Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oven on Britannia Cooker Problem

• 01-12-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    Britannia UK have put me in contact with an independent electrician to fix a problem we are having with our oven. I spoke to him today but I am not happy that he was listening to me so I am looking to check, as best I can, whether I can find a better solution.

We have a Britannia range cooker SI-10T6-SLX-S. We select our oven setting, fan, grill, ...etc, and then set the temperature control. If using the fan we hear it start. Sometimes the oven starts and works fine. Other times it doesn’t start or starts and then stops. We mess with the temperature knob and get it started and usually it works fine. I was hopeful to sort this out in case it claps out completely as we are trying to cook our turkey!

The electrician, which Britannia UK put me in touch with, wants to order an oven selector switch. He hasn’t looked at the cooker. This will possibly take weeks to arrive and then it may not be the problem. I described how we get it working by fiddling with the temperature setting knob.

Am I justified with my concern? Perhaps someone can PM me with name and number of a registered electrician (south Dublin, Dublin 18) who has experience of working with Britannia cookers or similar.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I would also go with the electricians diagnoses , you should be able to source it from the likes of xsparetise tullamore 0818313233 have the pc number with model number at hand when ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Hi Mumser (or anyone else who might know)

Have you been given a price for this work to be done.

I think I have the same problem and wondering if it will be expensive.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Hi Little A,

I was quoted €85 call out plus whatever for parts. I have looked at the Britannia spares site and there are two function selection switches, costing about £50 or £200… I don’t know which is needed. Both have the same name and reference number.

We have never not been able to twist the temperature and function knobs to get the oven going but with Christmas coming it would be just my luck that it would fail.
    Sorry if it’s not much help.

Thanks - any chance you could PM me the contact details.

Hope you get sort pre Christmas !!

Sorry for the delay.

I contacted Britannia UK and they gave me the following number for Glen dimplex Ireland, 01 8424833. They took over Britannia or something like that. I phoned them and they gave the quote and said an electrician would contact me. The electrician hasn’t come out yet and said he didn’t know when he would get in the part he thinks is causing my problem. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Christmas, thanks.

Give them a shout and hopefully you’ll get it fixed too. I’ll post an update here when it’s sorted.

• Advertisement

I got sorted - ordered the part online (everything I googled pointed to it being the oven selector switcher) and got some one to install - oven is back working!! Cost about €200 for the part and install but cheaper than a new range oven!!

All ready for the turkey & roast spuds.

I really appreciate you updating here.

Unfortunately we are still waiting. The electrician said he didn’t know when the part would come in, as there are a lot of delivery delays. I am worried as it is getting harder to get the oven going....

Where did you order your switch from? I’ve looked on Britannialiving.co.uk spares and the oven selector switch I need is now out of stock. I do not know enough about this.

Could you please pm the details of your electrician as I don’t want to go back to Glendimplex given my experience.

You are dead right about repairing relative to the cost of a new range cooker. I am glad you got sorted and enjoy all the Christmas roasties.

Mumser wrote: »
    I really appreciate you updating here.

Unfortunately we are still waiting. The electrician said he didn’t know when the part would come in, as there are a lot of delivery delays. I am worried as it is getting harder to get the oven going....

Where did you order your switch from? I’ve looked on Britannialiving.co.uk spares and the oven selector switch I need is now out of stock. I do not know enough about this.

Could you please pm the details of your electrician as I don’t want to go back to Glendimplex given my experience.

You are dead right about repairing relative to the cost of a new range cooker. I am glad you got sorted and enjoy all the Christmas roasties.

mumser I am surprised you didn’t check with the firm in Tullamore who more than likely will have it in stock, these selector switches are quite common, even for your regular washing machine man it should be easy for him to fit.

mumser I am surprised you didn’t check with the firm in Tullamore who more than likely will have it in stock, these selector switches are quite common, even for your regular washing machine man it should be easy for him to fit.

Thanks Red Ace. I did try check availability there online when you first posted. There appeared to be no availability for my model number. However, I’ve just looked again and I must have clicked on an ad for somewhere else as they don’t show that information online.

As I said I’m not very knowledgeable. I assumed the selector switch was specific to particular ovens and the various functions on them. I’ll give them a call on Monday and fingers crossed.

I appreciate your input.

Happy new year.

The electrician brought out a switch 2 days before Christmas but unfortunately things got worse when he tried to put it in. The fuse box flipped when turning on the oven. Since the old switch worked, we asked him to put it back in so we could get over Christmas with it working as it was.... That didn’t work. We ended up we using the small non fan oven. Glad we had it.

Red Ace I did try the place in Tullamore. They were very helpful but they don’t have the switch. They gave us a name of a reputable electrician as we were not very confident in the one sent to us.

Little A, can you let me know where you got your switch please? And the model of your cooker.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

What part number is on the original switch as I have quite a few switches, maybe one might just match, also look in eBay uk as quite a number of selector switches advertised there as well

I’ll check in the morning and let you know.

Thanks a million.

What part number is on the original switch as I have quite a few switches, maybe one might just match, also look in eBay uk as quite a number of selector switches advertised there as well

I’ve taken off the top panel above the switch to see if I can see a ‘part number’ on the original switch. I can’t see anything. I am a complete novice .... On the Britannia spares website it says Gottak 801601. Is this a part number?

I’ve been searching online suppliers and eBay. I am confused as I see such a wide range of prices for 9 function oven selector switches which are supposed to work on my cooker model. From €30 ish to €90 to more than €200 (Britannia site price & another UK site). This is a massive difference in price. Neither of the 2 really expensive switches are in stock. Do you know why the price difference?

Sorry for my ignorance in all this.

We think the part number is SP-IA03411.

Thanks

Advertisement