Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to troubleshoot outdoor lights tripping?

• 18-01-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As per the title, I have 5 or 6 garden lights out the back and they have been tripping from time to time.

Is there any pointers for tracking down or isolating the fault and maybe fixing it?

I'm keen to try my hand at most things but also know when to call a professional.

One additional piece of information. This started after a whole pile of rainfall but even after a long dry spell the tripping continued.

Cheers,

Comments

First thing to do is follow the cable and take the lids of every junction box and look for water/corrosion.
    Check the bulb holders (if any) for rust etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Thanks. Will try that and see what I find?
    Just need to wait for the rain to stop... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

More than likely a water ingress problem. As mentioned by the other poster, check all accessible connections for water problems. A lot of outside garden lights problems are also caused by buried connection in inappropriate boxes.

Went out over the weekend and found 2 junction boxes.
    Opened them up and 1 of them had some water in there. I dried it out with some kitchen paper and put it back together.
    I also threw in a couple of those Silica packets to absorb any moisture (no idea if they will but I had them lying around so I said - no harm in trying)

I turned on the light switch and hey presto the lights went on.... And then a few minutes later it tripped again.

I have 7 outdoor lights so I'll double check if there is another junction box buried or hidden among the soil and plantings.

Here's the photos of the junction boxes in question. If there is anything else to check please reply back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

quazzy wrote: »
    Went out over the weekend and found 2 junction boxes.
    Opened them up and 1 of them had some water in there. I dried it out with some kitchen paper and put it back together.
    I also threw in a couple of those Silica packets to absorb any moisture (no idea if they will but I had them lying around so I said - no harm in trying)

I turned on the light switch and hey presto the lights went on.... And then a few minutes later it tripped again.

I have 7 outdoor lights so I'll double check if there is another junction box buried or hidden among the soil and plantings.

Here's the photos of the junction boxes in question. If there is anything else to check please reply back.
    Maybe one of the lights is faulty. Can you disconnect all of them and try them one at a time?

• Advertisement

Maybe one of the lights is faulty. Can you disconnect all of them and try them one at a time?

Haven't tried that.

I assume the process for this would involve.
    Killing the power to lights at the fuse board (not just the main light switch)
    Ripping out cables from all lights and reconnect one at a time and flick back the fuse on.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Rustyman101

Haven't tried that.

Ripping out cables from all lights and reconnect one at a time and flick back the fuse on.
    yip start at the furthest away one and turn on ,rinse n repeat, pick up junction boxs in screwfix, i had to change all mine last year, on a side note using a smart plug to turn them on n off or on a timer works a treat !

Haven't tried that.

Yes, something like that. Can you take the bulbs out instead?

Yes, something like that. Can you take the bulbs out instead?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/lap-shelby-spike-light-matt-black-4-7w/7310X?gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZGzA93iL8uC9K7U79ZwbMZ6ni70bq53OjKkc4dJg4RCIuOWKaz2zKxoCz8wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lights are similar to these.

I could take out the bulb from the top part I assume.

Would this mean I could leave the electric cable intact and just test each light by removing and re-adding the bulbs.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/lap-shelby-spike-light-matt-black-4-7w/7310X?gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZGzA93iL8uC9K7U79ZwbMZ6ni70bq53OjKkc4dJg4RCIuOWKaz2zKxoCz8wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lights are similar to these.

I could take out the bulb from the top part I assume.

Would this mean I could leave the electric cable intact and just test each light by removing and re-adding the bulbs.

That's correct, looking at those now.. I'm not sure whatever is the easiest. Disconnecting the cable or the bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

You must have more than 2 junction boxes if you've 6 lights, those two appear to be feed in feed out and light feed. Tighten those gland down and remake the terminations, wago connectors are brilliant and seal in a raytech isaac box/magic gel or both. I've recently had to redo 10 outdoor lights as with the heavy rain over christmas it caused tripping and blinking lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

I'm working in lighting many years now.. those spike lights are well known for letting in water eventually.. when they get installed and the GU10 bulb get put in people don't close and seal them properly

Also those junction boxes, are slightly waterproof but wont last if they are in a puddle from heavy rain

I would 100% change any junction box you find with and dampness inside
    And same with the lights, just replacing the bulb in the lights wont solve the problem

If all that fails it is common that a cable along the line could of been damaged from gardening or even nibbled on from animals

Thanks for all the feedback. Will have a look over weekend and will post back.

Need to avoid tripping switches when working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭meercat

Agree with others here
    Those spike lights are notorious for moisture ingress
    A few points to note if you are repairing

That swa cable is not terminated correctly

The junction box’s would be better screwed onto the wall

The glands shouldn’t be connected into the top of a screwed up junction box

The lids should be sealed if possible

UPDATE:
    I eventually found all the junction boxes (well I think I did).

Some of them have 1 light connected and others have 2 so I'm pretty sure I have them all.

I opened them all up again and checked for water. Apart from the first one I found with a significant amount the rest just had a little bit of moisture. Gave them a little pat dry and resealed them.

Switched them on and started the stopwatch. I got to 15 minutes until the connection tripped.
    Have a question to ask about next troubleshooting step.

If I disconnect the bulb from each unit (1 at a time) and turn on light switch would this be the same (in troubleshooting) as disconnecting the cables from the main junction boxes (1 at a time) that lead to the light fixtures themselves.

(sorry if this sounds daft but I'm not overly confident / familiar with electrics)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

First thing is to visually check every light where the connection are and look for water ingress. If there's nothing obvious then you need to open everything and disconnected everything except for the first light, turn power on then work your way forward adding section by section until it trips.

Advertisement