Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catastrophic condition of roads in Cork city (pic heavy thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

City of Mishima in Japan, just south of Tokyo (roughly the same size as Cork pothole city).

This is how roads should look like in Cork. Western road, Grand Parade, Cronin's field etc. etc. All the main roads.. Of course they are not 100% perfect (that junction on left hand side at 0:53 seems a bit bumpy). Also at 1:36 there is a bit of cracked surface outside that car dealership. But it's all still acceptable. Cork is in bits, the whole place is rubbish. It's disgusting.

If I could I would let the Japanese run the roads department. Because that's what Cork needs. Money and capable people. That would solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Diabhalta wrote: »
    City of Mishima in Japan, just south of Tokyo (roughly the same size as Cork pothole city).

This is how roads should look like in Cork. Western road, Grand Parade, Cronin's field etc. etc. All the main roads.. Of course they are not 100% perfect (that junction on left hand side at 0:53 seems a bit bumpy). Also at 1:36 there is a bit of cracked surface outside that car dealership. But it's all still acceptable. Cork is in bits, the whole place is rubbish. It's disgusting.

If I could I would let the Japanese run the roads department. Because that's what Cork needs. Money and capable people. That would solve the problem.

You seem to know all about road engineering, why don’t you apply to join cork county council and run the roads department?

Odelay wrote: »
    You seem to know all about road engineering, why don’t you apply to join cork county council and run the roads department?

I'm not an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Great thread OP and great work taking and updating photos. I'm not Cork based but can relate with the state of the roads in Dublin, disgraceful.

These roads remind me of Boston.
    I asked a guy once why they were so bad and he explained that they have freezing cold winters followed by very warm summers, it's basic freeze-thaw-action at work.

2018 was the closest to Boston weather I can remember in a long time.

Could be a factor!

Could be but the farcical condition of our roads didn't happen within the year, this is the result of years of neglect, ineptitude and indifference by the city and county councils.

I remember a conversation I had years ago with a German engineer who was exasperated with the condition of our road network. When quizzed as to what the Germans do differently he said city councils plan resurfacing sections every 10 years which are well marked in a calendar for the year prior so any work to services are done in that preceding month. Once the road is resurfaced that's it, you can't go uprooting it again without a special bond requiring a proper repair and resurface.
    Here on the other hand you can dig a hole or worse a trench across or along a section of road and back fill it with a pot of tar and a few slaps of a shovel and off you go. No ownership, responsibility or pride in any work performed and often so called repair jobs leave the roads in a worse condition that they were in originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Odelay wrote: »

Why not they know fcuk all about it obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

That's the county council though. The city boundary has officially changed yet, has it? The work started months ago anyway.

As far as I know, it's neither the county council nor the city council. The road to Kinsale is a national route (N71), so it is controlled by the National Roads Authority (or whatever they are called now).

Edit: the NRA is now TII (Transport Infrastructure Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Great thread OP and great work taking and updating photos. I'm not Cork based but can relate with the state of the roads in Dublin, disgraceful.

Could be but the farcical condition of our roads didn't happen within the year, this is the result of years of neglect, ineptitude and indifference by the city and county councils.

I remember a conversation I had years ago with a German engineer who was exasperated with the condition of our road network. When quizzed as to what the Germans do differently he said city councils plan resurfacing sections every 10 years which are well marked in a calendar for the year prior so any work to services are done in that preceding month. Once the road is resurfaced that's it, you can't go uprooting it again without a special bond requiring a proper repair and resurface.
    Here on the other hand you can dig a hole or worse a trench across or along a section of road and back fill it with a pot of tar and a few slaps of a shovel and off you go. No ownership, responsibility or pride in any work performed and often so called repair jobs leave the roads in a worse condition that they were in originally.

Sight inaccuracies there.

If (for example) bord gais / Irish water or virgin media need to dig a trench across or along a road, they need permission from the local council or coperation.

The repair that they do, is inspected by the local corpo/council to ensure it is satisfactory.

However.. this is where the problem occurs, the repair will be flush with the other surrounding surface at time of inspection, and will be signed off on.

Now,....... Fast forward a few months and that near perfect repair has turned into a trench .. well, it was signed off on .. so the corpo/ council has no comeback on the utility company.

There should be inspections immediately after the work is done,c and again 3 months later.. imo

mikeecho wrote: »

If (for example) bord gais / Irish water or virgin media need to dig a trench across or along a road, they need permission from the local council or coperation.

The repair that they do, is inspected by the local corpo/council to ensure it is satisfactory.

However.. this is where the problem occurs, the repair will be flush with the other surrounding surface at time of inspection, and will be signed off on.

