Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wooden path over old concrete path

Options
  • 14-01-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

afternoon,

i have an old path in the garden i would like to cover over with a nice walkway type thing made from sleepers.

the concrete is old and i think covering up rather than taking out would be a handy project for this summer to smarten it up.

i have 2 questions

would laying sleepers directly on path be a terrible idea and screwing them together after they are levelled

or do you put something down on the concrete as a base ?

any feedback would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

My only concern would be them getting slippy. Cant see any issues with them directly onto concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The problem I see is edging off the grass. If you raise the path you end up with a pain in the neck strip along the edge of it that will need strimming. Its not going to look like the second attached picture without a massive amount of work.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

rje66 wrote: »
    My only concern would be them getting slippy. Cant see any issues with them directly onto concrete.

I think the same.

You could dig it out and put in stepping stones.

Nothing has the utility of a concrete path. But if you don't like it thats different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

So you're going to lay the sleepers on the concrete , shape them and tie them together?

How do you bring the level of the grass up 3" or 4"? New top soil and turf?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Purgative wrote: »
    So you're going to lay the sleepers on the concrete , shape them and tie them together?

How do you bring the level of the grass up 3" or 4"? New top soil and turf?

I was going to have the path higher than the grass, so you step into it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I was going to have the path higher than the grass, so you step into it..

Fair enough, so you'll run into the problem mentioned by The Continental, its going to need a strim at every mow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its going to be very difficult to cut all those sleepers, they are hard and toxic.
    Can you use a chainsaw?
    You may need to budget for a lot of chain sharpening/replacement during the build.

When they get wet they will be as bad as ice to walk on and to make it worse there will be lots of small level changes to trip on.

I don't see the attraction myself, a properly done concrete path would be far easier to walk on.
    Easier to pour and maintain and won't bring toxic chemicals into your backyard.

http://www.woodguide.org/files/2014/07/EU-railway-sleepers.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its going to be very difficult to cut all those sleepers, they are hard and toxic.
    Can you use a chainsaw?
    You may need to budget for a lot of chain sharpening/replacement during the build.

When they get wet they will be as bad as ice to walk on and to make it worse there will be lots of small level changes to trip on.

I don't see the attraction myself, a properly done concrete path would be far easier to walk on.
    Easier to pour and maintain and won't bring toxic chemicals into your backyard.

http://www.woodguide.org/files/2014/07/EU-railway-sleepers.pdf

That was an insightful answer.
    If you're committed to wood, maybe something like white cedar plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I dont think the sleepers would be a great idea. I would suggest decking planks or ikea do a click together type wooden tile thing that might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

We have sleepers in our back garden.
    They're nice but they exude tar.
    They are fine for beds but in hot summertime
    tar sticks to your shoes ,clothes and hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"sleepers" covers several possible products. Only genuine recycled railway sleepers are tarry.

I've used untreated oak sleepers for retaining walls and they are great.

I think it's a nice idea though obviously needs careful execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Lumen says, planning and execution here are key. To avoid the strimming issue you could so what most of your example pictures do, and have a loose stone buffer between the walkway and the grass. This will let you run the mower along the edges of the grass without the need to strim.

If you were feeling adventurous, you could plant dwarf hedges in that buffer zone to make the drop from the walkway to the garden less obvious. Some flowering hedges like lavender and primrose would look really bright and classy in the summer. If you have kids or dogs though, that could break your heart as they get wrecked and end up looking shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not a fan OP. Sleepers specifically are dangerous as fk when they get wet. And they will get wet and messy let's not forget our climate.

There's a reason these things are coated in wire mesh across all the national walks. They are lethal.

Why not renew the concrete. You could even stamp it.

Alternatively put down some 16mm decorative stone.

I think the wood idea is a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

listermint wrote: »
    Not a fan OP. Sleepers specifically are dangerous as fk when they get wet. And they will get wet and messy let's not forget our climate.

There's a reason these things are coated in wire mesh across all the national walks. They are lethal.

They're coated in mesh because morons.

I have limestone flags and old sleeper steps around my house. The limestone is way more slippery than the sleepers.

edit: I take it back. I just checked the 3 year old sleepers and they have a fine coating of algae on them which makes them a bit slippy. Maybe the 20+ year old steps are so gnarly that the rot makes them grippy. :pac:

Thanks for all the advice,

I have a raised bed and some other areas built in sleeper style wood they sell in diy places, don't have any original ones.

Wanted to tidy up the path with something I would be comfortable with and the sleeper style wood is handy, cut the raised bed with a chop saw.

I have a deck at back door an it's lethal, will be take up when evenings get longer

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Add sleepers as kerbing along side the existing path, thus matching your raised beds. Fill with decorative stone.
    On the lawn side, consider adding a mowing strip, red bricks or the like. ...

Kerbing
    Mowing strip

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    They're coated in mesh because morons.

I have limestone flags and old sleeper steps around my house. The limestone is way more slippery than the sleepers.

edit: I take it back. I just checked the 3 year old sleepers and they have a fine coating of algae on them which makes them a bit slippy. Maybe the 20+ year old steps are so gnarly that the rot makes them grippy. :pac:

Not they are lethal. Used to do hill walk and hill running without mesh on them you'd have absolutely seriously injuries daily ask any mountain rescue person.

They pick up algae easily in days. Sure I've upright fence posts outside that are covered in it.

No chance I'd use them as my sole path in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

You could make the path from composite decking - maintenance free.

J.R. wrote: »
    You could make the path from composite decking - maintenance free.

You'd want a mortgage for composite stuff, and some of it actually still rots because its made with wood fibres!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input, I now have no idea how to tidy it up

Thanks for all the input, I now have no idea how to tidy it up

Have a look over on Pavingexpert.com you may get some good ideas from that site.
    What exactly is the issue with the current concrete? If its just old then digging alongside it and using a french drain with some planting might make it smarter?

Advertisement