Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan Leaf 30KwHr as second car?

• 19-07-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My husband has just gotten a job with a 90km round trip commute. We’re looking to get an EV as our second car, mostly for his commute.

We’d install a home charger so should be fully charged every morning. The journey is Glasnevin to Blessington so a bit of city, a bit of motorway and some country roads.

I occasionally have to do long journeys for my job so our existing Diesel engine can cover that.

We’ve got a bit of a tight budget (15-20k) so I’m wondering would a 2016 Nissan Leaf 30 Kw manage that distance?

Is this the best car for us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

30 kWh leaf would be very suitable, but what is the current car ? Do you need to lash out €15 k to ‘save’ on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give the diesel to the husband and get a small electric for your own journeys, that appear to be short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

biko wrote: »
    Give the diesel to the husband and get a small electric for your own journeys, that appear to be short.

The husband with the longer commute (it's only 90km) should take the EV. That way fuel savings are maximised.

https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/ecars-cost-calculator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Someone here was saying Renault were offering 0% Apr and 0 deposit on the Zoe

25,000, brand new, 250km range

Id be looking at that over paying close to €20,000 for a 4 year old Leaf, no value there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Someone here was saying Renault were offering 0% Apr and 0 deposit on the Zoe

Id be looking at that over paying close to €20,000 for a 4 year old Leaf, no value there

That’s a plan right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,733 ✭✭✭✭unkel

25k is far too much for a low spec supermini EV.

Agreed that spending 15k on a 2016 Leaf 30 kWh is a bad choice too. These can be had cheaper

That all said, Fmfor a 90km commute I'd get a 9k 2014 Leaf 24kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,189 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »

Agreed that spending 15k on a 2016 Leaf 30 kWh is a bad choice too. These can be had cheaper

That all said, for a 90km commute I'd get a 9k 2014 Leaf 24kWh

Based on my experience of putting 20,000 on that sort of driving in Dublin and environs in my L30, that commute will be edge case, especially in winter. Doable yes, but only with care, and has no headroom for diversions, planned or otherwise.

Mine is a 171 and I won't get 15k for it so all that stuff listed at 18+ on car zone is over priced

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HelloPeeps

biko wrote: »

I actually cycle to work most of the time but when I do need the car for work it’s for long journeys, driving all around the country for meetings

Bigus wrote: »
    30 kWh leaf would be very suitable, but what is the current car ? Do you need to lash out €15 k to ‘save’ on fuel.

We’d prefer to be a 1 car family and managed it when we both worked mostly in town but we need to have a second car now. We’re trying to be economical but also keep our carbon footprint down.

Based on my experience of putting 20,000 on that sort of driving in Dublin and environs in my L30, that commute will be edge case, especially in winter. Doable yes, but only with care, and has no headroom for diversions, planned or otherwise.

That’s what we were hoping to avoid. The daily commute is going to be a bit of a pain as it is so I don’t want to add the extra element of range anxiety. Maybe we’ll just get a hybrid for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

That all said, for a 90km commute I'd get a 9k 2014 Leaf 24kWh

Mine is a 171 and I won't get 15k for it so all that stuff listed at 18+ on car zone is over priced

Do you mean the commute would be edgecase in the L24 recommended by unkel, or in an L30?

I’m surprised the L30 wouldn’t manage 90km, even in Winter.

I’ve been doing 78km commute in a L40 for a year now and it’s never used more than 50%. Usually well under

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭creedp

Do you mean the commute would be edgecase in the L24 recommended by unkel, or in an L30?

I’m surprised the L30 wouldn’t manage 90km, even in Winter.

I’ve been doing 78km commute in a L40 for a year now and it’s never used more than 50%. Usually well under

Have an L30 and in my experience 110km would.be minimum range even in cold winter weather

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

creedp wrote:
    Have an L30 and in my experience 110km would.be minimum range even in cold winter weather

With what SOH and what kind of driving (type of road)?

Mike9832 wrote:

The base 25k model is totally basic. If you want something comparable to Leaf SV (mid trim) you need the S edition which costs 29k.
    The base doesn't have - folding mirrors, electric rear windows, reversing camera, heated front seats, decent upholstery, decent sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

That all said, Fmfor a 90km commute I'd get a 9k 2014 Leaf 24kWh

Ive been driving a EV for 7 years and do 90km a day. I wouldn’t purchase the 24kwh, the 30kwh would allow him/her to future proof the car in relation to battery degradation. In no time the car would be hitting 100k and be losing a bar, making the car useless for that journey sooner.

Scottie99 wrote:
    Ive been driving a EV for 7 years and do 90km a day. I wouldn’t purchase the 24kwh, the 30kwh would allow him/her to future proof the car in relation to battery degradation. In no time the car would be hitting 100k and be losing a bar, making the car useless for that journey sooner.

I agree the 24kW isn't an option for this commute.

The degradation with Leaf is not so much function of mileage but more so of time. And also depends on how well the battery is taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

McGiver wrote: »
    I agree the 24kW isn't an option for this commute.

The degradation with Leaf is not so much function of mileage but more so of time. And also depends on how well the battery is taken care of.

..and cycles. With daily use, daily 100% charging that’s the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭creedp

McGiver wrote: »
    With what SOH and what kind of driving (type of road)?
    Approx 90% SOH and commute 60km each way with 50km a mix of N and M roads with last 10km Dublin city centre traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The current roll out of CCS with Ionity etc puts a question mark over Nissan in my view. They have no plans for private network and all other companies are going ccs

With the budget you have you could get a 36kWh eGolf for a few more k and really get a good car which will meet all your requirements and have access to Ionity etc....you will be going to UK but if going to single car I would invest in that or similar first

The Leaf 30 has similar range to the 26kWh eGolf and that will be well in budget....but your restricted with range

The Leaf is a good car, I just question the future of chademo

• Registered Users Posts: 64,733 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Glasnevin to Blessington (the long way via the M50) is a 78km round trip according to Google maps. Of course the L24 (141 and upwards) will do that all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

L24 will do 100km no bother. Mine has 80k km and SOH of 93%. Even in winter with heaters on doing 120km/h you'll still do 90km in it.

Advertisement