Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lodgers.... am i being unreasonable....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

dubrov wrote: »
    A crap situation does not mean it is not worth it.
    Short term pain for long term gain.

Well it was the OP that said nope when asked if it was worth it to them. It might be worth it to you but that's a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ballso wrote: »
    The house share space has a litany of its own issues, lack of supply, crazy rent prices, disastrous quality of accommodation and run by a parasitic landlord class with no regard for tenancy law. Few would live in either situation given a choice.

Not the fault of anybody offering a room to rent though. If there was a shortage of apples you wouldn’t criticise the orange suppliers because their oranges weren’t apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

SteM wrote: »
    Well it was the OP that said nope when asked if it was worth it to them. It might be worth it to you but that's a different thread.

Sure why wouldn't it be worth it, charge 14k a year, run the place like a Victorian boarding house and if you don't fancy it for any reason chuck the lodger out on the street. It's the dream scenario for that grubby class of Irish property owner we all know and love.

My partner works with young many European women in her customer service role, the carnage she hears from them all the time is horrifying. Quiet young French and German girls treated like cows to be milked by these lovely folk 'planning for the future'

This is why people vote Sinn Fein

People voted SF as they are idiots, simple as that.
    Sure why wouldn't it be worth it, charge 14k a year, run the place like a Victorian boarding house and if you don't fancy it for any reason chuck the lodger out on the street. It's the dream scenario for that grubby class of Irish property owner we all know and love.

My partner works with young many European women in her customer service role, the carnage she hears from them all the time is horrifying. Quiet young French and German girls treated like cows to be milked by these lovely folk 'planning for the future'

Nobody living with an owner should have rights and they have to abide by the home owners rules. If you have a problem with it live elsewhere as that won’t be changing.

What sort of a mug allows lodgers into their home and do as they please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Funny. Nobody ever posts about perfectly fine relationships with landlords. Online, they’re all wanders and parasites. I don’t rent these days, did for years. Also lodged. Always had a good relationship with the person I paid rent to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The house share space has a litany of its own issues, lack of supply, crazy rent prices, disastrous quality of accommodation and run by a parasitic landlord class with no regard for tenancy law. Few would live in either situation given a choice.

And few would choose to rent given a choice, but many homeowners who need to rent out their homes are not permanent civil servants but work with volatile market forces and who may be forced to move job and rent elsewhere or to have to travel for their job and work overseas or who lose their job and the mortgage still has to be paid. This juvenile self entitled evil landlord vomit is becoming jaded. In the past ten years BY tenants I have been robbed more times by tennants both by bills run up and absconded on as well as services taken - a month or more living inmy home and not paid for. I have had significant damage done to the house that is neither covered by deposit nor the quickly vanishing tenant - people who are so called professionals and who work and hold down good jobs. By all means cast stones at landlords who cheat and lie but for many homeowners who enter into an agreement to rent or share their home for an agreed monthly cash fee they expect decent behaviour, the house to be treated with respect and not damaged and fair standards of behviour and decency. In most cases, they have far more to lose in terms of damage and costs than a tenant who is encurcled by lobbyists and the left brigade. I’d live to see a darabase created of lying, cheating, destructive, absconding, non paying tenants hosted by the PTRB buy it seems that has to operate underground and by publically shaming liars and thieves via their linkedIn and facebook/instagram profiles so that other people will be warned about their practices and damage and non paying of rent.

Regarding the OP I guess he will learn to set or negotiate house behaviours and expectations more closely in future as we are all different and have different sets of backgrounds and behaviours and expectations. Like many others, I would not expect to be stating rules to say no setting fire to furniture in the bedroom, no prostitution from the house, do not shower on the floor of the bathroom for an hour so you destroy the cealing and then leave it running wheile leaving the house, or do not steal and dissappear having cleaned out the house while I am at work - but hey - there are basics we all expect from decent human beings and none of those listed above are normal or typical behaviours. Unfortunately I’ve had them ALL from tenants.

Sadly you have to set rules and standards and keep a close eye on things these fay as common decency and basic good values and honesty seem far from the norm. Good luck yo the OP. At least he is there to manage the ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Pamela Landy

Nobody in their right mind would be a lodger with these posters if they had a choice. Moaning about lodgers sitting at the dining room table & using the heating, leaving little passive aggressive notes and tut-tutting at grown adults sex lives. Imagine having to live with these cretins.

You seem to be re-wording posts to suit your argument. (Whatever that is.) For the third time... Contrary to my insurance policy, I turned a blind eye and deaf ear as they had their b/fs upstairs. A stream of strangers using it as a knocking shop is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

endacl wrote: »
    Funny. Nobody ever posts about perfectly fine relationships with landlords. Online, they’re all wanders and parasites. I don’t rent these days, did for years. Also lodged. Always had a good relationship with the person I paid rent to.