Now,....... Fast forward a few months and that near perfect repair has turned into a trench .. well, it was signed off on .. so the corpo/ council has no comeback on the utility company.

There should be inspections immediately after the work is done,c and again 3 months later.. imo
    You've hit the nail on the head,road sinks after repair, but the bloody council knows this and let's bord gais etc away with it

It's sickening when a road is re-done after 15/20 years and within weeks is being dug up again. A system of permission based on a calendar and high fees for works outside of certain windows should be introduced. But that would be hassle.

It's sickening when a road is re-done after 15/20 years and within weeks is being dug up again. A system of permission based on a calendar and high fees for works outside of certain windows should be introduced. But that would be hassle.
    We've councils being run all wrong,lived in the north of Ireland a long time,they fix a pothole once,once only,bye bye pothole,once called to local council ref same in carrigaline,asked about repair and have they a person actually going round and logging road conditions I got an incredlous look off the one behind the counter and got a firm no,then asked so you're depending on locals to complain? Yes says she,I'm complaining weekly says I,and yet the road leading to my estate has 15 plus potholes fort the last 9 year's,,,no answer from her

• Advertisement

We've councils being run all wrong,lived in the north of Ireland a long time,they fix a pothole once,once only,bye bye pothole,once called to local council ref same in carrigaline,asked about repair and have they a person actually going round and logging road conditions I got an incredlous look off the one behind the counter and got a firm no,then asked so you're depending on locals to complain? Yes says she,I'm complaining weekly says I,and yet the road leading to my estate has 15 plus potholes fort the last 9 year's,,,no answer from her

it's clear that the people are the major part of the problem here.

If you are working in some company/business and you're not reasonably efficient, the management will have a talk with you and if there's no impovement you will get a warning etc. Then if you don't improve they will fire you and you are replaced by somebody else, who is gonna do their job properly.

It should be the same with the council. If a member of the public comes back 3 times to complain about one pothole and the poor repairs done somebody should be held accountable for not doing their job properly. One warning, second and that's it... you're fired.

btw. Yellow vest protest is very relevant to the situation in Cork regarding the roads. It's one of the many pieces in the puzzle. In this whole mess that we have to live in. Extortionate car insurance premiums, third world country roads... and the list goes on and on..

edit: The situation around Bus Éireann in Cork is bad as well, the buses are constantly late or not showing up, and that's happening for years and years now.. So the only solution is to replace the people who are unable to solve the problem and let somebody else to do the job. I would suggest learning from Germany in this case. If they are not able to do it by themselves, then some extensive training and mentoring abroad will definitely help. Sure the council (or I don't know who) rang England for help when they wanted to change the lights on Kinsale road roundabout so why not ringing Germany?

Today's Evening echo... says nothing about resurfacing the roads, which isn't a surprise. It's almost like everyone is pretending everything is fine with the roads. Population is set to increase by 50% by 2040. Well, that's a lot of extra cars driving on the roads. Will the roads be in reasonable condition by 2040? I doubt it.

Cork will get Luas, cork will get cycle lanes, cork will go back to a two-way system on MacCurtain street (which makes no sense btw.) but the roads are perfectly fine right?

Corkis-Doomed.jpg

Comments under articles like this never disappoint. What a circus this place is.

2019-01-14-17-25-51.jpg

2019-01-14-17-26-14.jpg

it's clear that the people are the major part of the problem here.

If you are working in some company/business and you're not reasonably efficient, the management will have a talk with you and if there's no impovement you will get a warning etc. Then if you don't improve they will fire you and you are replaced by somebody else, who is gonna do their job properly.

It should be the same with the council. If a member of the public comes back 3 times to complain about one pothole and the poor repairs done somebody should be held accountable for not doing their job properly. One warning, second and that's it... you're fired.

btw. Yellow vest protest is very relevant to the situation in Cork regarding the roads. It's one of the many pieces in the puzzle. In this whole mess that we have to live in. Extortionate car insurance premiums, third world country roads... and the list goes on and on..

edit: The situation around Bus Éireann in Cork is bad as well, the buses are constantly late or not showing up, and that's happening for years and years now.. So the only solution is to replace the people who are unable to solve the problem and let somebody else to do the job. I would suggest learning from Germany in this case. If they are not able to do it by themselves, then some extensive training and mentoring abroad will definitely help. Sure the council (or I don't know who) rang England for help when they wanted to change the lights on Kinsale road roundabout so why not ringing Germany?
    Agree with all you stated, problem being in Ireland, civil servants don't get sacked p.s. I was going into or ringing carrigaline co council for nigh in 7 plus years,they eventually redone the whole road( 130 metre's) 2 months back

well that's the drain cover on strawberry hill completely gone now.

asss.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The road conditions are bad but just on a point on the traffic lights: they didn't "ring England" for "help". The traffic light system in Cork is supplied by a UK division of Siemens that used to be a British company called GPT-Plessey. The city traffic system is managed by a system called UTC with software called SCOOT.

