Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dodderbrook Ballycullen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yeah it's definitely not Ballycullen. It's Old Court.
    I hate when places are given names that are miles away from their actual counterparts!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dantheman89

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yeah it's definitely not Ballycullen. It's Old Court.
    I hate when places are given names that are miles away from their actual counterparts!

I don't think 800 metres makes a lot of difference. I see the same arguements about Ballycullen claiming to be Knocklyon. Is it really such a big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I don't think 800 metres makes a lot of difference. I see the same arguements about Ballycullen claiming to be Knocklyon. Is it really such a big deal?

Some of Ballycullen is Knocklyon though. The Ballycullen Road runs from Mortons pub right up into the mountain, and the estates on the D16 side (Glenvara, Glenlyon etc) are Knocklyon. I think Woodstown is Knocklyon, but Dalriada could be Rathfarnham (not sure on this one!)?.

The point is, Ballycullen and Old Court are not postal districts, they are just names used to indicate a general area imo, but once you get as far as LIDL on the Old Court Road you are IN Old Court and not Ballycullen anymore. Sure even Old Court Hill Farm is before Dodderbrook as you come from the Ballycullen Road!

But because there are bits of Ballycullen in D16 - its just "sounds" better for the estate agents to use that, whereas if they used Old Court - its all D24.

Its a common trick with new estates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Its a common trick with new estates.

It's a common trick everywhere. Cornelscourt and Deansgrange are sometimes listed as Foxrock. Crumlin becomes Kimmage, Ballymun becomes Glasnevin, Coolock and Artane become Raheny.

It's a common trick everywhere. Cornelscourt and Deansgrange are sometimes listed as Foxrock. Crumlin becomes Kimmage, Ballymun becomes Glasnevin, Coolock and Artane become Raheny.

+1

Anyway, I passed by last night and I see they have the utilities in, lights are on in the houses at the front, Id imagine the road will reopen shortly for the grand viewing the weekend of the 5th of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's easily €50k in the difference between calling it "Dublin 24" and "Ballycullen".

There have been a few discussions on this stuff here, some heated :D

Ultimately names become names through common usage. According to old townland maps, "Ballycullen" is really everything on the D16 side of the Ballycullen Rd, between St. Colmcille's Way and Stocking Avenue.

But through common usage this is now Knocklyon, and Ballycullen has moved to the other side of the road.

For Dodderbrook, the address of properties at that location (on both sides of the road) is either "Oldcourt Road, D24" or just "D24". Whether or not it will actually be "Ballycullen" really comes down to common usage. But right now, it's not, it's Dublin 24. And that's worth being aware of before you drop €400k on a 4-bed semi-D.

Anyone planning on moving in should screenshot this so they can tell their kids, "I remember when this was all fields."

I remember when everything beyond Glenvara was fields and the cottages on the Ballycullen Road were the last bastion of civilisation before you went up the mountain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I remember when everything beyond Glenvara was fields and the cottages on the Ballycullen Road were the last bastion of civilisation before you went up the mountain.

I went looking for maps of Dublin online once that would be able to show the spread of the suburbs over the decades but couldn't find anything useful. It would be cool to show an animation of Dublin's sprawl over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I don't know the area at all but I have twice bought houses off-plan & the second house had a river (stream) running through the development.
    I have a few words of advice for the OP.

1) Do your research. Don't rely on what the Estate Agent tells you. Get the full plans & revisions to the plans. Read them & know what you are buying. It's not just the four walls of the house that matter. The site & the development itself matters.

2) There is a flood risk assessment in the plans. I glanced at it and there is a recommendation that a nearby culvert be replaced. This was the same story where I purchased my second house. It was years after the houses were built & a battle with the local council & the OPW to get the culvert replaced. Without that happening houses would have flooded in our development. Check this recommendation out thoroughly. Is the developer responsible or is it the local council & OPW.

3) The river may mean it's difficult to get house insurance & certainly flood insurance. Check this out in advance.

4) Don't be fooled by the garden or the driveway of the showhouse. The showhouse is designed to sell houses. Many of the later built houses may not have comparable drive-ways or gardens. Look carefully at the map & where the houses are situated. People generally tend to prefer houses in cul-de-sacs in developments rather than ones facing the roadway through. Think about green spaces & noise & avoid end houses with small green areas which aren't overlooked beside them - teenagers will surely congregate here!

I moved last year to a development which was built twenty years ago where I could see exactly where & what I was buying & was far enough away from any river to not worry about flooding, insurance etc.

My two experiences of new builds, off-plan lead me to recommend that you research as much as you can & disregard the EA. You cannot rely on them for info. Research other developments the builder has been involved in for the finished standard & how long it took for the place to be handed over the local council. One last thing - will there be a management company involved? Tread carefully & find out for sure!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

April 73 wrote: »
    I don't know the area at all but I have twice bought houses off-plan & the second house had a river (stream) running through the development.
    I have a few words of advice for the OP.

1) Do your research. Don't rely on what the Estate Agent tells you. Get the full plans & revisions to the plans. Read them & know what you are buying. It's not just the four walls of the house that matter. The site & the development itself matters.

2) There is a flood risk assessment in the plans. I glanced at it and there is a recommendation that a nearby culvert be replaced. This was the same story where I purchased my second house. It was years after the houses were built & a battle with the local council & the OPW to get the culvert replaced. Without that happening houses would have flooded in our development. Check this recommendation out thoroughly. Is the developer responsible or is it the local council & OPW.

3) The river may mean it's difficult to get house insurance & certainly flood insurance. Check this out in advance.

4) Don't be fooled by the garden or the driveway of the showhouse. The showhouse is designed to sell houses. Many of the later built houses may not have comparable drive-ways or gardens. Look carefully at the map & where the houses are situated. People generally tend to prefer houses in cul-de-sacs in developments rather than ones facing the roadway through. Think about green spaces & noise & avoid end houses with small green areas which aren't overlooked beside them - teenagers will surely congregate here!

I moved last year to a development which was built twenty years ago where I could see exactly where & what I was buying & was far enough away from any river to not worry about flooding, insurance etc.

My two experiences of new builds, off-plan lead me to recommend that you research as much as you can & disregard the EA. You cannot rely on them for info. Research other developments the builder has been involved in for the finished standard & how long it took for the place to be handed over the local council. One last thing - will there be a management company involved? Tread carefully & find out for sure!!!

It looks like from the plans where the road is been dug up now is where the culvert is being replaced. Also looks like that they had to move some of the house if you look at the first set of drawings and the second set.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

godtabh wrote: »
    It looks like from the plans where the road is been dug up now is where the culvert is being replaced. Also looks like that they had to move some of the house if you look at the first set of drawings and the second set.

If it's being done now that's a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Culvert has been replaced with a monster, 4m wide by 1.5 m tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

open day this saturday and sunday 2pm to 4pm

3 bed: 330k - 340k
    4 bed: 375k - 400k!!

guile4582 wrote: »
    open day this saturday and sunday 2pm to 4pm

3 bed: 330k - 340k
    4 bed: 375k - 400k!!

Daft also states Dublin 16. Ballycullen was hard enough to believe! Hence the high price I guess..

first time buyer here so excuse if this is a stupid question

but will there be any wiggle room on them prices considering they are new builds?

If youre interested be sure to check if its going to be a privately managed estate, adds considerable $$$ over the term of the mortgage.

first time buyer here so excuse if this is a stupid question

but will there be any wiggle room on them prices considering they are new builds?

In the same situation and from my experience thus far, with new builds it is very unlikely unless they don't sell!

Understandable if you put yourselves in their shoes but annoying nonetheless!

thanks.

those prices are a bit saucy though aren't they?

considering public transport links for one

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DilemmaDan

If youre interested be sure to check if its going to be a privately managed estate, adds considerable $$$ over the term of the mortgage.

The estate is being handed over to the council (on completion I assume?) so there won't be a management company from what I was told. drove past this weekend and the houses look great from the outside.

Do you think it's best to be there early on Saturday given they don't have many for sale?

• Advertisement

thanks.

those prices are a bit saucy though aren't they?

considering public transport links for one

Ye a little bit considering the value in the area.

