17-01-2021, 09:12   #2146
Dubstar07

Quote:
Originally Posted by championc View Post
Is your roof south facing ? Work out your available space and then look at the approximate size of panels to get an idea as to how many will fit.

Be aware of potential shading, especially during Winter sun.

And what is your baseload during a standard afternoon ? Ideally, you want to try and cover the base load on a semi crappy day. That's why you should install as many panels as you can fit - and even more so if you ever have plans to go with an EV
Yep, south facing roof, should have minimal shading, chimney on west side of the roof. Annual consumption is approx 4,600 kWh, need to work out base load. No EV on the horizon just yet, but it will arrive at some point.
Advertisement
17-01-2021, 11:48   #2147
championc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar07 View Post
Yep, south facing roof, should have minimal shading, chimney on west side of the roof. Annual consumption is approx 4,600 kWh, need to work out base load. No EV on the horizon just yet, but it will arrive at some point.
So be planning for installation starting in the bottom right hand corner, and with two strings, make sure that one is going to be 100% shadow free.

Look currently at where the shadow is thrown, and work out where it will be roughly later in the year.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 15:06   #2148
minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Hi all, great thread.

I'm looking into getting solar PV, ~6kW split approx 70/30% on South/West facing roof based on available space. Annual consumption 10,000 kWh, 35% night rate, heat pump system. I'm going relatively large on the install to maximise the output in winter when we need it most. Planning to move to an EV in coming months which I will charge on night rate during week and from the solar at the weekends.

Based on the advice on this thread I won't be considering a hot water diverter or battery. I believe we'll have a FIT sooner than later so will hopefully be making a few Euros in the summers.

I have a number of quotes and would appreciate your thoughts:

Quote1: 5kW, 14x360W Longi + Solis 5k inverter: 7377 Eur incl VAT
Quote2: 6kW, 370W Trinasolar + Solax inverter: 8430 incl VAT
Quote3: 4.2kW, 14x320W Amerisolar + Trannergy inverter: 7000 incl VAT

I will be asking all to add in panels to bring up to 6kW.

House 5 yrs old, no grant applicable.

Thanks in advance
Just an update to this post.

I went back to these suppliers and another suggested through PM. I ended up with a 25% reduction on a per kW basis.

I'm going ahead with a 6kW system for 6700 EUR (no grant applicable). Installer from NI. At about 1100 EUR/kW installed I think it's a reasonable price.

The moral is: get plenty of quotes and don't be shy to go back to them for their best price.

Thanks for the feedback and PMs.
(4) thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:34   #2149
Boscoirl

Just have to the go ahead to the for the following quote

5kw Array of 340w panels (will add more down the line. This is all that could be added due to SEAI regs and odd shaped roof on the garage)
5kw hybrid inverter - Solis
4.8kwh Pylontec battery
Iboost for water.
And all associated bits and bobs.

€8300 before grant. Happy enough with that.

Thanks to Slave1 for the details.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:43   #2150
KCross

There is a FiT just around the corner(this summer). Why install a battery or the iBoost? Just utilise the FiT and get paid for all the excess.

At the very least get a few quotes without the battery and diverter included.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion