Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towbar regulations

• 15-07-2019 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭

If looking to get a towbar fitted only for mounting a bike carrier (i.e. no light bar needed) is it ok to not fit electrics? Or is it an NCT fail to have to towbar without electrics?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

lawred2 wrote: »
    ... is it ok to not fit electrics?.

I hope not. Will your car rear light clusters be blocked by the bikes? Your car reg plate on the carrier wont have a white illuminating light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hope not. Will your car rear light clusters be blocked by the bikes? Your car reg plate on the carrier wont have a white illuminating light.

these are questions I was asking myself

the bike shop recommended this carrier - https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks-tow-bar-mounted/products/756466/thule-hangon-9708-towbar-mounted-4-bike-carrier

there is no lightboard or plate mount on the back of that carrier. Fairly sure that the plate would be obscured and I would wonder whether it would obscure the car's own lights.

There are other carriers that are three times more expensive like this one (https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks-tow-bar-mounted/products/3341570/tow-ball-cyclecarrier-pure-instinct-3-bikes-web-packaging) which do have lights and a plate mount..

actually reading a bit more I see that another €100 can be spent to get an accessory light board for the first carrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

actually reading a bit more I see that another €100 can be spent to get an accessory light board for the first carrier

Or spend €26 for the same result.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Or spend €26 for the same result.

is that factoring in the cost of cable ties? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Check and notify insurer as this is a modification.

Lantus wrote: »
    Check and notify insurer as this is a modification.

ok - good to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

ok - good to know

I recently got a towbar mount bike carrier in ALDI for €30 they also had a trailer board at the same price. I would think your best bet is to have the light plug fitted at the same time as the towbar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

is that factoring in the cost of cable ties? :D

Bungy cord :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

All I can add is that I put a tow bar on the Focus and didn't have time to do the electrics the same time. So it went on the back burner and wasn't done for a few years. It used to pass the NCT each year without electrics but it must be 4 years now since I wired it so not sure what the current situation is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I have a tow bar on my car and it didn’t pass the nct as the electrical connection had corroded. I didn’t use it so never noticed. I think it’s a requirement now to have a working light board connection if you have a tow bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

fitted my own towbar for bike rack only, i didn't hook up the electrcis as wasn't going to be towing, doesn't block light cluster

No NCT problems

well worth doing yourself as usually its easy peasy and they do charge a big mark up if you want to get it fitted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

If looking to get a towbar fitted only for mounting a bike carrier (i.e. no light bar needed) is it ok to not fit electrics? Or is it an NCT fail to have to towbar without electrics?

Bear in mind, that if you have to fit a lightboard ( I don't know what the regulation's are for a bike rack, but would think that you need one fitted) you will need a socket linked to the tail lights to plug the board into. Most modern car electrics are complicated, and unless you really know what you are doing, don't attempt it. You will need a bye-pass kit to make it work ( or else a manufacturer recommended kid, which can be expensive )

Advertisement