Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Much colder Tues onward ------>Frost/wintry showers (Risk of snow in East for a time)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Su Campu wrote: »
    To be honest, technically Christmas 2010 was NOT a white Christmas! Although there were 20 cm of lying snow at Dublin Airport, no snow actually FELL there during the day, therefore the requirement for a White Christmas was not met!

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03969&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2010&mes=12&day=26&hora=00

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And it does similarly with nearly every other person too.....

Once again heres my reasons why we enjoy it....
    1. Its nice and comforting...
    2. Frosty mornings / scenery are great for getting out in.
    3. Snow is the great excitement , to look at , to go out in , to bring back childhood memories...
    4. Lampost watching...

I could go on and on... :)

SUre its not gonna last long anyways so :) :rolleyes:

Sure if that floats your boat, smashing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Well, we had frost in the East this morning......

IMG_0952-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

To be honest, technically Christmas 2010 was NOT a white Christmas! Although there were 20 cm of lying snow at Dublin Airport, no snow actually FELL there during the day, therefore the requirement for a White Christmas was not met!

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03969&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2010&mes=12&day=26&hora=00

I am aware of that technicality, however that is all it is, a technicality for the likes of paddy power and the punters. In the real world a white Christmas is if it is white on that day. It did snow here on Christmas Day 09 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Well, we had frost in the East this morning......

Casement reported ground frost from 11pm last night to 8am this morning, with a minimum ground temperature of -6 °C and air temperature of -1.7 °C.

• Advertisement

Casement reported ground frost from 11pm last night to 8am this morning, with a minimum ground temperature of -6 °C and air temperature of -1.7 °C.

Didn't get below +0.8 (air temp) here but we got a nice ground frost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

bryaner wrote: »
    Sure if that floats your boat, smashing..

Welcome to the weather forum.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

In fairness it is a weather forum for weather enthusiasts. That might just explain it:)

You mean it's for snow enthusiasts.
    I questioned last year why the great interest in snow and was given an excellent answer which eluded to the fact it wasn't snow they were interested only it was abnormal weather something away from the norm blah blah.
    A good response I thought and it was thanked by many .
    Yet last week we had Record breaking temperatures for march in many areas exceptional sunny days and yet most evening there was 6-10 members viewing, yet when we have the prospect of snow you may get up to 100 people viewing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

You mean it's for snow enthusiasts.
    I questioned last year why the great interest in snow and was given an excellent answer which eluded to the fact it wasn't snow they were interested only it was abnormal weather something away from the norm blah blah.
    A good response I thought and it was thanked by many .
    Yet last week we had Record breaking temperatures for march in many areas exceptional sunny days and yet most evening there was 6-10 members viewing, yet when we have the prospect of snow you may get up to 100 people viewing

In fairness there was a thread for it. I myself would have contributed more but was not in a position to do so. There was good reporting in the thread. I suppose people were not really expecting things to be as good as they were. The shock probably had them outdoors as opposed to in front of a computer screen which I would like to think was the case given weather like that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looking at the bigger picture I pity anyone who has booked a "Sun" holiday in the Med over the next 2 weeks - looking exceptionally unsettled and cold in many parts:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Looking at the bigger picture I pity anyone who has booked a "Sun" holiday in the Med over the next 2 weeks - looking exceptionally unsettled and cold in many parts:confused:

I pity them too but it is much needed unsettled weather for those parts: the drought that has been affecting Spain and parts of Italy is very serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The old snow debate rages on :)

It's a matter of preferences.

Has anyone ever had a rain ball fight? Hence the love of snow :)

That drop of rain last night was welcoming. Soil was being to crack in places.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cold air really digging into Scotland now. Aboyne reporting a temp of 1c atm and sleet. Last week Aboyne recorded a temp of 24c!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

The Rebel County had snow during the cold snap in Winter 2010/2011... thats our quota of snow completed for the next 10 years!:D

:( nooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We might see some frost, but sure we had that last week in Dublin too. Sky and RTE showing the high coming thru on thursday so looks like a nice wekend. Friday to be nice anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Met Éireann not sure?... 2nd update this morning.

