Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making up for 10 Lost Years

• 26-07-2020 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Read a lot until I started working full time and basically went my 20s without reading many books.

The pandemic has given me time to read and I realise now what I have missed. My love for reading has totally been reignited.

This is what I have read since April:

The Beekeeper of Aleppo- Christy Lefteri
    Salem's Lot- Stephen King
    The Volunteer- Jack Fairweather
    It's about bloody time. Period- Emma Barnett
    Uncovered- Leah Lax
    The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring/ The Two Towers/ The Return of the King- JRR Tolkien
    The Disaster Artist- Greg Sestero
    Their Eyes were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston
    The Guest List- Lucy Foley
    The Marrying of Chani Kaufman- Eve Harris
    So Lucky- Dawn O'Porter
    Paper Aeroplanes- Dawn O'Porter
    The Dressmaker's Gift- Fiona Valpy
    The Hunting Party- Lucy Foley
    Goose- Dawn O'Porter
    Conversations with Friends- Sally Rooney
    Normal People- Sally Rooney
    The Librarian of Auschwitz- Antonio Iturbe
    The Children's Block- Otto B Kraus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

The 2 books I least enjoyed were the two Sally Rooney's.

I hated the lack of speech marks.

How we disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee.

A very moving story about comfort women in Singapore during WW2.

The Young Survivors by Debra Barnes.

Magpie Lane by Lucy Atkins.

Renia's Diary by Renia Spiegel.

• Advertisement

Disobedience by Naomi Alderman

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The 2 books I least enjoyed were the two Sally Rooney's.

I hated the lack of speech marks.

I haven't read any Sally Rooney, but this was a feature of Irvine Welsh when I read him.

Loathed it, makes it difficult to establish who is saying what, and just felt like a literary affectation.

I haven't read any Sally Rooney, but this was a feature of Irvine Welsh when I read him.

Loathed it, makes it difficult to establish who is saying what, and just felt like a literary affectation.

I remember struggling with Irvine Welsh too, many years ago. His dialectal style of writing was a huge struggle at times too.

However, I did enjoy his characters. Rooney's are so self-absorbed at times, that I detested all of them.

Dear Child by Romy Hausmann.

• Advertisement

Be More Keanu by James King.

Educated by Tara Westover.

Untamed by Glennon Doyle.

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill.

Cows by Dawn O'Porter.

The Ratline by Philippe Sands.

The Bigamist by Mary Turner Thomson.

Pretty Little Lies by Liane Moriarty.

Needed a light read.

The Witches-Roald Dahl.

The Twits- Roald Dahl.

Witch by Finbar Hawkins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Op I would like to try a few of these.

Any chance you could give us a really basic synopsis and rate them?

I haven't much time, you sound like you are not wasting any time on your catch up.

Some direction on depth would also be greatly appreciated, I have a poor attention span and sometimes I can struggle if I am not involved early enough. That usually means it ends up under the bed and I would hate to be missing anything decent.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Op I would like to try a few of these.

Any chance you could give us a really basic synopsis and rate them?

I haven't much time, you sound like you are not wasting any time on your catch up.

Some direction on depth would also be greatly appreciated, I have a poor attention span and sometimes I can struggle if I am not involved early enough. That usually means it ends up under the bed and I would hate to be missing anything decent.

Of course! Out of everything I had have read so far, I would say my favourites are 'How we disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee', 'Educated by Tara Westover' and 'My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. I would definitely recommend these to you.

'How we disappeared' enthralled me. It moves from the past to the present, then back to the past and so forth, so I found myself constantly asking questions about the characters and why people were behaving in certain ways etc. I didn't know much about the actions of the Japanese in Singapore during WW2 and this book actually made me go look up articles pertaining to the main theme of the book.

'Educated' is a memoir. I found myself in disbelief, many times during it. I am the same age as the author (30s) so it was crazy to read about the life she was leading in the States, while I was here living in rural Ireland. Some of what happens in it is alarming and at times, uncomfortable. I found myself researching the family and the author afterwards as I really wondering whether some parts were truthful.

'My Dark Vanessa' is a fantastic example of grooming and manipulation. I found the main character infuriating at times, but I was desperate to read if she was going to reconcile with herself. It can be uncomfortable to read at times, a little like Lolita.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Of course! Out of everything I had have read so far, I would say my favourites are 'How we disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee', 'Educated by Tara Westover' and 'My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. I would definitely recommend these to you.

'How we disappeared' enthralled me. It moves from the past to the present, then back to the past and so forth, so I found myself constantly asking questions about the characters and why people were behaving in certain ways etc. I didn't know much about the actions of the Japanese in Singapore during WW2 and this book actually made me go look up articles pertaining to the main theme of the book.

'Educated' is a memoir. I found myself in disbelief, many times during it. I am the same age as the author (30s) so it was crazy to read about the life she was leading in the States, while I was here living in rural Ireland. Some of what happens in it is alarming and at times, uncomfortable. I found myself researching the family and the author afterwards as I really wondering whether some parts were truthful.

'My Dark Vanessa' is a fantastic example of grooming and manipulation. I found the main character infuriating at times, but I was desperate to read if she was going to reconcile with herself. It can be uncomfortable to read at times, a little like Lolita.

These sound cool. I will pick one up this week, probably Singapore in WW2, sounds fascinating.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    These sound cool. I will pick one up this week, probably Singapore in WW2, sounds fascinating.

Cool! Let me know what you think of it. I don't know anyone who has read it yet apart from myself. So interested to hear others' thoughts.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng.

It had me hooked from early on. Ending left me wanting more.

Caelainn Hogan's Republic of Shame.

Harrowing and tough to read at times. I'm in my 30's and I didn't realise that some of the homes were still open when I was a teenager.

Witch by Finbar Hawkins.

A quick read that I read over Halloween. A little confusing at times but ultimately an interesting read.

The Vine Witch by Luanne G. Smith.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

The Education of Little Tree by Forest Carter.

A beautiful, moving book. I can't believe it was written by a man whose morality I would really question.

If anyone is going to read it, read it and then look up Forest Carter after, not beforehand.

Opium and Absinthe by Lydia Kang.

• Advertisement

So aiming to read at least 60 books this year in 2021.

1. The Dark by John McGahren. Very dark and desolate at times. I imagine it represents 1960s parochial Ireland quite well.

2. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. Honestly, I struggled to finish it. I just couldn't take to the insect characters at all.

Advertisement