Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible Storm Tuesday 17th April

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Very heavy rain here in Galway since 11 o clock, was very bad an hour ago and still coming down.
    Well over due if u ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Well the rain has now arrived in Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Got a short sharp taste of that squall line!! The noise was incredible! the rain was coming in sideways and the wind was howling!!! It didn't last long but wow!! :) lol (I live in a hollow so if it was like this here, what was it like up top!!) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Something around 80-90 mm/hr headed for Dublin soon if this is accurate

53339202.png

Seems to be two images overlaid though with the easterly one a lot more intense so it might be overestimating it

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

very heavy rain and wind here in tallaght,Dublin now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very windy with heavy bursts of rain in Poppintree for the last hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Heavy rain and strong gusts in South Kerry.
    Nothing too exciting yet but the pressure is up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Pretty sure I heard a good clap of thunder in Christchurch. Heavy rain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sweet jebus! I thought the world was ending there! In north city Dublin and the wind/rain combo was unreal! Sprang out of bed - it was like being in a car wash! Lasted around a minute then died back down to lighter gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Bin just gone flying down my street now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You just know the weather has been extremely dull of late, when you consider pulling an all-nighter to watch it rain !!!

We get a storm and it isn't even in Donegal!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

On subject of marine obs, M6 buoy not reporting wind data but UK K4 located west of M4 has all data available:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=62105

and should be right in the path of the low around 10-12 z.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just had a mega downpour of sleet here, ground partially white, followed by a huge rumble of thunder.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can see that on radar - pretty intense showers over Donegal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Clap of thunder and flash of lighting over Strabane, Northern Ireland just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Pretty sure I heard a good clap of thunder in Christchurch. Heavy rain too.

Definitely heard a rumble of thunder too around 12.35am - rain was absolutely epic for about 10 minutes! Don't think there was too much wind as the bins were still standing this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That squall woke me at around 1:40, the wildest I've seen it here in some time. Of course the 2am synop for nearby Casement is missing - the first missing one I've ever seen for there, and it would have given some interesting information! :mad:

Dublin Airport though reported a marked clockwise windshift in its 01:00 UTC synop, occuring at 0:48 UTC. Here are the METARs for before and after the front, showing the wind coming from southerly (170) to westerly (250) in between the 00:30 and 01:00Z reports.

EIDW 170200Z 27016KT 9999 -RA SCT015 BKN037 06/06 Q0997
    BECMG NSW=

EIDW 170130Z 27020KT 9999 -RA SCT015 BKN037 07/06 Q0997
    BECMG NSW=

METAR EIDW 170100Z 25024KT 9999 RA FEW015 SCT022 BKN037 08/07
    Q0997 BECMG NSW=

METAR EIDW 170030Z 17012KT 9999 -RA SCT018 BKN034 10/09 Q0997
    BECMG 18023G36KT 5000 RA=

METAR EIDW 170000Z 15013KT 9999 -RA FEW016 SCT018 BKN023
    09/08 Q0998 BECMG 18023G36KT 5000 RA=

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Certainly was a wild night in Waterford City. Not so much for wind speeds but rain.
    10.8mm fell in 3 hours with a Max Rainfall Rate of 24.6mm/hr at 1.25am.

I haven't checked through my records but i'm guessing it was the heaviest rain we have had here in quiet a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I only got 7mm overnight - very disappointing. When I was going to bed there was a big blob on the radar heading my way, I was certain of at least 25mm!

Look at the temperatures in Moscow and further east, straight from winter to summer with a very brief spring in between, compare that to our climate- this morning was colder than most mornings last January and we're only two months away from mid summer! Here spring lasts from January to June.
    The difference between a continental climate and our miserable oceanic climate.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just driven into Galway City in a hail storm and very strong winds, it was unreal. Winter is back with a vengance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thunder lightning hail stones at 7:30am in donegal town (took the power out)

(see pangea beat me to it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

So I check my rain gauge. 2.5mm since midnight????
    Can't be right?
    Cobh http://www.corkharbourweather.ie/ rain 3.8mm today [since midnight]

Amazing we got almost no rain [comparably] or no rain recorded

Now, showery: 12.6°C sharp rise as sun hits sensor
    Wind F2 gust 32 khm @03:06
    Pressure: 998.9 ↓

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

2 wild hail showers this morning. East Galway
    Like a lot of others said suprisingly low rainfall amount last night considering the noise ! 7mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

gbee wrote: »
    So I check my rain gauge. 2.5mm since midnight????
    Can't be right?
    Cobh http://www.corkharbourweather.ie/ rain 3.8mm today [since midnight]

Amazing we got almost no rain [comparably] or no rain recorded

Now, showery: 12.6°C sharp rise as sun hits sensor
    Wind F2 gust 32 khm @03:06
    Pressure: 998.9 ↓

Both Cork Airport and Roches Point recorded less than 1 mm from midnight to 6 am so not surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

There was a lot of flooding around parts of Galway when I drove through in a monsoon at around midnight last night,never saw rain like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Is that a squall line forming on the latest radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I only got 7mm overnight - very disappointing. When I was going to bed there was a big blob on the radar heading my way, I was certain of at least 25mm!

Look at the temperatures in Moscow and further east, straight from winter to summer with a very brief spring in between, compare that to our climate- this morning was colder than most mornings last January and we're only two months away from mid summer! Here spring lasts from January to June.
    The difference between a continental climate and our miserable oceanic climate.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.html

They are hours ahead of us you know... its afternoon in Russia! Bound to be warmer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

sun splitting the Sky's in Dublin .... :rolleyes:

No sign of a storm coming here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Min wrote: »
    Is that a squall line forming on the latest radar?

Looks like it... lets hope it gains strength before getting to me! ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Danno wrote: »
    They are hours ahead of us you know... its afternoon in Russia! Bound to be warmer!
    'fraid not. It has nothing to do with the time of day, it's all about distance from the sea - very cold winters, warm summers and very short springs and autumns are the characteristics of a continental climate.

Advertisement