Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of fascia, soffit & gutters

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

Aluminium is fine if you know how to fit it
    If your comfortable with ladders it's an easy diy job for 2 people you can buy rubber stops to stop ladder slidding
    It's also good having someone to hold ladder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

muffler wrote: »
    Maybe they're throwing in free window replacement for that price ;)

I think 2k of that is for scaffolding but it still seems incredibly excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I think 2k of that is for scaffolding but it still seems incredibly excessive
    I wouldnt be up to speed on Dublin prices but what you're planning is less than a days work for 2 men. Scaffolding shouldn't cost more than a few hundred to hire for a day. Id certainly shop around for more estimates.

One little thing you could do is price the materials yourself in a couple of provider's yards and when there (or phone) ask who they would recommend for fitting.

I wouldnt be up to speed on Dublin prices but what you're planning is less than a days work for 2 men. Scaffolding shouldn't cost more than a few hundred to hire for a day. Id certainly shop around for more estimates.

One little thing you could do is price the materials yourself in a couple of provider's yards and when there (or phone) ask who they would recommend for fitting.

Thanks Muffler, that's very solid advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JSheridan81

I've a 3 bed Semi with ground floor extension and I got a quote off Leinster Guttering of €1200 for new upvc gutters, soffits & facia, which I thought was a great deal.

I've cast iron gutters on the top level and running around the extension it's upvc, this was all here when I bought the property. But Leinster Guttering are also taking away the old guttering. All in all I think I got a good price, so if you still need the job done then contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've a 3 bed Semi with ground floor extension and I got a quote off Leinster Guttering of €1200 for new upvc gutters, soffits & facia, which I thought was a great deal.

I've cast iron gutters on the top level and running around the extension it's upvc, this was all here when I bought the property. But Leinster Guttering are also taking away the old guttering. All in all I think I got a good price, so if you still need the job done then contact them.

Have they done the work or did you just get a quote?

Alkers wrote: »
    Have they done the work or did you just get a quote?

They just came out and priced it up. They are starting the end of next month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'd certainly recommend changing the cast iron gutters from a safety perspective. I was in a rental property during storm Darwin of 2014 and the cast iron gutters came crashing down near the front door. I had the car parked out front and gutters broke the windscreen and damaged the wing and bonnet. If anyone had been coming in/out of the house at the time they survival would be unlikely.
    House was a terraced two storey so between us and neighbours a serious weight from a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Maybe they're throwing in free window replacement for that price ;)

Ha, thats nothing, I got a quote from Global and it was just under 10000, thats all facia boards replaced with PVC ones, but still crazy money

I'd certainly recommend changing the cast iron gutters from a safety perspective. I was in a rental property during storm Darwin of 2014 and the cast iron gutters came crashing down near the front door. I had the car parked out front and gutters broke the windscreen and damaged the wing and bonnet. If anyone had been coming in/out of the house at the time they survival would be unlikely.
    House was a terraced two storey so between us and neighbours a serious weight from a height.

You were lucky all right that nobody was coming out! Yeah that price includes removing cast iron and replacing with upvc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Are the cheaper quotes just covering over the existing wooden fascia and soffit with pvc ? I’ve got that job which now needs replacing after a good few years and was told that was the old way of doing things but no longer recommended as good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnDoeIreland

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Are the cheaper quotes just covering over the existing wooden fascia and soffit with pvc ? I’ve got that job which now needs replacing after a good few years and was told that was the old way of doing things but no longer recommended as good practice.

I only had mine done that way before the lockdown. I hope they last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I only had mine done that way before the lockdown. I hope they last!

Well I'd say mine is there at least 20 years and was done before I owned the house so wouldn't worry. Bits starting to come loose now, gaps opening in joints and some of the underlying timber I can see doesn't look great.

I must give them a ring. I filled out their webform and they never came back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Hi,

Just checking if you got this job done and how it worked out ? I need to get this done but an just about to start to get some prices. Be interested to see how it worked out ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

Any recommendations for a company around Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Apparently the ballpark rule of thumb is said to be a tenner per linear foot for fascia and soffit supplied and fitted

Not sure if that is plus VAT or including VAT

Apparently the ballpark rule of thumb is said to be a tenner per linear foot for fascia and soffit supplied and fitted

Not sure if that is plus VAT or including VAT

I got a good few quotes for this recently in Dublin 12 and the best ballpark I could get was 100e per linear m installed for gutter, facia and soffit.

This was a proper roofing company who came and worked from a cherry picker, there was all manners of cowboys working from a ladder etc who might have been cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I got a good few quotes for this recently in Dublin 12 and the best ballpark I could get was 100e per linear m installed for gutter, facia and soffit.

This was a proper roofing company who came and worked from a cherry picker, there was all manners of cowboys working from a ladder etc who might have been cheaper

Some job getting a Jerry picker down the side and back of the majority of Dublin houses ;)

I ended up going with Leinster Guttering. Initial price was €1250, but I got a few extras done and it came in at €1450. I'm more than happy with it, they done a great job. All the old cast iron guttering and downpipes replaced with new more modern pvc. That price was for a semi detached house.... so guttering front, side, back & extension. I'll stick up a few photos tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 chopper53

PCros wrote: »
    Have 3 quotes so far and they are all in around €1200/€1300 for black. Was also looking to match the front anthracite grey windows so to match that was coming in around €1500. Think I'll just go black.

I also have a small roof at the front which covers the porch and sitting room too so that is extra work there.
    Could you please pm the companies you got quotes from plesse? Just doing some research. Thanks.

Fascia is approx €20 per 5 metre length, and soffit is approx €10 per 5 metre length. That is €30 for material costs to cover 5 metres, which is €6 per linear metre. Granted there are trims, nails etc. that aren't factored in, and the gutters aren't included also, but they are relatively inexpensive.

Someone is making a few bob all the same

Fascia is approx €20 per 5 metre length, and soffit is approx €10 per 5 metre length. That is €30 for material costs to cover 5 metres, which is €6 per linear metre. Granted there are trims, nails etc. that aren't factored in, and the gutters aren't included also, but they are relatively inexpensive.

Someone is making a few bob all the same

I agree completely but o contacted over fifteen companies and only a few were significantly cheaper but they were seriously dodgy - fake websites, addresses, other people's photos etc.

I agree completely but o contacted over fifteen companies and only a few were significantly cheaper but they were seriously dodgy - fake websites, addresses, other people's photos etc.

I'd say you would get them to travel from Cork and Limerick for less than that money!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 neil_peart

Any recommendations of companies that carried out good work?? Dublin region

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We used Leinster Guttering recently and would highly recommend them. Arrived when he said he would, cleaned up after himself and the work he did looks really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 s0000

Hi folks,

I need advice...
    I was originally quoted 2000E for the replacement of facias and soffits for the black uPVC type..
    When they took down the old timber facias, they said that the 2 rafters on the front and back of the house nearest facias were rotten and the felt needed to be changed around the perimeter of the roof.. they then added 3000E extra for this...
    Did I just get scammed?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Minifox

Has anyone had guttering replaced recently? Some of the prices here seem very low. You can't get a tradesman to do much these days for 1,500.

I'm in the country in Meath, in a 200m, 20-year-old bungalow.

Forgive my ignorance but why are soffit and fascia routinely replaced with guttering. Mine are PVC and don't appear to have anything wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I had someone lined up to do mine but he let me down after waiting 4 months, he was quoting 8 to 12k depending on how much backing board needed to be replaced, it was pvc fascia, gutters and downpipes.

between a larger detached garage and house , there’s 180 sq metres of fascia, 90 metres of gutters and a fair few down pipes, other two quotes I got so far are 8k (but not exactly sure what he is doing other than soffits, fascia and gutters) and approx 20k (aluminium seamless gutters, downpipes and fascia) and up to 30 metres of backing board, replacing all boxes and extending the flashing in places

Post edited by Curiousness99 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭The Ging and I

Just a small but important detail. If you are replacing soffits and facias with wood use marine ply. White deal will last 10 years so be careful what you have a quote for.

Advertisement