Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Putting your pronoun on Linkedin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I don't know why people get so annoyed about such a tiny gesture of solidarity with trans people.

Distortion of the English language to assuage a tiny, tiny percentage of people?
    It's not a tiny gesture, it's an an example of the tyranny of the few holding sway.
    A manager in my company has recently sent round a notice proclaiming that he will now state his pronouns. He's a complete tool and everyone thinks so.
    Most men who say they are trans women never have surgery, they are engaged in autogynephilia. Trans activists deny this is even a thing. It is actually THE thing in the vast majority of men declaring themselves women.More actual women need to stand up against this shyte.
    It's virtue signalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I identify as someone who uses adverbs. Which change regularly. Dont you dare misadverb me!
    Gynoid. Sleepily / Slow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

brevity wrote: »
    http://pronoun.is/all-pronouns

Handy guide for those that are curious

Nope, no. not happening. One of them is simply 'e'. That's a letter, not a pronoun! Another is 'zme'... Whatdeactualfuk?

Don't care what someone wants to call themselves, as long as I'm not forced to put something on my work documents. Work is no place for this craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

just call the person by their name. solves the problem.

"daheff had enough of this nonsense & attempts to provoke outrage. "

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't know why people get so annoyed about such a tiny gesture of solidarity with trans people.
    I call shenanigans on that and frankly I've had it up to my oxsters with an absolutely tiny minority of lippy "activists"*, who by virtue of being shrieking irritants are making things worse for actual trans and intersex people with this bloody nonsense. There are three genders, male, female and intersex. Anything else is almost always some egotistical and adolescent self label to make someone think they're special and unique and has about as much weight as insisting on being referred to as a goth. And fair enough, whatever floats your particular boat, but don't go around imposing that on the rest of humanity.

*almost always male to female "trans". Female to male you hear far fewer going on about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Vicxas wrote: »
    My company is one of those "woke" ones, and all the LGBT people put "schlee/schlim" or whatever they put in their email sigs and wear badges.

It makes me sick to my stomach that this is what the world is.

If you need to wear a badge to tell the world you’re a man then guess what - you’re not a fcukin man!!

This can all simply be resolved by having a quick gander into your cacks! There are only two options and you were born with one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

One of them is simply 'e'. That's a letter, not a pronoun!

So is 'I', in fairness! I agree with you though, that list is ridiculous.

It hasn't happened to me, but if someone was very particular about their pronouns, I'd just use their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

I work for an American company and we are directed to not use the word "guys" - as in "hey guys" or "thanks guys" - as it's not inclusive. I shït you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Ardent wrote: »
    I work for an American company and we are directed to not use the word "guys" - as in "hey guys" or "thanks guys" - as it's not inclusive. I shït you not.

https://youtu.be/bX9FgvXZXZ8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i walked away from organised religion because it required me to profess belief in things which my faculties for reason, observation and logic told me were untrue. i refuse to go backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Of course everyone should be referred to by their pronoun of choice, but this thing of putting he/him etc on social media profiles is bolloxology.

It’s not about expressing solidarity, it’s about portraying yourself as more enlightened than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If anyone imagines that solidarity is a pronoun, their issues are a lot bigger than very small words. Pronouns are reference and substitute words not titles. Misusing and mismatching them just causes all sorts of confusion and not a small amount of irritation at the abuse of grammar rules.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sweet Jesus... 495490.gif What a grim assembly of spoilt mental cases. "Sensory overload"? I suggest a swift and forceful kick in your fat arse to reset that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Of course everyone should be referred to by their pronoun of choice, but this thing of putting he/him etc on social media profiles is bolloxology.

It’s not about expressing solidarity, it’s about portraying yourself as more enlightened than others.

There seemed to be a big push from some in the trans community encouraging the practice. I think less from a 'solidarity' angle but more from a 'if everyone is doing it, it's not such a big deal for trans people to announce that they're trans' ... maybe that's the same as solidarity, now that I think about it.

Don't see it as much anymore.

Communication is less likely to be successful when participants have to keep repairing it through having to clarify what simple reference words like pronouns mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's like the output from a pick-3-random-letters generator

Only in English can this type of carry-on happen, although lovely to see thon in there! No other language would tolerate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He better never go to a concert, pub or even the cinema so where he would be told to go fook himself if he ever came out with crap like that.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,970 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It puts the lotion in the basket.

Probably the safest way to refer to people these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

is_that_so wrote: »
    Only in English can this type of carry-on happen, although lovely to see thon in there! No other language would tolerate this.

I did some interesting research on this the other day. It’s an absolute nightmare in other euro languages but there are still movements to change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I think I'll go with vi/vim. Screw Emacs.

He/She/Fuck off. Sorted.

I did some interesting research on this the other day. It’s an absolute nightmare in other euro languages but there are still movements to change.
    It's the bodies who control language rules who decide and they don't move fast. The Germans took 20 years to agree to change the double "s" and adding "new" pronouns is a whole lot more complicated. A lot of languages already have Tu v Vous distinction anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I thought the second guy was taking the p!ss about the gendered language. I really hope that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just insist cūnt is a valid pronoun.

Cūnt went to the park.

I went with cūnt.

Cūnt brought cūnt’s frisbee.

At least I think it was cūnt’s.

If anyone from Talent Development, Human Capital Management, or the People Resource Centre start giving you grief then accuse them of some sort of ism or phobia. Should be good for a promotion as well to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brevity

Nope, no. not happening. One of them is simply 'e'. That's a letter, not a pronoun! Another is 'zme'... Whatdeactualfuk?

Don't care what someone wants to call themselves, as long as I'm not forced to put something on my work documents. Work is no place for this craic.

I’m all for transgender rights (I’m not even sure the pronoun thing is a transgender thing) etc but I have some questions but I was to ask those questions I am immediately asterisked as someone who could be “problematic”.

If this is happening in a work environment and I get a pronoun wrong does that mean I’m up in front or HR?

I dunno anymore man...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

antodeco (has willy).

Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I’m all for transgender rights (I’m not even sure the pronoun thing is a transgender thing) etc but I have some questions but I was to ask those questions I am immediately asterisked as someone who could be “problematic”.

If this is happening in a work environment and I get a pronoun wrong does that mean I’m up in front or HR?

I dunno anymore man...
    The pronoun thing is more for people who identify as non-binary, which is nothing more than an attention grab. They're not trans or gay but want to identify as LGBT and this way is perfect. Their pronouns can also change on a daily basis, depending on whether they feel male, female or neither on the day :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The pronoun thing is more for people who identify as non-binary, which is nothing more than an attention grab. They're not trans or gay but want to identify as LGBT and this way is perfect. Their pronouns can also change on a daily basis, depending on whether they feel male, female or neither on the day :rolleyes:

i was reading an interview with your wan from Billions where she's referred to as they all the time, and she's 'they' irl as well.
    said that growing up the guys got better roles and more interesting lives so she decided to opt out of being female, basically.
    didn't decide to examine the gender roles in women or anything, no, we should stick with gender roles and i'm not one of them.
    we don't all like pink and sparkles and barbie. it doesn't make you not female

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Just insist cūnt is a valid pronoun.

Cūnt went to the park.

I went with cūnt.

Cūnt brought cūnt’s frisbee.

At least I think it was cūnt’s.

I'm fairly sure it IS a pronoun in Australia.

:D

Advertisement