Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Electricity Usage

• 19-12-2020 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    I’m looking for advice on electricity usage.
    We built our own home In 2005-2006 so we are now 14 years living in the property. Our ESB usage is off the scale recently (as far as I can see) which has been reflected in our bills. Iv monitored ESB usage over the past 3 days and we have used an average of 31units per day which is almost 3x average usage.
    The thing is, our ESB meter is at a count of 62000 and over 14 years would average out at approx 4400 units per year and that is average of 12Units per day over the 14 year period. So why am I now using 31units per day?
    We extended our kitchen in 2011 but this didn’t require any major electrical changes just the addition of a few extra lights and 6 sockets. Our usage seems to have trebled in recent years mind you our family has doubled in size to 6 in total but this doesn’t explain the ESB bills lately. We have oil heating. We don’t use the immersion very often and I’d go as far as saying yes we can be more energy efficient by turning off things when not in use. We have a lot more things to charge up these days like tablets, smart watches, phones etc so I know our usage has increased but I’m baffled by our daily usage of 31 units.
    Any tips or advice much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I wouldn’t consider that off the scale for a family of 6.
    I suspect there will be scope to reduce it, but it’s not off the wall.

How big is the house?
    Is all lighting LED?
    Tumble dryer and washing machine in use at least once daily?
    Any electric heaters?
    Is the hob electric?

Incidentally if you haven’t renegotiated your electricity rate in the last year or so, you are likely paying considerably more than you should be per unit.

You can switch online to another provider - 10 minutes work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭John.G

Anything with a heating element: electric "cooker", tumble dryer, washing machine, electric shower, immersion, all cumulative, can add up pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t consider that off the scale for a family of 6.
    I suspect there will be scope to reduce it, but it’s not off the wall.

How big is the house?
    Is all lighting LED?
    Tumble dryer and washing machine in use at least once daily?
    Any electric heaters?
    Is the hob electric?

Incidentally if you haven’t renegotiated your electricity rate in the last year or so, you are likely paying considerably more than you should be per unit.

You can switch online to another provider - 10 minutes work.

Hi Lenar3556,
    Thanks for your response. So I’ve taken the average usage from electric Ireland website quoted as 14 units. I use over double this average units per day. Yes I have a dryer, dishwasher, washing machine but I have only one of these like most houses. My wife uses a clothes horse (which I hate as it gets in my way) to dry clothes rather than the dryer. So I don’t believe we do anything really different to the average household.
    The house is 2300sq/ft and we stupidly put in spotlights (GU10) fittings in kitchen / dining area but Iv changed all the bulbs to LEDs. What I’m not getting my head around is why apparently we went from using an average amount of electricity for a good few years to using a lot more than average in recent times. Thanks

John.G wrote: »
    Anything with a heating element: electric "cooker", tumble dryer, washing machine, electric shower, immersion, all cumulative, can add up pretty quickly.

Hi JohnG,
    Thanks. I’v unfortunately have all of them. Is the 14 units average quoted by electric Ireland misleading?
    Any idea how many units you use per day?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hi Lenar3556,
    Thanks for your response. So I’ve taken the average usage from electric Ireland website quoted as 14 units. I use over double this average units per day.

I don’t think I would leave huge regard in the ‘averages’ from electric Ireland. Both the family size and floor area are well above their idea of ‘average’. I think this would be an unrealistic target.

Yes I have a dryer, dishwasher, washing machine but I have only one of these like most houses. My wife uses a clothes horse (which I hate as it gets in my way) to dry clothes rather than the dryer. So I don’t believe we do anything really different to the average household.
    The house is 2300sq/ft and we stupidly put in spotlights (GU10) fittings in kitchen / dining area but Iv changed all the bulbs to LEDs. What I’m not getting my head around is why apparently we went from using an average amount of electricity for a good few years to using a lot more than average in recent times. Thanks

Nothing wrong with the GU10 recessed from an electrical perspective, as long as they are LED they are relatively efficient.

A significant change in the pattern of consumption is a fair query to raise. Are you certain that this is the case? I.e. your bills have increased considerably? The assumption that the meter was at zero on installation may not be a fair one, or it could have been swopped by ESB at some point, bills would be better evidence.

