Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ancestry Offer

Options
  • 05-07-2010 9:53pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have about 3 weeks left on my ancestry account.

Should anyone want me to do a little research for their families, esp if you have links to USA or UK cousins or aunts and uncles, then drop me a line and we'll see if we can dig anything up !

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ponster wrote: »
    I have about 3 weeks left on my ancestry account.

Should anyone want me to do a little research for their families, esp if you have links to USA or UK cousins or aunts and uncles, then drop me a line and we'll see if we can dig anything up !

Ok are you aloud to print screen it and put it on here?? Ok, if so can you search for james cummins of coleraine and try and find out his parents? Thanks. I know his wife is racheal cummins if thats any help and he was born in 1810. If you don't find anything would you mind searching other cummins's at that period and maybe a little before that in the county as it seems we are the only ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hmmm...The first thing that pops up is an existing tree on Ancestry which seems to possible be by you based on your username.

If you've already searched on Ancestry than I'll probably not find much else.

Have you checked the Griffiths Valuation of Ireland (1847-1864) ?

There is a family of 'Cummins' landowners/tenants in Tircreven by Aghanloo, about 14 miles from Coleraine and a James Cummins, 6 miles away at Ballywildrick Upper.

Cummins Samuel Tircreven
    Cummins John Tircreven
    Cummins Henry Tircreven
    Cummins David Tircreven
    Cummins James Ballywildrick Upper

Ballywildrick Upper, where we find a James Cummins, is in the parish of Dunboe. Also in the parish of Dunboe is the townload "Dunalis" which is the birthplace of a "James Cummings" mentioned on the marriage cert of "James Cummings" and "Sarah Cummings Mcsheafry".

I'm pretty sure that these 2 people were mentioned on your Ancestry family tree correct ?

Have you checked the Griffiths Valuation of Ireland (1847-1864) ?

There is a family of 'Cummins' landowners/tenants in Tircreven by Aghanloo, about 14 miles from Coleraine and a James Cummins, 6 miles away at Ballywildrick Upper.

Cummins Samuel Tircreven
    Cummins John Tircreven
    Cummins Henry Tircreven
    Cummins David Tircreven
    Cummins James Ballywildrick Upper

Yes thats the ones who i think are his cousins.

• Advertisement

Ballywildrick Upper, where we find a James Cummins, is in the parish of Dunboe. Also in the parish of Dunboe is the townload "Dunalis" which is the birthplace of a "James Cummings" mentioned on the marriage cert of "James Cummings" and "Sarah Cummings Mcsheafry".

I'm pretty sure that these 2 people were mentioned on your Ancestry family tree correct ?

Yes thats my great great grandfather and his father is james cummins. Where was his father born james cummins my great great great grandfather from ballywildrick and who were his parents?? Try different forms of the name i.e if you find cumming or cummings try that as i have found a woman called margaret cumming in dunboe in the townland of ballyhacket which is less than a mile away from ballywildrick. thanks.

owenc wrote: »
    Yes thats my great great grandfather and his father is james cummins. Where was his father born james cummins my great great great grandfather from ballywildrick and who were his parents?? Try different forms of the name i.e if you find cumming or cummings try that as i have found a woman called margaret cumming in dunboe in the townland of ballyhacket which is less than a mile away from ballywildrick. thanks.

Well did you find anything?:D

Ok well i take it you didn't get anything??? If so do you mind searching this boy and telling me his parents as i think they are brothers.

He was born in 1799 in tircreeven, county londonderry/derry.

He died in 1870 tircereeven, county londonderry.

I know who jame's mother is i just need the father, (so i asked you as maybe there was different imformation now) so i thought maybe this boys father might be listed and mother and if its the same person then that is them.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Ponster you might regret offering help!!!! - trying my best to do my family tree - got help about the Hegarty side of the family already (my dad) - Now I need help for my mothers side of the family.

William O'Brien my maternal great grandfather from Cork died when my grandmother was 2 in approx 1906 - he was married to Nora nee Cotter who I found as a widow at 28 in the 1911 census - they had two daughters Mary and Eileen - I cant find any burial records for William - rumour has it that he was originally from Carrigtwohill Co. Cork and was buried in St. Lappans Cemetary in Little Island.

Had a look in both St. Lappans and Carrigtwohill today to no avail. A lot of the headstones were so old and worn I couldn't even read them.

At this stage I wonder would it be worth getting professional help? - both my parents have passed away - my father was an only child and my mother was the eldest of a family of 5 - three siblings are remaining and they cannot offer me anymore information.

What do you think??

Kilsmum:confused::confused::confused::confused:

owenc wrote: »
    Well did you find anything?:D

Nope. I don't think that the information that you are looking for is currently available online.

If so do you mind searching this boy and telling me his parents as i think they are brothers.

You didn't give me a name. And I don't think I could verify that either without accessing parish records...

• Advertisement

kilsmum wrote: »
    he was married to Nora nee Cotter who I found as a widow at 28 in the 1911 census - they had two daughters Mary and Eileen -

What do you think??