In the same way that good news, or news that emphasises that daily life is mostly grand for most people, doesn't sell, threads discussing things going well aren't going to get many replies.

I've had lots of lodgers, some of them good, some of them bad. One lodger has been renting from me since mid-2015, he's sound, no bother at all.

If I had started a thread called 'Lodger is Sound, No Bother At All' would it have got many views or replies?

People want a bit of drama and conflict...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think people are missing a huge factor here. As the OP does not own the property they don't get to call them lodgers after 6 months. They can become official tenants.

Only thing preventing this is if the family member owner is an immediate family member. I am not sure that will even matter if you take in people as it is no longer being rented to a family member.

Again tax payments come in for the owner and I wouldn't be convinced they would be happy with this situation. It is correct to say the income is to pay off a mortgage if is to save for a deposit for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I think people are missing a huge factor here. As the OP does not own the property they don't get to call them lodgers after 6 months. They can become official tenants.

Only thing preventing this is if the family member owner is an immediate family member. I am not sure that will even matter if you take in people as it is no longer being rented to a family member.

Again tax payments come in for the owner and I wouldn't be convinced they would be happy with this situation. It is correct to say the income is to pay off a mortgage if is to save for a deposit for the OP.

The OP's lodger doesn't seem to have spent six months in the house so it's not an issue yet.

• Advertisement

It is isn't even immediate family that matter spouse, child of or parent. It it is a sibling it doesn't count. So the relationship with the owner us key here if the OPs relation is breaking tax law along with the tenant rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

What sort of a mug allows lodgers into their home and do as they please?

Ask your Mammy sure

The OP's lodger doesn't seem to have spent six months in the house so it's not an issue yet.

It doesn't matter now but it will for any person that stays. The OP can't decide they are lodgers if they don't own the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It is isn't even immediate family that matter spouse, child of or parent. It it is a sibling it doesn't count. So the relationship with the owner us key here if the OPs relation is breaking tax law along with the tenant rights.

I agree with you immediacy of family relationship but even then it only becomes relevant in the event that the sub-tenant is there more than 6 months and requests a tenancy against the head lessor. As regards tax, rent a room relief applies irrespective of whether the person in receipt of the rent (fluffingtons) occupies the property as an owner or as a tenant. The issue is the continuance of the letting arrangement at the 14k limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Fol20 wrote: »
    I’d personally find point #3,4,10 a bit much.

People should be able to shower and cook at any time within reason.

The loud noise covers the laptop issue So don’t see why it’s mandatory for a headset.

I get what you are saying, as I mentioned before, I plan to have max. 4 persons using one shower, one cooker, so really I just want the licensees not to abuse their times using both for long periods of time so that each can have the benefit during peak times. Its not a rule as such but just guidelines in case there is confrontation.

Regarding headphones, some may wish to watch Netflix late at night or youtube, so Id prefer them to use headphones when doing so, I'm not so concerned in the evening times when I would be awake, but late at night its only right I think.

It doesn't matter now but it will for any person that stays. The OP can't decide they are lodgers if they don't own the place.

Well firstly very few people know they can request this, secondly they actually have to ask and 3rdly the owner has to accept.

The op can simply deny them contact details if he/she wishes or ask the person they are renting of to not accept the application to become a Tenant.

The can also rotate lodgers every 6 if they want to be 100% safe.

They could also pretend they are the owner, this is probably the easiest option of all and advisable for anyone who is renting and taking in a lodger. The lodger has no way of knowing.

Well firstly very few people know they can request this, secondly they actually have to ask and 3rdly the owner has to accept.

The op can simply deny them contact details if he/she wishes or ask the person they are renting of to not accept the application to become a Tenant.

They could also pretend they are the owner, this is probably the easiest option of all and advisable for anyone who is renting and taking in a lodger. The lodger has no way of knowing.

So your overall view is they should lie to these people and also hope they don't know the law?

That doesn't sound legal to me and has tax repercussions for the actual owner.

So your overall view is they should lie to these people and also hope they don't know the law?

That doesn't sound legal to me and has tax repercussions for the actual owner.

What tax repercussions?

It’s a ridiculous rule anyway that a person who rents and takes in a lodger can’t keep them as a lodger rather than they having the right to request being a tenant.

I also don’t think there is much wrong legally with anything I suggested.

What tax repercussions?

It’s a ridiculous rule anyway that a person who rents and takes in a lodger can’t keep them as a lodger rather than they having the right to request being a tenant.

I also don’t think there is much wrong legally with anything I suggested.

The actual owner needs to be a spouce, child of or parent of the OP or they have to pay tax on the income. Read the thread.

Doesn't matter what you think the law it is what it is.

You suggested the OP lie about owning the property so a tenant could not enforce their rights! You don't think that has legal repercussions along with the potential tax fraud the OP could be complicit with?

The actual owner needs to be a spouce, child of or parent of the OP or they have to pay tax on the income. Read the thread.

