Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

slave1 wrote: »
    PS I have way over the number of panels allowed (36m2) and SEAI don't care but they do care about the edge gaps

Is there an explanation somewhere as to why the 50cm edge gap stipulation applies? Is it purely from an aesthetics point of view or is it something safety related such as high winds being able to catch the panels more if they are too close to an exposed edge?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

AFAIK it's wind in terms of safety and not having them fly off and also noise, could be totally wrong in all that though

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

Hi all,

Looking to dip my toe in....been on the radar for a while. Two queries:

1. Has anyone gone about the process slightly different, in going to the suppliers with a spec of kit they want, (like a standard tender) rather than just asking for them to quote?

2. With the FIT consultation announced, are prices expected to change much from the installation companies?

Thanks, Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

Dubstar07 wrote: »
    Hi all,

1. Has anyone gone about the process slightly different, in going to the suppliers with a spec of kit they want, (like a standard tender) rather than just asking for them to quote?

2. With the FIT consultation announced, are prices expected to change much from the installation companies?

Thanks, Dub

Well people SHOULD go and price the kit with midsummer.ie or solartricity.ie and see how much they are then being ripped off by.

Some like me just went to those companies and bought the stuff !!!

Demand will increase and sellers will get busier. So they may be less inclined to be beaten down on price for sure. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Deagol

Hi all,

Thanks, Dub

Many companies won't quote what you specify unless it aligns with their preferences. At the end of the day, they will have to stand over the installation and warranties etc, and they have to be comfortable with the equipment.

TBH, if I had a vendor who was happy to quote me anything I wanted without question I would question their experience and the likelihood of them backing it up in the case of problems.

In my case, I had an idea what I wanted but when the supplier suggested substitues or alternatives I was inclined to go with their recommendations. Seems a bit pointless employing professionals and then disregarding their advise? I took careful note of what they said though and went and did my own checking to make sure it aligned with their statements etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭idc

championc wrote: »
    Well people SHOULD go and price the kit with midsummer.ie or solartricity.ie and see how much they are then being ripped off by.

Some like me just went to those companies and bought the stuff !!!

That makes sense if your happy going up on roof and fitting panels yourself or doing much of the cabling and setup and generally enjoy DIY.

But there will be plenty of people who are not comfortable doing that. So difference between price of midsummer /solarcity and an installer is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kev3434

Hi all,

Thanks, Dub

I've told a couple what I'd like. The hard sell comes after that.... With more panels, batteries you can achieve x,y,z...
    I have had two suppliers who engaged in the conversation and didn't try to up sell.

idc wrote: »
    That makes sense if your happy going up on roof and fitting panels yourself or doing much of the cabling and setup and generally enjoy DIY.

But there will be plenty of people who are not comfortable doing that. So difference between price of midsummer /solarcity and an installer is immaterial.

The point I was trying to make was that someone who knows what they want should price it up and see the RETAIL cost of the kit.

So I was not advocating DIY installs. I was suggesting that people educate themselves on the cost of the equipment.

There are far too many on here asking if this or that quote is reasonable when they clear are or are not, based on very simple calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭minnow

Hi all,

Thanks, Dub

I went out to several companies with a functional spec of what I wanted, i.e. the capacity of the system, no diverter, no battery. I left the selection of the type of panel/inverter to them.
    There were a couple that tried to convince me to look at adding a battery but they didn't try too hard when they understood that I had looked into options myself and was not interested.

I think that the coverage of a FIT will definitely create more demand for solar PV which will increase prices. It will probably attract a few more companies to install the systems.

Thanks all for the responses, I’ll steer away from putting a spec together I don’t have enough knowledge! I’ll read up a bit more before getting onto the masses!

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the responses, I’ll steer away from putting a spec together I don’t have enough knowledge! I’ll read up a bit more before getting onto the masses!

Is your roof south facing ? Work out your available space and then look at the approximate size of panels to get an idea as to how many will fit.

Be aware of potential shading, especially during Winter sun.

And what is your baseload during a standard afternoon ? Ideally, you want to try and cover the base load on a semi crappy day. That's why you should install as many panels as you can fit - and even more so if you ever have plans to go with an EV

championc wrote: »
    Is your roof south facing ? Work out your available space and then look at the approximate size of panels to get an idea as to how many will fit.

Be aware of potential shading, especially during Winter sun.