What you could do, is fit a live energy monitor to keep an eye on the consumption and help you track where it’s going. If you google the likes of OWL, or there are other relatively inexpensive alternatives on Amazon. (Like in the €50 ballpark)
    Most are a simple DIY install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Get one of these of amazon and you can see all your daily and monthly usage. I can see the moment something big is using electricity and for how long.

Hi JohnG,
    Thanks. I’v unfortunately have all of them. Is the 14 units average quoted by electric Ireland misleading?
    Any idea how many units you use per day?
    Thanks

I average around 10/12 units per day, 3 adult house with no tumble dryer and all solar hot water for ~ 6 months of the year.
    Just one of the above items, a electric shower, will consume 1.5 kwh for a 10 minute shower so 4 adults will add 6 kwh straight away and if any teenagers around then just think of a number.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    I don’t think I would leave huge regard in the ‘averages’ from electric Ireland. Both the family size and floor area are well above their idea of ‘average’. I think this would be an unrealistic target.

Nothing wrong with the GU10 recessed from an electrical perspective, as long as they are LED they are relatively efficient.

A significant change in the pattern of consumption is a fair query to raise. Are you certain that this is the case? I.e. your bills have increased considerably? The assumption that the meter was at zero on installation may not be a fair one, or it could have been swopped by ESB at some point, bills would be better evidence.

What you could do, is fit a live energy monitor to keep an eye on the consumption and help you track where it’s going. If you google the likes of OWL, or there are other relatively inexpensive alternatives on Amazon. (Like in the €50 ballpark)
    Most are a simple DIY install.

Thanks for the feedback. I will go after one of the energy monitors just to gather more info. Much appreciated.

John.G wrote: »
    I average around 10/12 units per day, 3 adult house with no tumble dryer and all solar hot water for ~ 6 months of the year.
    Just one of the above items, a electric shower, will consume 1.5 kwh for a 10 minute shower so 4 adults will add 6 kwh straight away and if any teenagers around then just think of a number.

I have two teenagers, one wont go into the shower the other won’t get out of it. I guess it evens out! Thanks for feedback JohnG. A few improvements here and there will add up. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ticktock

I agree with all the above . The items that really push it up for me is using an electric cooker and people in the house staggering meals . this means the cooker is on for a longer period . Rather than cooking for everybody eg for lunch, or evening meal at the same time . I am in a similar sized house and use on average 18kw a day only 2 of use in the house but home all the time at the moment. Oil Heating. The other thing I have been doing with 20 years is using a clothes horse and hanging as much wet clothes as we can in utility room with doors closed using a dehumidifier to 90% dry and finish in the tumble dryer. We normally do this over night . The dehumidifier between 12 and 8am would cost about 60 cents roughly on standard electric rate and it will dry a lot of clothes . Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Look at the meter and start flipping off mcbs you'll find the draw fast enough that way.

I have air sourced heat pump and immersion/pumped showr and use about 30-40 units a day in winter if you don't have some for of electric heating it sounds a little high. You don't have a frost heater in the attic or anything?

Anyway you can't compare winter to annual average.

For average 5 bed house
    Energia shows about 2800kw in December bill and about 1000kw in August bill. Your electricity usage will always be higher in winter.

I'm glad I cut back on all that ironing I was doing.

"Here are some calculations of how long it would take for various appliances to use 1 kWh and cost you about 20c"
    •Using a 10,000 watt electric shower for six minutes
    •Keeping an immersion heater (3,000 watts) on for 20 minutes
    •Cooking in a 2,000 watt oven for 30 minutes.
    •Ironing with a 1,500 watt iron for 45 minutes.
    •Using a dishwasher for about an hour (1,000 – 1,500 watts)
    •Watching a plasma TV (280 – 450 watts) – about 3 hours
    •Keeping a fridge-freezer (200 – 400 watts) on for about three hours
    •Keeping an electric blanket (130 – 200 watts) on all night.
    •Using a laptop (20 – 50 watts) all day
    •Keep a 5 watt LED light bulb on for 200 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Jaysus. I just checked and I use <5 units per day on average in the depths of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Have you got a well? If you've a small water leak the pump could be running almost continuously, they're heavy enough on juice.

