Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mounthrath, Queen's County

• 25-09-2011 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Would anyone know anything about Mounthrath in the 1840s/1850s. My gg grandfather came from there according to the 1911 census and I am trying to locate a church that he may have been baptised in, or one where his parents may have been married.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

30Min wrote: »
    Would anyone know anything about Mounthrath in the 1840s/1850s. My gg grandfather came from there according to the 1911 census and I am trying to locate a church that he may have been baptised in, or one where his parents may have been married.

One of my parents is from Mountrath and I have a book on the history of Laois which church are you looking for and where did he live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Nhead wrote: »
    One of my parents is from Mountrath and I have a book on the history of Laois which church are you looking for and where did he live?

Hey There,

All I know, is his name and his father's name and that his father was a stone mason. I don't know where in Mounthrath they were from unfortunately.

I went to the NLI and looked up the parish register index. Mounthrath is in there but the records are difficult to read and seem to be in a random order.

So I was hoping that Mounthrath was a small town with one Catholic Church that I could ring directly......Its probably not though... :/

:D

Hey There,

All I know, is his name and his father's name and that his father was a stone mason. I don't know where in Mounthrath they were from unfortunately.

I went to the NLI and looked up the parish register index. Mounthrath is in there but the records are difficult to read and seem to be in a random order.

So I was hoping that Mounthrath was a small town with one Catholic Church that I could ring directly......Its probably not though... :/

:D

It is small enough and there is only one Catholic church however, it replaced the old church in the 1860s. Give them a ring and also check libraries. Is the name odd (as in not common) my surname isn't that common so it helps when looking.

It is small enough and there is only one Catholic church however, it replaced the old church in the 1860s. Give them a ring and also check libraries. Is the name odd (as in not common) my surname isn't that common so it helps when looking.

Hey thanks for that info :). Very helpful.

The name is Geffrey Costigan. Costigan is usual enough but I think Geffrey is less common. So that might help a bit :D

Hey thanks for that info :). Very helpful.

The name is Geffrey Costigan. Costigan is usual enough but I think Geffrey is less common. So that might help a bit :D

You'd be surprised if you went there, there might be people that would connect a family to him (even though it is over a hundred years ago!) I have a pic of my great, great grandfather from the 1890s it isn't unknown to come across some rare stuff.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised if you went there, there might be people that would connect a family to him (even though it is over a hundred years ago!) I have a pic of my great, great grandfather from the 1890s it isn't unknown to come across some rare stuff.

Well Id be delighted to find some relatives :)

I'm going to contact the church down there to get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Well Id be delighted to find some relatives :)

I'm going to contact the church down there to get more info.
    Also, the laois county library might be worth a visit.

Advertisement