And what is your baseload during a standard afternoon ? Ideally, you want to try and cover the base load on a semi crappy day. That's why you should install as many panels as you can fit - and even more so if you ever have plans to go with an EV

Yep, south facing roof, should have minimal shading, chimney on west side of the roof. Annual consumption is approx 4,600 kWh, need to work out base load. No EV on the horizon just yet, but it will arrive at some point.

Yep, south facing roof, should have minimal shading, chimney on west side of the roof. Annual consumption is approx 4,600 kWh, need to work out base load. No EV on the horizon just yet, but it will arrive at some point.

So be planning for installation starting in the bottom right hand corner, and with two strings, make sure that one is going to be 100% shadow free.

Look currently at where the shadow is thrown, and work out where it will be roughly later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭minnow

minnow wrote: »
    Hi all, great thread.

I'm looking into getting solar PV, ~6kW split approx 70/30% on South/West facing roof based on available space. Annual consumption 10,000 kWh, 35% night rate, heat pump system. I'm going relatively large on the install to maximise the output in winter when we need it most. Planning to move to an EV in coming months which I will charge on night rate during week and from the solar at the weekends.

Based on the advice on this thread I won't be considering a hot water diverter or battery. I believe we'll have a FIT sooner than later so will hopefully be making a few Euros in the summers.

I have a number of quotes and would appreciate your thoughts:

Quote1: 5kW, 14x360W Longi + Solis 5k inverter: 7377 Eur incl VAT
    Quote2: 6kW, 370W Trinasolar + Solax inverter: 8430 incl VAT
    Quote3: 4.2kW, 14x320W Amerisolar + Trannergy inverter: 7000 incl VAT

I will be asking all to add in panels to bring up to 6kW.

House 5 yrs old, no grant applicable.

Thanks in advance

Just an update to this post.

I went back to these suppliers and another suggested through PM. I ended up with a 25% reduction on a per kW basis.

I'm going ahead with a 6kW system for 6700 EUR (no grant applicable). Installer from NI. At about 1100 EUR/kW installed I think it's a reasonable price.

The moral is: get plenty of quotes and don't be shy to go back to them for their best price.

Thanks for the feedback and PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Just have to the go ahead to the for the following quote

5kw Array of 340w panels (will add more down the line. This is all that could be added due to SEAI regs and odd shaped roof on the garage)
    5kw hybrid inverter - Solis
    4.8kwh Pylontec battery
    Iboost for water.
    And all associated bits and bobs.

€8300 before grant. Happy enough with that.

Thanks to Slave1 for the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is a FiT just around the corner(this summer). Why install a battery or the iBoost? Just utilise the FiT and get paid for all the excess.

At the very least get a few quotes without the battery and diverter included.

TBH, I’m not sure the FIT rate is going to be that great. would rather make use of the excess myself.

Haven’t been able to find any confirmation or information of it but on Newstalk last week they were discussing it and they mentioned something along the lines of only A rated houses would be able to avail of the FIT. Ours is far from that. Only 90% sure certain I’ll make the C rating.

The diverted to the water is just for pure laziness and comfort.

The ROI on the install wasn’t a major consideration in our choice.

Would like to get to the stage where the grid is there as a backup for our power needs.

I hope not A only as I had a right barney with my Assessor and I was B1 and held back due to my old inefficient oil burner.
    He said I'd get a A if I got a new burner with 86%+ efficiency but what pissed me off is I get my burner serviced and tested regularly and had all the efficiency readings kept and not one of them was below 86% so I should already have the A rating.
    His story was the BER system was "hard coding" a less than 86% rating for my model of burner given it's age and it could not be changed.
    What a load of boll1x.
    The other way for me to get to an A rating was to go mad with deeper insulation in my attic but that's a no no as I have it laid out for storage.

If it's only A rated houses I'm going to go nuts. I've spent 1000's getting my house to B3 - I don't see why it matter what the rating of house is if we're giving power back to the ESB.

Found the news talk segment. It was Eamon Ryan on Pat Kenny.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/households-should-be-able-to-sell-excess-renewable-power-by-summer-ryan-1134758

From around the 22nd min

It was actually Pat Kenny that mentioned the A rating requirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I think Eamon Ryan said B2 and higher.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    TBH, I’m not sure the FIT rate is going to be that great. would rather make use of the excess myself.

Haven’t been able to find any confirmation or information of it but on Newstalk last week they were discussing it and they mentioned something along the lines of only A rated houses would be able to avail of the FIT. Ours is far from that. Only 90% sure certain I’ll make the C rating.

The diverted to the water is just for pure laziness and comfort.

Would like to get to the stage where the grid is there as a backup for our power needs.