Bus is about 15 min walk to 49, 75, 65B and 15 and luas is about a 10 min drive.

DilemmaDan wrote: »
    The estate is being handed over to the council (on completion I assume?) so there won't be a management company from what I was told. drove past this weekend and the houses look great from the outside.

Do you think it's best to be there early on Saturday given they don't have many for sale?

I was hoping that we where not back at that stage again but I would be eager to know also. I may just pop around Saturday morning and see if there are people there and go from there.

I wonder if booking deposits will be taken there and then also. If so, it seems a little unprofessional.

Oh thats good - not privately managed so. I didnt know if it was or wasnt going to be.

They will be flogging for the later phases as well this Saturday Id say.

I really dont know if there is going to be a huge amount of interest. Its not a great location for a lot of people unless they have ties with the area and its pricey considering its location also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DilemmaDan

I was hoping that we where not back at that stage again but I would be eager to know also. I may just pop around Saturday morning and see if there are people there and go from there.

I wonder if booking deposits will be taken there and then also. If so, it seems a little unprofessional.

Price is at the upper end of our budget but they seem a good size. We had looked at Dalriada 3 bed terraced but I didn't like the feel of the estate so will be interested to see how Dodderbrook feels.

Its a lovely drive, close to the mountains/M50 and just at the limit of how far I'd cycle to work. If they're nicely finished and feel as spacious as the plans look we'd be pretty interested.

There was an article yesterday in the Irish time where the CEO of DNG stated that there is a dip in approvals for FTBs but still 300 have registered their interest. Take duplicates, nosey people etc out of that and make of it what you will..

I doubt other phases will be released from what DNG was saying but I haven't got confirmation yet.

Will go for a look but considering the supermarkets, bars and access to public transport are all poor. i think there is better value to be had

Price is at the upper end of our budget but they seem a good size. We had looked at Dalriada 3 bed terraced but I didn't like the feel of the estate so will be interested to see how Dodderbrook feels.

Its a lovely drive, close to the mountains/M50 and just at the limit of how far I'd cycle to work. If they're nicely finished and feel as spacious as the plans look we'd be pretty interested.

We are in the same scenario it seems. Hopefully they are what they seem and we will have deposits down. Being a cyclist too, it is a good location for hitting the mountains!

My preference would have been some of the later phases but who knows when they will be ready and priced at!

We are in the same scenario it seems. Hopefully they are what they seem and we will have deposits down. Being a cyclist too, it is a good location for hitting the mountains!

My preference would have been some of the later phases but who knows when they will be ready and priced at!

i am with you guys on the cycling. i am currently in Terenure and I head up every saturday morning up miltary road etc.

but a 15 min walk to get a bus, for when you want to head to town? plus how busy does that narrow road get in mornings/evenings?

unfortunately i can only afford west dublin and work in the east! so M50 for me

i am with you guys on the cycling. i am currently in Terenure and I head up every saturday morning up miltary road etc.

but a 15 min walk to get a bus, for when you want to head to town? plus how busy does that narrow road get in mornings/evenings?

unfortunately i can only afford west dublin and work in the east! so M50 for me

If you mean the Old Court Road by "that narrow road" then the answer is not very busy at all. There is nothing to use it for except local access and LIDL.

M50 is a joke in the mornings unless you get out before 7.50am or so. Impossible on the approach down the Ballycullen Road, as the Woodstown Roundabout traffic dominates and you cannot get through it in any decent time, I drive down through Parklands and out onto the Kilininny Road that way to get to the M50 - that way you only have to wait for light changes and not more traffic volume.

• Advertisement

If you mean the Old Court Road by "that narrow road" then the answer is not very busy at all. There is nothing to use it for except local access and LIDL.

M50 is a joke in the mornings unless you get out before 7.50am or so. Impossible on the approach down the Ballycullen Road, as the Woodstown Roundabout traffic dominates and you cannot get through it in any decent time, I drive down through Parklands and out onto the Kilininny Road that way to get to the M50 - that way you only have to wait for light changes and not more traffic volume.

Yes Old Court Road is what I meant, thanks

Advertisement