Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two Way light switch fault

• 15-01-2021 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

We've a big kitchen with 6 lighting circuits, all on 2 way loops, with switches ( 6 gang) at each end of the room.
    After 10 years one circuit has developed a fault. If we turn on switch 4, of either bank, all other lights go out. And about 30secs later the fuse trips.
    I took out all the bulbs on switch 4, but no change.
    I'm assuming now that the fault is in one of the switches, and needs replacing.
    Anything else likely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Are the lives looped into the switch or to the lights fittings? It sounds like it's at the switch, given it takes out all circuits.

If looped in at switch, do you know which switch the incoming live is at and then the other switch will be to the lights? I would start there and remove the live to circuit 4 and check if all other still operate.

The live could also be coming in at both but would be a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

alan4cult wrote: »

If looped in at switch, do you know which switch the incoming live is at and then the other switch will be to the lights? I would start there and remove the live to circuit 4 and check if all other still operate.

Thanks. Not sure, but I'll work on the basis that one end is nearer the fuse box, and so more likely. Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement