Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned, but you tend to get a pretty good idea if a storm is coming for you well in advance, like when a big black cloud coming for you that is grumbling away; or do we now live in a time where people are so dependent on state institutions to tell them what's what they don't even bother to look up at the sky any more to know what is coming?

Warnings for a few random strikes that could turn up anywhere are way over the top and drama inducing. We don't exactly live in Kentucky or anything.

Many a time I have saved people a soaking on their lunchtime walk by telling them to turn around and look at the sky, alot people don't pay much attention to the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

alot people don't pay much attention to the sky.

Such people are to be avoided.

The greatest people walk closer to the sky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vbtj7nIQlo

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Call me old fashioned, but you tend to get a pretty good idea if a storm is coming for you well in advance, like when a big black cloud coming for you that is grumbling away; or do we now live in a time where people are so dependent on state institutions to tell them what's what they don't even bother to look up at the sky any more to know what is coming?

Warnings for a few random strikes that could turn up anywhere are way over the top and drama inducing. We don't exactly live in Kentucky or anything.

My point was specific to thunderstorms. And the example of my parents, 2 hour walk in a forest up a hill, at points of that they'd be 1 hour walk away from the car. It could be clear skies at the start of that walk. I don't see how a yellow warning is a big deal, or how it has anything to do with a nanny state, its a forecast from meteorologists, people can do as they want with that information. And you don't need to live in kentucky to get struck by lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    My point was specific to thunderstorms. And the example of my parents, 2 hour walk in a forest up a hill, at points of that they'd be 1 hour walk away from the car. It could be clear skies at the start of that walk. I don't see how a yellow warning is a big deal, or how it has anything to do with a nanny state, its a forecast from meteorologists, people can do as they want with that information. And you don't need to live in kentucky to get struck by lightning.

Perhaps it's us oldies being menacholy about the way it used to be ie sun and heavy showers.
    Everything is dramatized on social media beyond all reason whether that be an economic recession or weather warnings.
    Worth remembering we were told during the last recession that our grand children would still be paying for it yet 10 years later it was forgotten.
    Same thing applies to weather! We have storms being named now back in the 80s it was wet and windy and most of us just got on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Back in the 90s a day like today would be summed up with the following "heavy showers with an odd rumble of thunder to be heard"

• Advertisement

Speaking for just this part of the country, we tend to get storms when they aren't warned about, or have a warning issued after the storm is well underway.

And yes, very sad for the young lad in the UK, but the UK experiences far bigger thunderstorms than we do during the warm part of the year (which are still small fry compared to those on the continent)

New Moon

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    And you don't need to live in kentucky to get struck by lightning.
    Of course not, but roughly speaking, I'd say there is about a 10,000 greater chance.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Great shot near Naas today

F8-C222-BB-E2-FF-4-DC1-ADF9-68-FCF04-EA470.jpg

81-CB6-BE4-50-D4-4-D9-C-B442-D32-DDFB369-F3.jpg

C3015241-BDEE-4-D73-A59-D-344-CF8-DB3-CAA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Speaking for just this part of the country, we tend to get storms when they aren't warned about, or have a warning issued after the storm is well underway.

And yes, very sad for the young lad in the UK, but the UK experiences far bigger thunderstorms than we do during the warm part of the year (which are still small fry compared to those on the continent)

Yeah the UK does. Blackpool only had a high of 17c on tuesday, 11c at time of the thunderstorm. I agree things are often blown out of proportion but I think a yellow warning for thunderstorms is sensible, others disagree which is fair enough and I can see your point as to why.

I do agree with the general sentiment that things can be blown out of proportion. Like naming a storm when only extreme exposed coastal locations barely make the criteria. I'm going off topic now so I'll shut up ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

We almost never have a proper TS in Ireland.

Weather Boardsies love to blow things out of proportion and whine when their own predictions don't come true.

It's weather. It does what it wants, not what a bunch of amateur weather nerds want it to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A couple of claps of thunder around Durrow this afternoon accompanied with intense hail and rain mixed on the outskirts of town, but a wholly different story in town...

Here is an interesting observation from this area:

* Thunderstorm rolled in over us around 2.30pm and down-gusting ahead of the system dropped temperatures by over 5c in the space of minutes.
    * Two rainfall stations exactly 1 mile apart recorded 0.4mm and 8.0mm respectively. (My own station clocking up the 0.4mm).

Forgot to add, up to 10am this morning here we've recorded 40.0mm of rain for the month of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Cavan, Monaghan, Munster, Connacht

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms through this afternoon and evening, bringing some heavy downpours with the risk of hail and spot flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Sunday 16/05/2021 to 21:00 Sunday 16/05/2021

Issued: 09:31 Sunday 16/05/2021

Shower popped up and dropped 4.3mm in fifteen minutes over Durrow. It's moved off to the west now and the sun is back out. Very slow moving in general so anywhere getting showers today will clock up large totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dirty dark grey clouds over Tramore and more to my NNE. Will be an interesting day if this keeps up

This to my south now
    2021-05-16-12-06-26-222.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Reminiscent of (coastal) Florida holidays here in Dublin 16 today. Mostly clear and sunny here but seeing lots of inland convection/towering clouds to my west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Danno wrote: »
    Forgot to add, up to 10am this morning here we've recorded 40.0mm of rain for the month of May.

Beat you in North kerry. 60mm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Distant thunder, Delvin, Co Westmeath. No lightning yet

Big flash in Garrettstown/Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭highdef

robclay26 wrote: »
    Distant thunder, Delvin, Co Westmeath. No lightning yet

If you heard thunder, then there was definitely lightning, you just didn't see it.

I'm in Trim and that storm is approaching here now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Big flash in Garrettstown/Kinsale.

Yes, strikes showing up on the Cork coast, hope it makes its way to the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Thunder in youghal!!!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Crazy strikes over Naas with instant thunder

The storm on the approach to North kildare, looking in the general direction of Naas.

Hopefully this works now

Some great cloudscapes in North kildare a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Lightning, thunder North Offaly. Hailstones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Another day of warnings yet majority didn't get any storms. Granted a few did.

5 years ago thunder warnings were preserved for serious events and a thunder warning would raise an eyebrow as noteworthy.

These days......nuff said lol

187459272_3951258278321595_6782177455331157891_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=GUc_9xN8DRsAX93qRnm&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b542a988b193a286fe17d8e17576c109&oe=60C8E6A8

A view of the showers/thunder over western Laois at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

highdef wrote: »
    Some great cloudscapes in North kildare a few hours ago.

I'm getting playback error on all of those videos...:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lots of showers but not a lot of lightning today. Frequent showers in S Kerry today, but managed to get out walking for a couple of hours before some more rain in the mid afternoon. Came back to Tralee and turned into the most glorious evening, just 0.6mm here.

ruTcwUx.gif

kGM8Rth.png

• Advertisement

I'm getting playback error on all of those videos...:confused:

Thanks for that, not sure what happened there, uploaded from my mobile but normally use a computer. Here's the videos again from Sunday lunchtime:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement