Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live TV games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

in football no, still matter in hurling. Can't understand how people expect every game to be televised. if you want to see it then go to it

Like I did today for FER-ARM and might do for DOW-ANT next Saturday... As so many others I'm sure will manage to go to games that they can get to.

Still no excuse for TYR-MON not being on TV tbf.

Is it even on iPlayer at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

No, it isn't.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    No, it isn't.

Yup.

This answers that.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/gaelic-games/44006107

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    AFAIK issue is that GAA only allow x amount of Championship games to be shown live. So increasing number of hurling matches in 'Leinster' and Munster plus Super 8s in football means broadcasters have to choose.

There is also an agreement, iirc, which means RT#4242;‰ and Sky cannot show different games at the same time. There was an accommodation (last year?) where there was an exception made.

Aside from Tyrone v Monaghan, Cork v Tipperary would be good to see.

And, if Mayo draw Tyrone/Monaghan in Rd 1 of the Qualifiers, nobody is scheduled to show it.

Question is, if RTE and Sky were allowed, would they show more live games?

Are you serious?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Like I did today for FER-ARM and might do for DOW-ANT next Saturday... As so many others I'm sure will manage to go to games that they can get to.

Still no excuse for TYR-MON not being on TV tbf.

Just deferred coverage on BBC2NI again. I couldn't get a stream up earlier, I'm too ill to attend. A shame that only the 6 counties could get the streams from BBC iPlayer. Was impossible to get one and I'm from Ulster and not far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Are you serious?

Aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Are you serious?

It’s a valid question. GAA aren’t going to give the games away for free. Would the broadcasters be willing to stump up extra?

RTE have always maintained in public that they are happy with the amount of games they have. They don’t bid against Sky for the 14 games so that’s also a good indicator that they’re happy with their lot.

In terms of this weekend they could have shown Tyrone v Monaghan if they wanted to. They chose not to.

What extra games would they want? Bear in mind that they’re not going to be able to show other games when there is already a game on tv.

Joe Dog wrote: »
    This is exactly what the GAA want, the lack of coverage of the provincial championships is an attempt to downgrade their importance so they can finally get rid of them.If people just get used to the idea of the provincial championships not being on TV and being less important they won't mind it so much when they disappear altogether and the provincial councils will lose leverage.
    That may be true, however the Ulster council haven't helped themselves by raising the ticket prices to joke levels. €30 into the stand and rising to €40 for some games. €20 terrace. Charging kids into games. People don't have the money in many areas and many families especially. 8,421 in Enniskillen today and Donegal v Cavan 9,612 are very disappointing figures especially considering neither were televised and all 4 are in the top 2 divisions next year. They tried to raise prices and bet that the games not being televised would help attendance, lets put that to bed once and for all.

howiya wrote: »
    It’s a valid question. GAA aren’t going to give the games away for free. Would the broadcasters be willing to stump up extra?

RTE have always maintained in public that they are happy with the amount of games they have. They don’t bid against Sky for the 14 games so that’s also a good indicator that they’re happy with their lot.

In terms of this weekend they could have shown Tyrone v Monaghan if they wanted to. They chose not to.

What extra games would they want? Bear in mind that they’re not going to be able to show other games when there is already a game on tv.

Sky would take more. Depending on the agreement/price, I've no doubt BBCNI, Eir Sport and TG4 would take games if the circumstances were right. I wonder how their GAA budgets compares with RTE, not like RTE spend a massive amount throughout the year or do anything barring the same tired Sunday Game and 1-2 games for 3 months of the year.

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Just deferred coverage on BBC2NI again. I couldn't get a stream up earlier, I'm too ill to attend. A shame that only the 6 counties could get the streams from BBC iPlayer. Was impossible to get one and I'm from Ulster and not far away.

Yeah. I saw it was deferred.

An Armagh friend of mine was in Mayo for the weekend with his better half and he managed to get a VPN working for it.

BBC's coverage is as pathetic as always. I mean showing highlights is one thing, but having deferred coverage means they have all the trappings of live coverage without the "live" aspect.

And priority of coverage will always go to "all six county" games generally it seems.

Anyway, guess we'll have to suck up the deferred coverage.

---

On the ticket price thing, I paid £17 for the stand today but that was student price. I couldn't believe the full prices when I saw them during the week. It did make me think twice about heading to it and there was only a consideration of me and the missus. There was a whole family from Armagh behind me today and they were paying upwards of £70. Ridiculous for a first round Ulster game. But tbh, even with reduced prices I couldn't see it being a much bigger crowd today.

Both teams are division 3 (I know I know, but you get me), so it's not shocking. Different story with Healy Park tomorrow being sold out as well with the following SF between them and Fermanagh.

Tickets for Páirc Esler next week will be too expensive no matter what they charge. :)

• Advertisement

Sky would take more. Depending on the agreement/price, I've no doubt BBCNI, Eir Sport and TG4 would take games if the circumstances were right. I wonder how their GAA budgets compares with RTE, not like RTE spend a massive amount throughout the year or do anything barring the same tired Sunday Game and 1-2 games for 3 months of the year.

BBC NI wouldn't take more. They're just only ever gonna give their lip service to Championship. I mean they've Irish Cups and the NW500 to cover too.

Have a look at TG4's financials. There's no way on earth they could afford to pay market price for live championship games.

Eir Sport didn't bid for the rights to the championship when the rights came up. Eir already sponsor the football championship so they're probably happy enough.

BBCNI lost out under the exclusivity arrangements when Sky came on board.

If any of the companies you have mentioned wanted to show extra games they had the opportunity and didn't take it.

Just thinking about this again this morning. It'd have been interesting to see if Tyrone v Monaghan had been the game fixed for last night would it have been shown live.

It also demonstrates that we haven't yet gone down the EPL (and other sports) route of setting fixtures to suit TV schedules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

You're missing the point. If the game was scheduled for 7pm on Saturday as opposed to a Sunday afternoon it changes the make up of what Sky can pick.

RTE obviously decided they wanted to show Munster hurling instead. Sky can't pick it at its current Sunday throw in time because it would compete with RTE's coverage.

If the game was a Saturday Sky could have picked it.

Patww79 wrote: »

They would have to drop a game but not necessarily a football quarter final. Here's the list;

http://www.skysports.com/gaa/hurling/news/30543/11363682/sky-sports-reveals-2018-gaa-championship-fixtures

The point is they never had the option to pick it because of the date of the fixture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd say with RTÉ only having 2 channels that they wouldn't be too interested in having more games, maybe they'd look to get more on their online platform. Sky have a load of channels that they'd have no problem in putting live games on, 1 of their channels was just showing eWorld Cup, that's lads playing FIFA. Saying that, my understanding is the GAA are prioritising getting people to go to games rather than having games on TV and that their priorities are Players, Spectators and TV viewers (in that order).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

howiya wrote: »
    Have a look at TG4's financials. There's no way on earth they could afford to pay market price for live championship games.

Eir Sport didn't bid for the rights to the championship when the rights came up. Eir already sponsor the football championship so they're probably happy enough.

BBCNI lost out under the exclusivity arrangements when Sky came on board.

If any of the companies you have mentioned wanted to show extra games they had the opportunity and didn't take it.

One very easy solution to that. Increase their budget. Slash the ridiculous salaries that most of RTE are on & back up the dump truck to TG4 with the dosh. The News is always going to be the bloody news. The Late Late is always going to be a pale reflection of what it once was. Ray D'Arcy, the voice of a nation? Spare me !

We the taxpayer/idiot license payer, shouldn't be handing over millions every year to people who perform a fairly limited function & don't perform it all that well. If they don't like it, too bad.

This isn't the UK or the USA. It's not like there is a vast, unchartered media landscape out there & RTE have to get out the golden handcuffs to make sure their "stars" aren't ever tempted to go off & explore it. The world didn't shift on its axis when Pat Kenny headed off to Newstalk, or Ian Dempsey to Today FM. I think I can survive the grief, if a few more of them depart for pastures new.

TG4 are a national treasure & they should have the respect - and the funding - that goes with it.

Ok. Rant over. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I saw it was deferred.

An Armagh friend of mine was in Mayo for the weekend with his better half and he managed to get a VPN working for it.

BBC's coverage is as pathetic as always. I mean showing highlights is one thing, but having deferred coverage means they have all the trappings of live coverage without the "live" aspect.

And priority of coverage will always go to "all six county" games generally it seems.

Anyway, guess we'll have to suck up the deferred coverage.

---

On the ticket price thing, I paid £17 for the stand today but that was student price. I couldn't believe the full prices when I saw them during the week. It did make me think twice about heading to it and there was only a consideration of me and the missus. There was a whole family from Armagh behind me today and they were paying upwards of £70. Ridiculous for a first round Ulster game. But tbh, even with reduced prices I couldn't see it being a much bigger crowd today.

Both teams are division 3 (I know I know, but you get me), so it's not shocking. Different story with Healy Park tomorrow being sold out as well with the following SF between them and Fermanagh.

Tickets for Páirc Esler next week will be too expensive no matter what they charge. :)

Yeah I'm being a bit harsh on the crowd in Enniskillen but it was a poor crowd in Donegal. Yep, the ticket prices are ridiculous especially for families. In a lot of areas people probably have less income than 2008 so why increasing the prices from there is a bit of an odd one. Then again Ulster Council don't have a hurling championship to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Four good games today. I suppose they can't cover them all. Left down for lift to Wexford so it's the wireless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jaysus. Niall Moran is a doppleganger for Wallace (& Gromit).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Is Tyrone v Monaghan live on RTE today?

So here's the suss with the BBC and the like:
    At present, BBCNI are locked into an arrangement with RTÉ whereby they pay them for rights, while also providing the live camera feed for Ulster matches.

Last year, RTÉ screened seven Ulster championship games, with six in 2016 and five in 2015. With the advent of the condensed championship season, RTÉ have decided a number of games in the Munster and Leinster hurling Championships may be a more attractive proposition.

Negotiations are reported to be ongoing but it is highly likely the only games available to watch on BBCNI will be one Ulster semi-final and the final, a huge drop from previous years when it was the norm for seven out of eight games to be shown live on BBCNI.

This is only the second year of a five-year rights arrangement, with BBCNI appearing to be squeezed out by the new championship structures in football and hurling.

Ulster Council spokesman Michael Geoghegan stated, “There are negotiations going on between BBC and RTÉ as to what they are actually going to show. I know RTÉ are only going to be showing two games in Ulster. It’s really a matter between them as to what they are going to show and it is still ongoing.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bbc-ni-to-lose-most-of-their-ulster-championship-games-1.3471757

tanko wrote: »
    Is Tyrone v Monaghan live on RTE today?

Deferred coverage on BBC2 tonight at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

I have questions about this.

Where has this obsession for having every game on TV ceom from?

I seen quite a lot of people complaining that the New York and Letriem wasn't on TV. New York have been playing in the championship for 20 years ans their games have never been on TV. Why now is it an issue?

That game and the Laois Wexford game are another example. People saying after the fact that they should have been on TV when they knew he games were good. Yet had the Laois Wexford game been poor the same people would be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

I would imagine the real reason they aren't on is because not many people want to watch them. Is that too simple?

• Advertisement

Advertisement