Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Championships 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

kksaints wrote: »
    Three days away still, and I know I won't get a good night's sleep for a while, but the Wexford senior football final is the main event in the county this weekend. It has all the tools to be a humdinger, with both Castletown and Gusserane averaging around the seventeen point mark in scores per game, but Gusserane have the leakier defence and more of a tendency to blow hot and cold.

Even though Castletown have the championship top scorer in their ranks (Ben Brosnan with 5-29), Gusserane have really hit their stride in the last three games, and have compiled 8-43 during that time-frame. They also have been something of a bogey team for Castletown in recent years-they beat them in the semi-finals of 2014 and 2016, winning the title in the latter year.

I love a good coincidental stat (perhaps to make myself more confident :D) and the only other time Castletown won the title in the first year of a decade, they finished that decade as county champions too (1970 and 1979). We last won in 2010, which was incidentally the last time Liam Sheedy won the AI (our manager from 2010 has returned too :D). Gusserane are going for their seventh title. If Castletown win, they will move to joint-top of the roll of honour with Volunteers (11)- although Vols last one came in 1956, and they have dropped down the grades since. It's going to be close and hard to call. I hope it's not though and we are comfortable winners, if only for my own health.

Ferns and St.Martin's clash in the first senior hurling semi-final on Saturday. Ferns have never won a senior, but by dethroning defending champions Naomh Eanna the last day, a lot of the hurling fraternity took notice. St.Martin's have been perennial favourites for a few years now, but there is a feeling that they are plodding along more than usual this season and haven't been as dynamic since a round one thrashing of St.Anne's. They also have injury doubts too, and if the two players involved don't make it, it tips the balance towards Ferns. I actually think Ferns will win anyway as they have had a full three weeks to prepare for this while Martin's had a gruelling football semi vs Castletown in the interim.

Rapparees and St.Anne's go head to head in the other one. St.Anne's sprung a surprise in beating Shelmaliers last weekend, and are back-boned by Dee O'Keeffe and Liam Og McGovern. They have improved immensely from an almighty hammering to St.Martin's in round one, and confidence is brewing. However, Rapps look better placed to win this one. They have been knocking on the door without reaching the final in recent years and have a good, young team led by Liam Ryan and Kevin Foley. Fancy them to win through to their first decider since 2001 (I think)

Castletownman won't be on for a while because they were deserved winners in the Wexford Football Final today. A goal in the first minute sent Castletown on their way and a disallowed goal in the 23rd minute for Gusserane which was then followed a minute later by Castletown's second goal put them in a commanding position. Gusserane to their credit fought back and scored 1-3 in 3 minutes before half-time to leave a five point gap at halftime.

In the second half Castletown kept the scoreboard ticking over and even Gusserane's second goal left a five point gap between the teams. Then Castletown's no20 who was just brought on scored the third Castletown goal which sealed the win for them on a scoreline of 3-15 to 2-10 and gave Castletown their 11th Senior Football Championship to join the Volunteers on top of the honour list. Decent football with some very good scores from both sides even if the match wasn't as competitive as last years final. Castletown face Eire Og of Carlow in Leinster which should be a fascinating tie between Castletown's forward line and Eire Og's solid defense which only conceded four points in the Carlow football final last weekend.

I'm here!

What a great day. We really shot the lights out up front. James Holmes, all 38 years of him, destroyed their wing-back and scored six from play. Johnno Bealin scored a cracking second goal and that no.20 you refer to is Robbie Brooks- tore in from the far sideline and buried the ball when given half a sniff. Scored 3-14 from play and won by nine even though our top scorer Ben Brosnan was carry an injury.

So, so proud. We have very good young lads coming through together, midfielders Rory Heffernan and Liam Coleman have all the tools to play county already despite being 20 and 19 respectively, Frank Roche is perhaps our best marker in defence and Brooks is a powerful runner when he gets the chance.

Funny story. Half-time in our quarter final vs. Horeswood in what is considered a cracking game, an ould lad who is regarded as a bit of a GAA buff cornered me. Programme in hand, he pointed out Masterson, Morris, O'Shaughnessy and Holmes saying you can't win championships with that number of old lads. I will make sure to mention that the next time I see him :D

Eleven heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

kksaints wrote: »
    Three days away still, and I know I won't get a good night's sleep for a while, but the Wexford senior football final is the main event in the county this weekend. It has all the tools to be a humdinger, with both Castletown and Gusserane averaging around the seventeen point mark in scores per game, but Gusserane have the leakier defence and more of a tendency to blow hot and cold.

Even though Castletown have the championship top scorer in their ranks (Ben Brosnan with 5-29), Gusserane have really hit their stride in the last three games, and have compiled 8-43 during that time-frame. They also have been something of a bogey team for Castletown in recent years-they beat them in the semi-finals of 2014 and 2016, winning the title in the latter year.

I love a good coincidental stat (perhaps to make myself more confident :D) and the only other time Castletown won the title in the first year of a decade, they finished that decade as county champions too (1970 and 1979). We last won in 2010, which was incidentally the last time Liam Sheedy won the AI (our manager from 2010 has returned too :D). Gusserane are going for their seventh title. If Castletown win, they will move to joint-top of the roll of honour with Volunteers (11)- although Vols last one came in 1956, and they have dropped down the grades since. It's going to be close and hard to call. I hope it's not though and we are comfortable winners, if only for my own health.

Ferns and St.Martin's clash in the first senior hurling semi-final on Saturday. Ferns have never won a senior, but by dethroning defending champions Naomh Eanna the last day, a lot of the hurling fraternity took notice. St.Martin's have been perennial favourites for a few years now, but there is a feeling that they are plodding along more than usual this season and haven't been as dynamic since a round one thrashing of St.Anne's. They also have injury doubts too, and if the two players involved don't make it, it tips the balance towards Ferns. I actually think Ferns will win anyway as they have had a full three weeks to prepare for this while Martin's had a gruelling football semi vs Castletown in the interim.

Rapparees and St.Anne's go head to head in the other one. St.Anne's sprung a surprise in beating Shelmaliers last weekend, and are back-boned by Dee O'Keeffe and Liam Og McGovern. They have improved immensely from an almighty hammering to St.Martin's in round one, and confidence is brewing. However, Rapps look better placed to win this one. They have been knocking on the door without reaching the final in recent years and have a good, young team led by Liam Ryan and Kevin Foley. Fancy them to win through to their first decider since 2001 (I think)

Castletownman won't be on for a while because they were deserved winners in the Wexford Football Final today. A goal in the first minute sent Castletown on their way and a disallowed goal in the 23rd minute for Gusserane which was then followed a minute later by Castletown's second goal put them in a commanding position. Gusserane to their credit fought back and scored 1-3 in 3 minutes before half-time to leave a five point gap at halftime.

In the second half Castletown kept the scoreboard ticking over and even Gusserane's second goal left a five point gap between the teams. Then Castletown's no20 who was just brought on scored the third Castletown goal which sealed the win for them on a scoreline of 3-15 to 2-10 and gave Castletown their 11th Senior Football Championship to join the Volunteers on top of the honour list. Decent football with some very good scores from both sides even if the match wasn't as competitive as last years final. Castletown face Eire Og of Carlow in Leinster which should be a fascinating tie between Castletown's forward line and Eire Og's solid defense which only conceded four points in the Carlow football final last weekend.

I'm here!

What a great day. We really shot the lights out up front. James Holmes, all 38 years of him, destroyed their wing-back and scored six from play. Johnno Bealin scored a cracking second goal and that no.20 you refer to is Robbie Brooks- tore in from the far sideline and buried the ball when given half a sniff. Scored 3-14 from play and won by nine even though our top scorer Ben Brosnan was carrying an injury.

So, so proud. We have very good young lads coming through together, midfielders Rory Heffernan and Liam Coleman have all the tools to play county already despite being 20 and 19 respectively, Frank Roche is perhaps our best marker in defence and Brooks is a powerful runner when he gets the chance.

Funny story. Half-time in our quarter final vs. Horeswood in what is considered a cracking game, an ould lad who is regarded as a bit of a GAA buff cornered me. Programme in hand, he pointed out Masterson, Morris, O'Shaughnessy and Holmes saying you can't win championships with that number of old lads. I will make sure to mention that the next time I see him :D

Eleven heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Enjoyed reading that!

Don't be going for a cure now :-)

As for the Dublin games, Na Fianna/Boden was great game.

Unfortunately some of the incidents are taking away from that. Fianna threw it away. Looked great going forward but seemed to get the head staggers once they took a lead. Shambolic defending for the Basquel second goal.

As for MDM, he can be messy at times. Likes to leave the hand or arm into someone's face when ball is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Accidental, you can’t hide your hate for the man though. How’s the Kerry championship going?

Accidental? He checked his run and lifts his shoulder towards your mans head.

I don’t hate him, I just dislike dirty footballers.
    For balance I dislike Aidan o Mahoney immensely and love watching the likes of mannion play so it’s not subject to any real bias

As I said his behaviour was deplorable and hopefully a long ban follows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    In Cork Hurling the semi finals are

Glen Rovers v Carrigtwohill

Imokilly v St. Finbarr's

Glen Rovers and 3 in a row chasing Imokilly expected to make the final

In Football 2 QFs left

St. Finbarr's v Nemo Rangers

Duhallow v Clonakilty

Semi Finals

Duhallow / Clonakilty v Newcestown

St. Finbarr's / Nemo Rangers v Douglas

Duhallow would be expected to get to the finals whilst the other side of the draw is wide open

After yesterdays football semi finals

Senior Hurling Final

Imokilly v Glen Rovers

Senior Football Final

Nemo Rangers v Duhallow

Glen Rovers and Nemo Rangers will represent Cork in the Munster Club Championships as Imokilly and Duhallow are divisional sides

Would expect wins for Imokilly and Nemo Rangers

Hurling final is on the 20th and football final on 27th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Accidental? He checked his run and lifts his shoulder towards your mans head.

I don’t hate him, I just dislike dirty footballers.
    For balance I dislike Aidan o Mahoney immensely and love watching the likes of mannion play so it’s not subject to any real bias

As I said his behaviour was deplorable and hopefully a long ban follows

So, to make my point again. You dislike MDMA, but to justify it you add in AOM. Cheers. If you start a media campaign you might get a ban enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

EGxrCsYX4AAe9HS.jpg:large

Dingle V East Kerry the game of the round, East Kerry have already knocked out the two big Tralee Clubs and now take on Dingle who themselves have been going well,

Bit of needle coming into this game form last year as well so it should draw a big crowd

So, to make my point again. You dislike MDMA, but to justify it you add in AOM. Cheers. If you start a media campaign you might get a ban enforced.

Make your point again? You didn’t make a point in the first place

A media campaign? Your little persecution complex is cute.
    So if basquel gets a deliberate shoulder to the head in the semi final- I presume you’ll be fine with it

Make your point again? You didn’t make a point in the first place

A media campaign? Your little persecution complex is cute.
    So if basquel gets a deliberate shoulder to the head in the semi final- I presume you’ll be fine with it

I get it, you don't like MacAuley, your a Kerryman? I'd expect it. Crack on. I'm done, we both have opinions and they won't change.

EGxrCsYX4AAe9HS.jpg:large

Dingle V East Kerry the game of the round, East Kerry have already knocked out the two big Tralee Clubs and now take on Dingle who themselves have been going well,

Bit of needle coming into this game form last year as well so it should draw a big crowd

I’ve seen them both against Rahillys this year and would put East Kerry a bit ahead. I reckon EK by 3

Legion against Brendans should be high scoring and hopefully diarmuid o Connor will keep up his good run of form- club side should do it tho.

Kierans & Crokes to win the others

• Advertisement

I get it, you don't like MacAuley, your a Kerryman? I'd expect it. Crack on. I'm done, we both have opinions and they won't change.

Grand, for you shoulders in the face are a good thing? I’ll bear that in mind next time someone does a hatchet job on a dub/boden player

I’m more of a ‘protect the players from cheap shots’ kind of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Wow ArielAtom, there is loyalty and then there is just being downright silly, not even Macauley himself could possibly defend that having seen it back, a disgraceful and cowardly act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Please don't let yourself down and try to say that it was accidental.
    Or at least if you are saying that, at least put a smiley face to show us you are saying it tongue in cheek.

He is some niggley character. Leaving behind elbows and just annoying.

I'm amased at the amount of country folk who now have a big interest in the Dublin Championship. Great to see, keep tuned men, some more great football to be seen hopefully, potentially two great semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'm amased at the amount of country folk who now have a big interest in the Dublin Championship. Great to see, keep tuned men, some more great football to be seen hopefully, potentially two great semi-finals.

You're embarrassing yourself now lad, dig up for the love of god, dig up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Are you talking about country folk like Paul Durcan, Enda McNulty, Gabriel Cuddy and a whole host of others who have played through the years for Boden?

Are you talking about country folk like Paul Durcan, Enda McNulty, Gabriel Cuddy and a whole host of others who have played through the years for Boden?

No, I’m talking about the lads on here trying to score points. Please continue with the host of others. We are a welcoming club for all comers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No, I’m talking about the lads on here trying to score points. Please continue with the host of others. We are a welcoming club for all comers.

TBF I don't think the poster is trying to point score.

He's calling out foul play on the pitch and has made it clear he would do same irrespective of the player's county.

seligehgit wrote: »

He's calling out foul play on the pitch and has made it clear he would do same irrespective of the player's county.[/

Quote: Poor_old_gill
    When your star name is Michael, swinging elbows & late hits, Darragh- then what do you expect.

That might be so but the quote above says different to me. I’ll step out now as I respect your opinion.

seligehgit wrote: »

He's calling out foul play on the pitch and has made it clear he would do same irrespective of the player's county.[/

Quote: Poor_old_gill
    When your star name is Michael, swinging elbows & late hits, Darragh- then what do you expect.

That might be so but the quote above says different to me. I’ll step out now as I respect your opinion.

Who am I trying to score points against- I’ve already said I have nothing but disdain for players who go out of their way to intentionally injure others with late hits.

If you can’t condemn a deliberate shoulder to the head then I don’t really know what it is going on.

Your attempt to turn it into some culchies v the dubs argument has been idiotic as the lad he hit was a dub.

It has nothing to do with county or club- I dislike cheap shoots on the football pitch by anyone.

Fairly sure I was on here lambasting the Longford lad for his hit in the air on Cluxton last year - any intentional attempt to injure another player has to be condemned ffs

• Advertisement

I started a thread 2 years ago about how Cluxton should win player of the year and has been the most influential player of the last decade- I’m hardly an ardent anti- dub

I started a thread 2 years ago about how Cluxton should win player of the year and has been the most influential player of the last decade- I’m hardly an ardent anti- dub

POG, we both have strong opinions. I am 💯 with on deliberately going out to injure another. I know MDMA personally and while he is a big awkward fcuker, he is not malicious in any way. He goes for things and they look a hell of a lot worse. His coordination as seen when soloing is not the best. Apologies if I’ve offended you in anyway, was not my intention.

POG, we both have strong opinions. I am �� with on deliberately going out to injure another. I know MDMA personally and while he is a big awkward fcuker, he is not malicious in any way. He goes for things and they look a hell of a lot worse. His coordination as seen when soloing is not the best. Apologies if I’ve offended you in anyway, was not my intention.

Look we all have our opinions and we arent going to agree on this - nor should we have to.

Enjoy the semi final - I make your boys favourites at this stage as I just think Kilmacud are beatable, Judes lack the firepower and my boys (the Vinnies) are gone.

Look we all have our opinions and we arent going to agree on this - nor should we have to.

Enjoy the semi final - I make your boys favourites at this stage as I just think Kilmacud are beatable, Judes lack the firepower and my boys (the Vinnies) are gone.

I’d fear Judes, we’ll organised. If we manage to get by them you never know. Anyway minor is where it’s at😉 You’ve Crokes in the hurling semi.

I’d fear Judes, we’ll organised. If we manage to get by them you never know. Anyway minor is where it’s at�� You’ve Crokes in the hurling semi.

The big disappointment for this year was the minor footballers - there is some talent there but they had a lot of injuries going into the championship.

A few of them will need to come through to replenish the stocks

To paraphrase Eamonn Dunphy, you are a good anti Dub, not a great one :)

I'm disappointed Fianna are gone. Like the way they play and would have been interesting match up for Crokes, and potentially good representatives of county.

Hard to call now, but will be some interesting semis.

Regarding Davis, I see some people still fighting the battle over them having been demoted, Well, perhaps the real point is that they made the most of their situation and picked themselves up again. 32 team SFC was a farce. It was good move to ditch it. Standard of games way up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Championships all done and dusted in Tyrone

Trillick overcame Errigal Ciaran in a poor Senior Final. But best team won. They have been impressive all year and hopefully will give Ulster a good go. Trillick won 0-12 to 2-4. Errigal first goal was an awful mistake by Trillick goalkeeper and With Errigal getting a late Peter Harte penalty to make the scoreline somewhat respectable. They had only scored 4 times ( 1-3 ) up to the last few minutes. Darragh Canavan didn't start as was injured, and only played last 20 minutes. So was a big loss. Errigal did not turn up at all and were very poor.

Trillick however fully deserved it and by beating Dromore (huge local derby), Coalisland (holders), Clonoe (2 titles this decade) and Errigal (3 finals this decade, 1 win ) was a tough championship campaign.
    They should be well set up for Ulster, with the Mattie and Richie Donnelly, Rory and Lee Brennan all playing well they are strong. Mattie Donnelly in particular almost unmarkable in Tyrone club scene. Rory Brennan completely nullified Peter Harte and was very good attacking as well.

Intermediate Champions Galbally beat Pomeroy in the final. They were unbeaten all year up to this weekend when they lost a league game to Loughmacrory when 12 points up at one stage. Let in 5 goals in the second half. But they have their championship won. I would definitely give them a great chance in Ulster Imtermediate, can't say I know anything about the other county winners but Galbally are strong and should be well fit for senior football in Tyrone next year.

Junior champions again are Rock St. Patricks. Winners in 2016, and went on to All Ireland Junior final getting beat by Glenbeigh Glencar. Also won it in 2014 going on to win Ulster as well, beaten by Brosna ( Kerry ) in a replay in All Ireland Semi-Final. They also reached All Ireland junior final in 2008.
    Bit of a yoyo club going up and down between Junior and Intermediate in Tyrone, bit of a myth going around that it is by choice. But they have experience and will be looking at Ulster and All Ireland as a reasonable target. Not that long ago they lost a playoff in Tyrone to go into senior football.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    To paraphrase Eamonn Dunphy, you are a good anti Dub, not a great one :)

I want to see Dublin beaten, that’s reasonable enough and to be expected!

I gladly praise Cluxton as probably the most influential of all time, mannion, mccaffrey, howard et al.

Always praised Bernard as a great forward and out him up there with Gooch while I think Connolly was hounded out of the game due to cheap shots off the ball and weak refs!

On the Connolly thing- I think it’s a genuine stain on the game that he, like other skillful forwards, was not protected adequately by refs and nothing frustrates me more than seeing lads like him dragged into sh*te and then seeing the ref not punish the instigator.

I’ve no prob trying to be some bit balanced when possible but sure it’s impossible when they are playing Kerry!

In those instances I’ll be 100% biased cos, well, I’m 100% biased! I want Kerry to win every match, against whoever in any way possible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'm here!

What a great day. We really shot the lights out up front. James Holmes, all 38 years of him, destroyed their wing-back and scored six from play. Johnno Bealin scored a cracking second goal and that no.20 you refer to is Robbie Brooks- tore in from the far sideline and buried the ball when given half a sniff. Scored 3-14 from play and won by nine even though our top scorer Ben Brosnan was carrying an injury.

Eleven heaven

Ye can’t beat breeding!

Advertisement