Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sold Car , Problems with buyer today

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goochy

U repulse me ! You represent everything that's wrong with this country !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

That's not how that works here. In Germany maybe, because taxes there are levied to keep the country going, while here its a case of "ah Jaysis, I'll be shcrewing that bashtard for every cent I can get".
    The fact is that many people here are, well not quite crooks, but you certainly have to cut every corner to survive. Because the state knows that fact, taxes are deliberately set too high to compensate for the evasion. So with a certain level of trickery, you're actually paying the right amount. If you are now being German about it and declare even a penny found in the street to be absolutely sure the state gets every single cent you owe them, you are in fact overpaying. Actually forget it, the same goes for Germany and everywhere else. The state wants to screw you to the max and if you let them, you won't get any thanks or help when you need care in your old age and the home costs €3k a month. Fcuk 'em, they'll only piss it away on rich bankers, vanity projects and election promises.

I had a respectable German buying a car for export to Germany and he wanted me to invoice it a 1/3 of the actual price , so it's naive to think the irish are the only ones trying to stroke ,

come to think of it , the Germans were caught royally in Costa deal sol having bought property for up undeclared cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

goochy wrote: »
    U repulse me ! You represent everything that's wrong with this country !

Jaysis I was going to suggest he run for government. He'd get my vote anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Private sale tough ****
    Harsh yes but reality

If you don't want to play with the big boys i.e adults then go to a dealer and pay a nice premium to him for the same car

Indeed. I was going to buy a car of a forummer of here. Car looked alright had full service history and receipts for this and that. Fresh NCT on it too

Price was a little high but I was happy to purchase but as im not a mechanic I brought it to a garage for them to check it out

he took me aside and said the car is ****ed, run away.

Sure enough the poster posted here about the catastrophic issues he was then experiencing.

I dont for one minute think he knew his car was a lemmon but if I had bought the lemon it would have been my fault and problemand not his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I sorta agree with Tfb here, if they are honest that they are selling cars on the side but just don't wanna pay tax;well that's between Revenue and them and Revenue are crazy powerful so its fair enough.
    but if they are buying sh!teboxes and lying then they are gombeens and are ripping off civilians, i don't like that but if you look after your own affairs,;bring someone who knows their stuff and do a motor check, all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Latest on donedeal I've noticed is card with number plates removed or blanked out. I don't care how much of a bargain they might be id not even look into them.

I can understand not wanting people at your house- pay you at 5pm and break in and steal it back at 5am. But wasnt there also a case of a guy in kildare who went to meet someone with his car and was beaten up and left in the side of the road and car stolen........ buying and selling cars is a minefield really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

last guy i bought a car off brought two makes with him but to my home.
    all got on fine wrote up a contract signed the thing went to the post box together and took pics of each others licenses
    his mate actually bought my old car off me a week later
    you can tell a lot by meeting people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Patww79 wrote: »
    I blanked mine as I didn't want my plates cloned for speeding fines or M50 tolls. Once a caller seemed genuine I gave them the plate to run checks. Not fool proof but it helps.
    Don't understand this at all.

Your car is on the road every day with the plates in full view.

How is having them shown in an ad any different?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's different because I am not allowed hide them while I'm on the road but I am allowed hide them in an ad. That lessens the odds of a shady ****er seeing them and I'd imagine there's more shady ****ers browsing DD in a day than I happen to pass on the road.
    If someone is interested, in this day and age of free calls, they'll ring. I've no problem giving it out then.

But.... Why would someone wanting to clone a car go on to done deal , when there's a whole world of cars out on the road with all the info there for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Valetta wrote: »
    But.... Why would someone wanting to clone a car go on to done deal , when there's a whole world of cars out on the road with all the info there for free.

Because when you clone a car you pick the plates from a car that's the same model year and colour as the one you want to clone. Easier to put those details into Done deal than wait outside on the road waiting for a car with the combination you need to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Harcrid wrote: »
    Because when you clone a car you pick the plates from a car that's the same model year and colour as the one you want to clone. Easier to put those details into Done deal than wait outside on the road waiting for a car with the combination you need to pass.
    Wow amazing what lengths people go to. But cloning plates is a huge problem even if it's the wrong vehicle colour make etc if they issue points or fined you're screwed it's a court appearance to try prove it's not your car.......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Valetta wrote: »

Cloning reg plates, not the car. For example, scumbag wants to avoid paying tolls or for fuel at filling stations. Goes onto donedeal and looks up cars the same make/model, year and colour as his one. Goes off and gets plates made up and sticks them on his car. Off he goes up and down the M50 or fills up and takes off without paying.

It's not 100% fool proof but it doesn't make life easy for these people either. And if a buyer wants the reg to run a history check on it, then no problem after a quick chat about the car with the seller. Or are people spending lots of money just doing history checks on cars they might have an interest in on donedeal without at least first ringing the seller and asking a few simple questions about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cloning reg plates, not the car. For example, scumbag wants to avoid paying tolls or for fuel at filling stations. Goes onto donedeal and looks up cars the same make/model, year and colour as his one. Goes off and gets plates made up and sticks them on his car. Off he goes up and down the M50 or fills up and takes off without paying.

It's not 100% fool proof but it doesn't make life easy for these people either. And if a buyer wants the reg to run a history check on it, then no problem after a quick chat about the car with the seller. Or are people spending lots of money just doing history checks on cars they might have an interest in on donedeal without at least first ringing the seller and asking a few simple questions about?

Well, if someone wants to compare a lot of cars quickly, he/she won't have time to ring a dozen different sellers and chat to them about the weather. And not everyone has free calls and may have to ring from Skype and since a lot of people also have some kind of mental illness about private numbers, reg hide is an automatic "Next!" to me.

Well, if someone wants to compare a lot of cars quickly, he/she won't have time to ring a dozen different sellers and chat to them about the weather. And not everyone has free calls and may have to ring from Skype and since a lot of people also have some kind of mental illness about private numbers, reg hide is an automatic "Next!" to me.

A car history report costs a lot more than the price of a phone call. A 3 minute phone call could help weed out the necessity of paying for a fair number of them too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

NCT check is free though?

That doesn't give you much though. Full history and finance check is around twenty odd euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

bazz26 wrote: »

It is easy to check the NCT online for free if you know the Reg. number.
    you would be very surprised at the number that claimed to have NCT that don't especially at the bottom end of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's some buyers who do zero checks, they don't check who actually owns the car, they don't verify who is actually selling the car, don't check chassis number matches VLC, they don't run a history check, they don't do any NCT cert verification and then when things go wrong and they get ripped off they wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

There's some buyers who do zero checks, they don't check who actually owns the car, they don't verify who is actually selling the car, don't check chassis number matches VLC, they don't run a history check, they don't do any NCT cert verification and then when things go wrong and they get ripped off they wonder why.

Doing all these checks has become necessary because of unsavoury sellers.
    not everyone has experience of buying selling cars or realises Caveat Emptor is the legal standing and morals don't count.

I feel sorry for the guy or girl that buys a nice looking car has taken the seller word for everything then when car end up in garage discovers it is a polished turd and they have been lied to.

Advertisement