It’s not A. The proposal, like the current SEAI grant, is a minimum of C BER and they plan to increase that to a B over time.

The FiT looks like it will be reasonable. Maybe something like night rate. Better than paying out money for a diverter that won’t pay for itself.

There are non financial benefits of a diverter too, app control, temperature monitoring, remote access etc

There are non financial benefits of a diverter too, app control, temperature monitoring, remote access etc

Indeed, I have a temperature probe connected to mine that allows me to see if there's plenty hot water for a shower :) PLus I can remotely set turn on the immersion heaters if I want hot water when I get home from a cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Boscoirl wrote: »
    This is a point that often overlooked on here, I am the same.

The main consideration for me was being independent as far as power goes, the ROI was further down the priority list.

Totally agree ROI is very important for a lot of people (the majority), but not all, for some the ability to survive happily without grid power is above ROI.

SlowBlowin wrote: »

The main consideration for me was being independent as far as power goes, the ROI was further down the priority list.

Totally agree ROI is very important for a lot of people (the majority), but not all, for some the ability to survive happily without grid power is above ROI.

Biggest bugbear I have is that people are calculating the ROI on current energy prices - and I don't remember electricity prices NOT going up!

Plus, I've seen people do ROI calculations using capital costs for the solar equipment but then doing a comparison against running costs only (i.e. kerosene or gas price) without taking into account servicing / capital expenditure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Deagol wrote: »
    Plus, I've seen people do ROI calculations using capital costs for the solar equipment but then doing a comparison against running costs only (i.e. kerosene or gas price) without taking into account servicing / capital expenditure.

you can't take in the standing charge or capital expenditure of oil or gas into account. As it's already there. Your not going to get solar and be "don't need the gas anymore"

Same for the payback on solar, it can be only counted for usage, not against the standing charge.

But it could get to a point where the standing charge will be the majority of the bill.

I am in the "as long as you have a reason" camp but ie save time eg, don't have to light a fire in the summer to heat water. - the way my dad's house is plumbed up, we can manually trigger circulation pumps and pull heat out of the hot water tank and send it around the house. When the iboost cuts off because the tank is too hot.

Saving money is touch and go, although the iboost is a lot cheaper than the eddi - it's not free hot water.

Overall, I see solar as somewhat capping the electricity costs, which also goes towards minimizing the potential financial effect of a price hike.

An equivalent of the Octopus Agile tariff will come one day, and so solar gives you the flexibility to embrace these further.

You also need to remember that out consumption will rise massively in the next 10 years, as we all move towards EV's and then switching from oil or gas to ASHP for home heating.

Indeed, I have a temperature probe connected to mine that allows me to see if there's plenty hot water for a shower :) PLus I can remotely set turn on the immersion heaters if I want hot water when I get home from a cycle!

Each to their own I suppose. I dont have any value in those for hot water as I have a Heat pump and it shows me the temperature of the water already and it heats the water once a day. I dont need to manually boost it.

Fair enough though if you get value from those yourself.

SlowBlowin wrote: »

If you are truly off-grid then for sure its worth the money. How many people in the country does that fit though?

And in the context of this thread where nearly everyone is using the SEAI grant its tied to a grid connection so none of those people are really "independent as far as power goes".

-
    Ultimately, I suppose, its about transparency and people going into it with their eyes open. Alot of people will want an ROI but wont understand that some of the elements being quoted for wont actually give them any ROI and they'd be better off not having those bits.... the installers quote for the lot because its more equipment to get margin on and more labour to charge for.

Biggest bugbear I have is that people are calculating the ROI on current energy prices - and I don't remember electricity prices NOT going up!

Mine hasnt gone up for years. I switch provider every year and that keeps the price consistently low (~14c day / 7c night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

KCross wrote: »
    If you are truly off-grid then for sure its worth the money. How many people in the country does that fit though?

And in the context of this thread where nearly everyone is using the SEAI grant its tied to a grid connection so none of those people are really "independent as far as power goes".
    Totally agree, I should have said vast majority as opposed to majority.

I guess I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder, as will most early adopters of renewables. For the past 20+ years people have been asking me "whats the payback period on the windmill/solar", if you did the maths the payback was terrible.

As a side note, IMO I don't think electricity prices will rise long term, the opposite in fact, I believe they will fall to a fraction of the current price. At the same time I believe grid connection charges will rise and be the majority of most peoples bills.

Its the only model I can see for power companies surviving as more and more people install renewables and claim FIT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement