Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catenary, SWA pole type

Options
  • 15-01-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I need to run some 6mm cable from my house up my garden. The only option (without digging up driveways and paths) is overground. I was thinking of placing a pole at one end and attaching some catenary cable back to the gable end of the house (at the other). I have two questions:

Will this be acceptable for a 15-20 meter span, or is there a requirement for a pole inbetween?

Is there a requirement for the type of pole I should use? I would like to get it up around 4-6 meters (it is over the back garden, no cars etc)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Its not a great idea

Is there any other way like surface clipped SWA

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Its not a great idea

Is there a safety issue with it?
    Is there any other way like surface clipped SWA
    Unfortunately not. The house is out on it's own with no walls anywhere near it, the perimeter fence is miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

I need to run some 6mm cable from my house up my garden. The only option (without digging up driveways and paths) is overground. I was thinking of placing a pole at one end and attaching some catenary cable back to the gable end of the house (at the other). I have two questions:

Will this be acceptable for a 15-20 meter span, or is there a requirement for a pole inbetween?

Is there a requirement for the type of pole I should use? I would like to get it up around 4-6 meters (it is over the back garden, no cars etc)

thanks
    It’ll look crap
    You’d be better off burying it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I agree with the others. It would look awful. I would far rather dig up the driveway and paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

2011 wrote: »
    I agree with the others. It would look awful. I would far rather dig up the driveway and paths.

Yeah, it might look awful but I really have no choice. The driveway and paths cost a lot and herself just wouldn't go for it.

So, apart from it looking bad, is there anything technically unsafe? Is there any particular type of pole required or can use normal aerial type pole?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Catenary wire and tie wrap the SWA to it

Surface clipped or buried is the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Catenary wire and tie wrap the SWA to it

Surface clipped or buried is the norm

Steel cable ties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Use an impact mole to cross the driveway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvJeU_r4p_Q

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yeah, it might look awful but I really have no choice. The driveway and paths cost a lot and herself just wouldn't go for it.

It’s a bad plan, end of.
    My advice: Talk to “herself”, save up the money, do it once and do it right.
    So, apart from it looking bad, is there anything technically unsafe?

It can be done safety.
    Is there any particular type of pole required or can use normal aerial type pole?

Yes it’s called “an expensive pole” :D

A pole for an arial is unlikely to be strong enough. I think that you will find that many electrical contractors will not be keen on putting their name to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yeah an impact mole is the best if you want to cross the driveway without cutting it.

I'd advise against the overhead solution, it's going to look awful and it may sag over time.

• Advertisement

You still have to bust out the path at the house side to pick up the mole pipe.
    I've recently cut my path with a 4" diamond disc and burried 2 25mm pipes.

Didn't take long to do and didn't take long to repair .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Has anyone used that mole system?
    Expensive solution?
    Does the ground need to be pretty soft / no rock?

Advertisement