02 April 2012 11:33

Today
    It will be cloudy today, with isolated light showers. Highest temperatures 10 to 12 degrees, in a light to moderate northwest breeze.

Tonight

There'll be a few clear spells early tonight, but generally it will be a cloudy and misty night with patches of drizzle. A spell of more persistent and locally heavy rain will develop over Ulster, north Connacht and north Leinster late in the night. Towards dawn, the rain may turn to sleet on hills. Lowest temperatures 3 to 6 degrees.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be a cool, wet, breezy day. Rain will be heavy and persistent at first, breaking up in to showers as the morning goes on. Showers will be of hail and sleet in the north and northeast with some snow over the mountains there. Temperatures tomorrow will be significantly down on recently with highest temperatures over Ulster expected to be between 3 and 6 degrees. It will be somewhat milder elsewhere but still low between 5 and 10 degrees generally. Strong and gusty north to northwest winds will develop tomorrow too, backing northeasterly in the late afternoon and evening, giving significant wind chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

And Again

Met Éireann....

02 April 2012 16:56

Today
    Cloudy with occasional showers this evening and early tonight.

Tonight

Showers continuing into the night, but there will be outbreaks of rain or drizzle developing in the north overnight and rain will slowly move southwards during Tuesday. Some rain/sleet mix is possible after the main band of rain passes, and there will be wintry showers in the north of the country under clearer skies. The showers will be mostly of rain here, and snow is likely but falling mainly on high ground. Overnight lows of 2 to 6 degrees Celsius, lowest in the north when skies clear and highest in the south.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Tuesday, will be cold and windy. Rain moving southwards during the day will be followed by clearer skies and showers mostly of rain, some hail and sleet during the afternoon, and snow falling in hilly areas of the north and on the Wicklow mountains. During the afternoon, temperatures are expected to be around 5 to 8 degrees Celsius, up to 9 degrees in the southern coastal parts and a degree or two lower in hilly areas. However, with moderate to strong, and gusty, north to northeast winds there will be a wind chill and it will feel very cold indeed. .....Sounds like Gerry Murphy Did this one? ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very interesting Danish precipitation forecast for East Coast, especially for Wednesday morning...

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I think there's a big risk of significant accumulations of snow over high ground, Wicklow mountains look like getting plastered.

It's an interesting one because the winds will be brisk too and white out conditions could be reported in exposed higher locations for a time, especially after dark.
    Wouldn't rule out some lower levels getting a sprinkle after dark either. We shall see.

hirlam-2-33_qfd9.png

hirlam-1-33_atr1.png

hirlam-8-36_npb1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes it is quite a cold airstream that comes in and on recent model runs the gradient has tightened indicating there will be a strong flow over the Irish sea.

Maybe i will get some Birthday snowfall tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Maybe i will get some Birthday snowfall tomorrow!

Just for you Weathercheck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P90dKxlsUJo&feature=fvst ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It was the very end of March 2 years ago that Cavan got the 7ft high snow drifts, it was a real blizzard here too. Could be similar maybe but it was confined to higher ground here, down in Kilkenny city and the lowlands around they got rain, while we had roads blocked with snow over 3ft deep.

This will be very bad for farming so I hope it is sleet at worse, all the farmers I know have all their stock now out so snow is the last thing one wants to see from an agricultural viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eredmond

Will Waterford see anything?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

eredmond wrote: »
    Will Waterford see anything?

Don't think so but stranger things have happened.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lots of snow falling now to the northern 1/3 of Scotland. http://trafficscotland.org/lev/#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Just caught Gerry there on the forecast, he mentions the change in the weather being a shock to the system! :D Very cold indeed!
    Talked about wintery showers especially up in the north. Temps dropping significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Not expecting much in Naas it is still 8C here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lucreto wrote: »
    Not expecting much in Naas it is still 8C here.

The cold air won't get to Naas until around midday tomorrow onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

You gotta love this Island. 20 degrees couple day's back and now snow on the way:D

• Advertisement

Advertisement