the headlights on my Vw Bora. Tried using toothpaste and it cleaned them up a little bit but not to the way i want them. Can anyone recommend a restoration kit or something i could buy to get them back newish looking?

Whereabouts are you?

LawlessBoy wrote: »

Wet sanding with 1500 then 2000, a quick Machine Polish & decent sealant is the quickest and most cost effective method in my opinion.

Or pay someone to do it, prices range from €30 to €60 usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Does anyone know where I could get a good snow foam lance for a Karcher K series? Not sure where to go since cleancar shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get a good snow foam lance for a Karcher K series? Not sure where to go since cleancar shut down.

ask Curran on here or his site

Pops_20 wrote: »

http://www.detailingshed.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Whereabouts are you?

only seen this there vectra in D10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lads, now that I have an actual car I'd like to know how to detail it properly :)

Bar getting a machine polisher to get out the scratches/swirls on the paint, whats the best step-by-step method of cleaning a black car?

Also, what will I need?

Throw out the sponge 1st;)

We don't like them on here :)

You need really a jet washer so start there if possible then some cleaning gear.

there are some great write ups on here and look up detailingshed.ie for some things you will need.

The car will need to be cleaned, de tarred, de ironed, clayed, washed again using 2 bucket method, Micro fibre mitt and cloths as less likely to scratch.

Need polish/wax and if unsure ask curran or vectra or metz for best tips. they are good at what they do.

Happy detailing and plenty of before during and after pics.

• Advertisement

Throw out the sponge 1st;)

We don't like them on here :)

You need really a jet washer so start there if possible then some cleaning gear.

there are some great write ups on here and look up detailingshed.ie for some things you will need.

The car will need to be cleaned, de tarred, de ironed, clayed, washed again using 2 bucket method, Micro fibre mitt and cloths as less likely to scratch.

Need polish/wax and if unsure ask curran or vectra or metz for best tips. they are good at what they do.

Happy detailing and plenty of before during and after pics.

Thanks, we already have a power washer alright that we use on the cars and Microfibres are top of my list, DetailingShed the best place for sorting everything?

Thanks, we already have a power washer alright that we use on the cars and Microfibres are top of my list, DetailingShed the best place for sorting everything?

Curran on here runs/owns so he will do a good deal pm him and he can give you some tips and ideas as best to get starting off.

I get bits every so often so not all big money in one go.

Local motor factors and anywhere doing deals such as halfords when they do likes of 3 for 2.

Since the recent car you picked up was an E39, Im surprised you didnt see this thread! :)
    Any further questions, give me a shout! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You should have been informed that owning a black car means that you will never keep it looking clean Foxhole!! You can wash all you like but in the winter, dirt will spray up instantaneously and during the summer it will get covered in dust. I'd say if some of you detailing boys seen the state of the outside of my cars now, especially the focus, ye'd get heart failure :D

Black is heartache, but it looks great for a few hours when its done! :)

Curran wrote: »
    Since the recent car you picked up was an E39, Im surprised you didnt see this thread! :)
    Any further questions, give me a shout! ;)

Well. I have some reading to do.

Black is very high up as a color for my next car..:p

Carbon Black??? :P

Carbon Black??? :P

No.
    Wouldnt mind though :)

Black Magic Pearlescent :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Curran - You are right but its those few hours which matter :)

Advertisement