Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plasterboard and stud question

Options
  • 18-01-2021 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi guys.

Filling in one door of a jack and jill bathroom to make it a normal ensuite. I have removed the door frame and architrave exposing the stud and plasterboard.

The door is right near a shower so to the right of the door is a mositure resistant plasterboard and to the left door space is standard plasterboard.

They seem to be different thickness's. Id guess the thickness of moisture proof is 12.5mm and the plasterboard is 10mm. I am planning to tile over the entire thing afterwards.

My question is what do I place over the studs I'll fit in afterwards? How will I match both surfaces ?

https://ibb.co/JyrdMDs
    https://ibb.co/5YfLFg5
    https://ibb.co/mSx823x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's probably 9mm board .
    . Take down the 9mm and Replace with 12.5mm across wall, old door and to meet the green board

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As you PB or ply or whatever is going both sides and not spanning across the ope, you are 99% certain to get an expansion crack when it all settles, I would put a vertical edging bead along the two joins and tile in-between, you wont see the difference.

Without a continuous substrate across the new and old stud, I would not tile across the joins

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

As you PB or ply or whatever is going both sides and not spanning across the ope, you are 99% certain to get an expansion crack when it all settles, I would put a vertical edging bead along the two joins and tile in-between, you wont see the difference.

Without a continuous substrate across the new and old stud, I would not tile across the joins

Thanks to both of you for the input. Cala can you explain what your mean by a vertical edging bead please. Like a bead of filler or silicon in between there the new plasterboard meets the old?

When you say you wouldnt tile across the joints do you mean that you dont have a tile whos middle is the vertical edging bead? Thanks

What does the over door junction look like though? That's pretty important as it shows the transition

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

listermint wrote: »
    What does the over door junction look like though? That's pretty important as it shows the transition

You must have some pain in your neck carry around that massive brain of yours ! How didn't I think of that lol

I'll take the tiles off and report back tomorrow. Thanks for the input

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Take off the piece above the door and re board from floor to ceiling. The plaster board will be that length anyway. Also less chance of it looking like a door when it's plastered / jointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Tape the final joints with several strips of tape overlapping to make the transition from old to new. Plaster until transition is invisible then plaster entire wall with final skim

stoneill wrote: »
    Tape the final joints with several strips of tape overlapping to make the transition from old to new. Plaster until transition is invisible then plaster entire wall with final skim

Seems like an awful lot of work for tiling afterward .. be cheaper and quicker to throw up new board and not skim any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would take all the slabs off. ply the wall and moisture slab the wall.

Advertisement