I find it interesting that in the 1911 census Nora is living with the Cotters with her 2 daughters but also with a "Richard O' Brien" (26). Now either he's just a random border with the same married name as Nora or he's possibly Williams younger brother. This Richard is listed as being born in Cork City.

Have you found William in the 1901 census ?

There doesn't seem to be any mention of his death on any of the online resources.

Do you have any birth or marriage certs for Nora ?

Nope. I don't think that the information that you are looking for is currently available online.

You didn't give me a name. And I don't think I could verify that either without accessing parish records...

Oh sorry, it doesn't matter if you have to verify it as i know who james mother is and am trying to find out who the father is as i think that his mother is kinda worthless and if i find that this man has the same mother then they are brothers as we are the only ones in the county. I do know that james went to magilligan to baptise his daughter so he is definately related to them ones but i don't know if he was born there. This mans details are posted below:

Samuel Cummins

Born 1799: county londonderry/derry, northern ireland or ireland

Death 1870: tircreeven county londonderry/derry, northern ireland or ireland.

Note this is the man that you have posted further up the page.

If you do go ahead and do the search and find nothing, do try using diffrerent forms of the surname thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Hey Ponser,

thanks for the offer. Hopefully you can help me out. I'm looking for the service records of my great grandfather Bartolemew Cawley (~1854-1934). He was in the Royal Irish Constabulary but I dont know from what years, although he was a pensioner on the 1901 census.

He lived in Ballinrobe or Shrule on the Galway/Mayo border.

I've done a search on ancestry and have found his records listed but I've no credit card to subscribe.....

Any info you could find would be great, thanks again.

finty wrote: »
    I've done a search on ancestry and have found his records listed but I've no credit card to subscribe.....

Any info you could find would be great, thanks again.

I wasn't aware that Ancestry had RIC records available.

Do you have a direct link to the Ancestry site to Bartolemew Cawley?

And are you sure that the spelling is Bartolemew and not Bartholomew ?

Hello Ponster....

I was wondering about the Richard as well but dont know if there is a relationship between William and him.

I dont have anything on Nora - wedding cert or marriage cert - I dont even know the date she died Im guessing on 65/66.

I didnt find William in the 1901 census because I dont have enough background information on him. I did hear he was approx 32 when he died but its all too vague tbh.

Thanks for having a look though.....

Kilsmum

Based on the kids ages we can take a guess at when they got married. i'll see if I can find any records that match that date from the LDS site.

Thanks very much - I appreciate it...... Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

hi ponster,tracking down my irish ancester[and me not very computer literate]has been hard-this is all i have managed so far. my great grandfather was called martin dolan and was born in donegal[poss connermara] great grandmother was called mary mcnally and was born in mayo [she only could speak irish] i do not know when they moved to england. he is buried at st werburghs cemetery chester, his son my grand father thomas, his oldest son , was born in chester on the 27 oct 1882 at 20 parrys entry,forgate street,chester, they were married at st werburghs catholic church in 1904 he married a annie hutchinson. he died in 1935 and is buried in altrincham, not much but i hope you can give me a start,on my how to find my irish great gandfarther

getz wrote: »
    hi ponster,tracking down my irish ancester[and me not very computer literate]has been hard-this is all i have managed so far. my great grandfather was called martin dolan and was born in donegal[poss connermara] great grandmother was called mary mcnally and was born in mayo [she only could speak irish] i do not know when they moved to england. he is buried at st werburghs cemetery chester, his son my grand father thomas, his oldest son , was born in chester on the 27 oct 1882 at 20 parrys entry,forgate street,chester, they were married at st werburghs catholic church in 1904 he married a annie hutchinson. he died in 1935 and is buried in altrincham, not much but i hope you can give me a start,on my how to find my irish great gandfarther

Did Thomas have any younger brothers or sisters?

Could these people be his siblings?

John Dolan
    Martin Dolan
    James Dolan

I wasn't aware that Ancestry had RIC records available.

Do you have a direct link to the Ancestry site to Bartolemew Cawley?

And are you sure that the spelling is Bartolemew and not Bartholomew ?

Here's a link to the RIC records on Ancestry.com:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=royirshco1816&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=bart&gsln=cawley&dbOnly=_F0002848|_F0002848_x,_F0002F06|_F0002F06_x,_F00027EF|_F00027EF_x,_F000277A|_F000277A_x&uidh=9d7&gl=&gst=

The spelling of his name varies between different sources, its probably Bartolomew Cawley listed here

• Advertisement

finty wrote: »

Cheers. I understand now.

Ancestry don't in fact have these records, just the index information with which you can look up the information in the archives ( Salt Lake City, Utah and Kew Gardens, UK). I don't know if the National Archives also have this information or not.

Name: Cawley, Bartholomew
    Birth Date/Age: 1890
    Birthplace: Sligo
    Film #: 2092
    Page #: 61B
    Year: 1913

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Dublin City Library (Pearse St) also have microfilms of the RIC records

Shane

Cheers Ponser, my mistake.

and thanks Shanew, I'll check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Royal Irish Constabulary Records 1816 - 1922, General registers of service, returns of personnel and intelligence notices - link : http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Heritage%20and%20History/Family%20History/Pages/royal_irish_constabulary_records.aspx

S.

Did Thomas have any younger brothers or sisters?

Could these people be his siblings?

John Dolan
    Martin Dolan
    James Dolan
    yes i have a record of ,thomas 1833-1935, john. martin, jim, and maggie, i also from a newspaper cutting have this,-death of mr dolan,we regret to announce the death,at the age of 37,of mr m dolan which took place at 5 park terrace off forgate street on friday,mrdolan was assistant secretary of st werburghs fc and a playing member of the whist drive and billiard league,he was a energetic official of st werburghs confraternity association and st werburghs club, the principle morners were martin dolan[father] miss margaret dolan[sister] messers james,john and thomas dolan[brothers]mesdams burk,mchugh and mcnally[aunts] mr j mchugh[uncle] mrs annie dolan[niece altrincham] messers martin and thomas dolan[nephews altrincham] miss maru mchugh,miss winifred mcnally, mrs a tunard[macclesfield] mr and mrs p mchugh,mrs daly[macclesfield] mr and mrs mcgarry[cousins chester] sorry about the long post,but i am trying to give you as much as poss

Ok....Let see if I can put this in order.

Martin Dolan (born 1883, Donegal) married Mary Mcnally (Mayo)

They had the following kids:

John Dolan
    Martin Dolan
    James Dolan
    Thomas Dolan (Chester, 1882)
    Margret Dolan

Now the "problem" that I have is that I have found a family that matches this list exactly.

1901 England census

Martin Dolan 40 (born 1859)
    Mary Dolan 37 (born 1862)

Thomas Dolan 18 (born abt '82/'83)
    John Dolan 15
    Martin Dolan 13
    James Dolan 11
    Margaret Dolan 7

The problem is that both Martin and Mary are listed as being born in Chester, Cheshire and not in Ireland.

Do you have their marriage cert at all. If not I can explain how to get it (It'll cost you about €10).

But....in the 1881 census there *is* a Mary Dolan in Cheshire who was born in Mayo in 1831. So she matches the place and the date seems about right. The problem is that she is widowed and living just with her son, Martin Dolan). So she can't be the mother of your Thomas Dolan

Ok....Let see if I can put this in order.

Martin Dolan (born 1883, Donegal) married Mary Mcnally (Mayo)

They had the following kids:

John Dolan
    Martin Dolan
    James Dolan
    Thomas Dolan (Chester, 1882)
    Margret Dolan

Now the "problem" that I have is that I have found a family that matches this list exactly.

1901 England census

Martin Dolan 40 (born 1859)
    Mary Dolan 37 (born 1862)

Thomas Dolan 18 (born abt '82/'83)
    John Dolan 15
    Martin Dolan 13
    James Dolan 11
    Margaret Dolan 7

The problem is that both Martin and Mary are listed as being born in Chester, Cheshire and not in Ireland.

Do you have their marriage cert at all. If not I can explain how to get it (It'll cost you about €10).

But....in the 1881 census there *is* a Mary Dolan in Cheshire who was born in Mayo in 1831. So she matches the place and the date seems about right. The problem is that she is widowed and living just with her son, Martin Dolan). So she can't be the mother of your Thomas Dolan
    no thats ok she is the gt/gandmother my grand father martin could have died by then ,the big problem was as in a lot of irish people who left ireland at that time,tried to cover their passed,when my father died [william dolan] one of my cousins came out with this statement ,thats the last one who knew the family secret ,on further investigation the rumour that was going around the family was the he martin [from a good family] ran away with mary[a tinker] so it could be that he was married to another woman in ireland, and tried to pass himself as english[in the irish community in england most children spoke with irish accents] this may also account for her saying she is widowed ,the birth dates is the thing that up to now i dident have,i will check out the chester reg offices to see if i can come up with a cirt,the plot thickens

getz wrote: »
    this may also account for her saying she is widowed ,the birth dates is the thing that up to now i dident have,i will check out the chester reg offices to see if i can come up with a cirt,the plot thickens

This is the information you need to order the cert :

Dolan Martin
    McNALLY Mary
    Chester
    Quarter : Dec 1881
    Volume: 8a
    Page: 666

I can get it if you like as I'm used to ordering them.

martin is the son of martin in the 1881 census it says she was widowed and living with her son martin at 21 edwards court [cheshire]martin was born 1860

• Advertisement

This is the information you need to order the cert :

Dolan Martin
    McNALLY Mary
    Chester
    Quarter : Dec 1881
    Volume: 8a
    Page: 666

I can get it if you like as I'm used to ordering them.
    its ok ponster you have been very helpfull and i do not wish to take up anymore of your time,i will get my [always overworked son]to do a bit

Advertisement