It's one of the most commonly deployed traffic management platforms in the world. So of course if they're implementing a complex junction like Kinsale Road roundabout, they'll be dealing directly with Siemens and their Irish agent.

Councils don't do these things in house. They're far too technical.

As for the state of the roads, they definitely need to coordinate rollouts of infrastructure.

The whole place is being ripped up for water mains and you'd think they might use the opportunity to get Siro, Virgin and Eir to lay whatever fibre they need.

well that's the drain cover on strawberry hill completely gone now.

asss.jpg
    Nice one, similar one on kilmoney rd upper in carrigaline,last 4 years, still not fixed,road sunk into it

Convent avenue, fixing this is pointless.. resurfacing is the only option. One of the busier roads in Cork, looks like sh*t.

Fella there casually parked on a double yellow line. What a dope.

20190116-132909.jpg

20190116-133000.jpg

20190116-133011.jpg

20190116-133026.jpg

20190116-133031.jpg

further up outside Gaol

20190116-135031.jpg

20190116-135048.jpg

Ballyhooly road between Dillon's Cross and St. Luke's Cross

the first one is actually quite bad, if you don't know the area or there's a car in the opposite lane you just have to drive over it... stupid.

20190116-124552.jpg

20190116-124621.jpg

20190116-124637.jpg

20190116-124654.jpg

20190116-124729.jpg

20190116-124803.jpg

20190116-124834.jpg

• Advertisement

somewhere in Farranree... what the hell is this?

20190212-154719.jpg

20190212-154722.jpg

Popham's road, top to bottom is just cracked and bumpy and horrible..

This place is such a dump!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

The T junction at Lee Rd and Sunday's Well Rd is very bad, you're rocking in the car!!

Back in Wilton... few more weeks and it will be competely gone. The reason they didn't resurface it all the way to the roundabout is because they are completely stupid. I wonder if they realise it.

20190225-142047.jpg

20190225-142053.jpg

St. Patrick st. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they resurface the whole street 1,5 years ago? That's a very bad mileage. New road should last like a decade minimum. But not even 2 years?

20190304-140454.jpg

20190304-140501.jpg

Bishop st. outside the St. Finbarre's cathedral. Tourists must be impressed.

20190305-133557.jpg

20190305-133606.jpg

right outside the cathedral... it's a matter of time...

20190305-141905.jpg

20190305-141917.jpg

further up...

20190305-141959.jpg

Wanderford's quay opposite the dole office... the worst thing is that there is nowhere to go around this... and what is that thing right in the middle, is that some sort of a joke?

20190305-133859.jpg

20190305-141536.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Regarding the Wilton Roundabout, that is an absolute joke. How many weeks did they spend resurfacing that stretch of Sarsfield's road, re-building the centre divide and re-organizing the traffic light layout? I'd hazard a guess and say they spent longer than it took for the road to start to deteriorate. The manhole and drain covers are already sinking.

Why they didn't resurface all the way to edge of the roundabout is a mystery. I would love to hear their reasoning.

Anyway it doesn't matter. That stretch of road will be just as bad as the roundabout itself in 12 months.

473km of roads, 10,000 street lights, nine cemeteries, six playgrounds and 89 bridges to transfer to Cork city in boundary expansion plan

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/473km-of-roads-10000-street-lights-nine-cemeteries-six-playgrounds-and-89-bridges-to-transfer-to-Cork-city-in-boundary-expansion-plan-ee4a142d-cccc-416a-b6ca-bfb4d88ceccc-ds

"It will open up new opportunities and challenges for Cork and lead to a better level of service."

"We have been working closely with the city council, ensuring they have all the information and resources they need to continue providing a high-quality service to residents."

Are those degenerates for real? Roads are currently completely rotten and it's spreading like cancer. They did very little at the end of last year, now it's March and they did aboslute sweet f**k all with the roads, except the Wilton resurfacing which is s**t as well. Manhole covers already sinking, after turning left from Tesco there's a dip in the road (there nothing they can do about it now, so it will stay like this for the next couple of years till it starts cracking again) and when you get to the roundabout it's same old 3rd world country roads again.

I hope they are proud of their "achievements".

Setting up GoFundMe is probably the only way to do something because they are doing absolutely nothing. What's the story with that horrible bit of the road outside AIB Victoria Cross? How long till that is fixed??? And everything else???

• Advertisement

Douglas road from roundabout at Tesco towards town absolutely a bad joke

Advertisement