Don’t know where you are getting that from, the owner has to pay tax on the income regardless of the relationship unless they actually live in the house also.

Even at that technically a parent can’t claim rent a room relief if renting a room to their child.

What legal percussions could their be for claiming to be the owner? What law is being broken and who will enforce it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Doesn't matter what you think the law it is what it is.

You suggested the OP lie about owning the property so a tenant could not enforce their rights! You don't think that has legal repercussions along with the potential tax fraud the OP could be complicit with?

Why not start another thread on taxable income, that's not what this is about and contributes nothing to the actual discussion. OP may very well fall within the limited relationship scope for taxation purposes. Unless it has been stated they are not why even bring it up? It's pure conjecture

Time wrote: »
    Why not start another thread on taxable income, that's not what this is about and contributes nothing to the actual discussion. OP may very well fall within the limited relationship scope for taxation purposes. Unless it has been stated they are not why even bring it up? It's pure conjecture

I think it’s important to highlight that the other poster is wrong in claiming it’s tax free for the owner of renting to a relation. Someone might read this and do so incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i lived in a house share with 3 tenants, the owner worked as a taxi driver,
    anyone could use the sitting room,
    but if the owner wanted to watch tv , they would go upstairs.
    Make a simple rule, kitchen is to be used for meals, you can only use the kitchen for 30 minutes max.
    the mistake you made is taking on a lodger that works at home,
    only take as a lodger people who work 8 hour,s .9-5 pm, 5 days a week
    in an office or a retail company,school etc
    no one can use the kitchen for work ,no laptops allowed in the kitchen.
    if she is not happy with rules give her 2 months notice.
    i do,nt think they are legal tenants since the owner lives in the house,
    they are guests who pay rent ,under the rent a room scheme.
    last time i checked you can earn 12k rental income tax free under this scheme.
    see rent a room , www.revenue.ie

Having someone who stays in the kitchen for hours is not fair to the other lodgers .
    she is paying part of your mortgage to be accurate about it.

Don’t know where you are getting that from, the owner has to pay tax on the income regardless of the relationship unless they actually live in the house also.

Even at that technically a parent can’t claim rent a room relief if renting a room to their child.

What legal percussions could their be for claiming to be the owner? What law is being broken and who will enforce it?

They don't have to pay income tax if renting to a relation as I have stated. They don't form a landlord tenant relationship if related as stated. All other relatives are not exempt. As the OP has not come back and stated the relationship of the relative who owns the property we don't know.

This is separate from the the OP then claiming rent a room tax relief on people they move in with them.

If they claim to be the owner and sign anything as the owner that would be fraud. The tenant wants to get HAP and they lie in the form or deny them the application there are issues. I also said they would be denying tenant rights which is also against the law. The tenant might find out. If your only defence is nobody will find out that is a pretty poor defence to say it is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They don't have to pay income tax if renting to a relation as I have stated. They don't form a landlord tenant relationship if related as stated. All other relatives are not exempt. As the OP has not come back and stated the relationship of the relative who owns the property we don't know.

I don’t know what is giving you this idea as it’s is totally incorrect. You most definitely have to pay tax of renting to a relative.

Show me a link to where it says you don’t?

I don’t know what is giving you this idea as it’s is totally incorrect. You most definitely have to pay tax of renting to a relative.

Show me a link to where it says you don’t?

Ok don't believe me and that means the OP is taking part in tax fraud. Happy now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Encouraging people to lie/deceive is completely unacceptable here

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

riclad wrote: »
    i lived in a house share with 3 tenants, the owner worked as a taxi driver,
    anyone could use the sitting room,
    but if the owner wanted to watch tv , they would go upstairs.
    Make a simple rule, kitchen is to be used for meals, you can only use the kitchen for 30 minutes max.
    the mistake you made is taking on a lodger that works at home,
    only take as a lodger people who work 8 hour,s .9-5 pm, 5 days a week
    in an office or a retail company,school etc
    no one can use the kitchen for work ,no laptops allowed in the kitchen.
    if she is not happy with rules give her 2 months notice.
    i do,nt think they are legal tenants since the owner lives in the house,
    they are guests who pay rent ,under the rent a room scheme.
    last time i checked you can earn 12k rental income tax free under this scheme.
    see rent a room , www.revenue.ie

Having someone who stays in the kitchen for hours is not fair to the other lodgers .
    she is paying part of your mortgage to be accurate about it.

I am glad someone else has highlighted rules, rules can be guidelines, if someone wants to use a kitchen and the rule says 30mins, the owner can give a certain level of leeway, but there is a clear understanding there of the rule from the tenant end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Am I missing something here? Not too many dishes you can cook and consume in 30 minutes. Yes there are stir-fry dishes and sandwiches and snacks but unless you're relying on processed food 30 minutes is ridiculous.

Advertisement