Jaysus. I just checked and I use <5 units per day on average in the depths of winter.

How on earth do you manage on 5 a day. I’m using more than this when we’re all asleep!

And a fortune on paraffin for the lamps, get outa will ya with that ****e...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Have you got a well? If you've a small water leak the pump could be running almost continuously, they're heavy enough on juice.

Yes I have my own water well / pump. That’s something I’ll look into for sure.

You’ve just sparked another thought for me also. I have a stove with a back boiler in my living room we don’t really use it. However the oil heating heats the water cylinder and there is heat transfer to the stove which turns the pump on for the back boiler. My wife likes the heat so maybe this pump is on most of the time too. Thanks

You’ve just sparked another thought for me also. I have a stove with a back boiler in my living room we don’t really use it. However the oil heating heats the water cylinder and there is heat transfer to the stove which turns the pump on for the back boiler. My wife likes the heat so maybe this pump is on most of the time too. Thanks

If it's the older type 3 speed circulation pump turn it down to the first speed, ideally the stove should be isolated from the oil circuit but that's a whole thread on its own:D:D

I got an electric shower during the summer, the cost of it is starting to bite I've noticed it on this bill. I can't fit an owl monitor etc as there's no exposed cable available to clamp the sensor to.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

You can install whole house monitor also change company look up bonkers.ie for prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Average old fashioned pump would be 80w on the highest setting about 2 units a day. Much more than that and it would be quite noisy. Newer one are a fraction of that with intelligent controls.

That well water pump is probably drawing 400 watts or so? and will consume a fair share if running continuously due to any leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I got my bill yesterday and just checked after reading this thread and for the past two months I've used 6 units per day in a four bedroom house,1 adult 1 teenager who gets lost in a shower and two little ones . Maybe someone else on my street is paying for some of my units. Lol

Probably one of these smart meters that people are always on about but yours is wrong in the right way for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

My Bill's earlier in the year were very high, got ratty with the electric company, said I wanted my meter calibrated, tried to put me off saying if it's not misreading we'll charge you €190, I said I'd chance it,anyway ESB fitted a second meter for a few weeks, Bill's have been much less since,

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I got my bill yesterday and just checked after reading this thread and for the past two months I've used 6 units per day in a four bedroom house,1 adult 1 teenager who gets lost in a shower and two little ones . Maybe someone else on my street is paying for some of my units. Lol

360 units for two months with an electric shower? Rubbish. Your clothes must be filthy...

Dunfyy wrote: »
    You can install whole house monitor also change company look up bonkers.ie for prices

I can't install a whole house monitor the run of cable from the main fuse to the meter is too short to clamp the sensor to. I'm in contact with energia until February. I'm getting 26% discount with them. Anyway it's the amount of units being used that's being discussed, price is down to individual deals people are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

CoBo55 wrote: »
    360 units for two months with an electric shower? Rubbish. Your clothes must be filthy...

My washing machine was on twice yesterday alone.
    Not sure why you would be rude to a stranger on the internet over an electric bill or why I feel like I need to prove myself.
    But theres my bill for you too

Op I get a 31% discount for having my electric and gas with bord gais. It basically means I don't pay the standing charge. Maybe that's something you could look into?to bring the bill down?

Lashes28 wrote: »
    My washing machine was on twice yesterday alone.
    Not sure why you would be rude to a stranger on the internet over an electric bill or why I feel like I need to prove myself.
    But theres my bill for you too

Op I get a 31% discount for having my electric and gas with bord gais. It basically means I don't pay the standing charge. Maybe that's something you could look into?to bring the bill down?

Sure you have gas as well. I'm and I'm assuming the op are electricity only. That's like someone saying they heat their house for a half tank of oil a year, they conveniently forget to mention the half a forest they horse into a stove the size of Moneypoint...
    Anyway this isn't about waving the smallest electricity bill about it's about helping the op reverse the obvious jump his usage has taken. Please don't keeping banging on about getting better deals blah blah blah, reduction of units used is what's needed.

• Advertisement

If/when my fabulous nearly 50 yo meter which reads in 1/10ths of a kwh is replaced with a not so smart new type then I will make very sure that it is summating properly after installation by carrying out a simple calculation using my electric immersion of known power.

Advertisement