Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trouble on Tory Island...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Nobody is telling them they need to move to Dublin. They are threatening it.
    If we don’t let them decide who drives their boat and how much we spend on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I know that the return fare to Tory on the ferry is €26.

If the island gets 70,000 visitors during the season, approx March - October, then that would mean that the takings would be €1,820,000.

That figure is an approximation, but it must be taking in at least 1.5 million a year.

How much can the running costs be when you consider insurance, diesel, staff, maintenance?

It does provide a living for a number of people in an area where there is very little employment.

I know that the return fare to Tory on the ferry is €26.

If the island gets 70,000 visitors during the season, approx March - October, then that would mean that the takings would be €1,820,000.

That figure is an approximation, but it must be taking in at least 1.5 million a year.

How much can the running costs be when you consider insurance, diesel, staff, maintenance?

It does provide a living for a number of people in an area where there is very little employment.

Dublin bus travels x amount of people that generates x amount of money surely I should get brought to town on a unicorn.
    Whilst a bit snarky that’s what I’m hearing from the islanders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Nobody is telling them they need to move to Dublin. They are threatening it.
    If we don’t let them decide who drives their boat and how much we spend on it.

What's this "we" and "them" crap ?

Dublin bus travels x amount of people that generates x amount of money surely I should get brought to town on a unicorn.
    Whilst a bit snarky that’s what I’m hearing from the islanders.

Its a good boat, but its no unicorn. The Aran Island ferry is a Rolls Royce by comparison.

Aran Island unicorn

Tory Island work-horse

• Advertisement

Its a good boat, but its no unicorn. The Aran Island ferry is a Rolls Royce by comparison.

Aran Island unicorn

Tory Island work-horse

But the Aran islands is the Aran islands. I only heard about Tory island when they started banging on about a boat last year. One of its tourist attractions is a washed up torpedo and a stone that if you stand on it you can make a wish.

Is it about island rivalry or who gets to drive the boat?

But the Aran islands is the Aran islands. I only heard about Tory island when they started banging on about a boat last year. One of its tourist attractions is a washed up torpedo and a stone that if you stand on it you can make a wish.

sounds like more about hatred of anyone outside your preferred areas of Ireland

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    sounds like more about hatred of anyone outside your preferred areas of Ireland

No hatred I just don’t want our politicians passing out boats to anyone that marches down to Leinster house. I have no other feelings or interest in the islanders up until now. Very few people do.
    If there is any islander irelander rivalry it’s spinning around people’s heads on the island.
    The little island beside Howth runs trips from the mainland and it’s a little dinghy. Should they get an Aran islands cruiser now too?

you should take a trip over if you get a chance, there is more to see on Tory than people think.

the-cliffs-of-dun-balair-tory-island-co-donegal-ireland-C2KWHE.jpg

10322543_568420499939082_6627911227107543538_n1.jpg?w=620

tory-island-co-donegal-ireland-ankbm6.jpg

It looks beautiful but still no cruiser. Is the hotel and the pub the only businesses on the island?

• Advertisement

No hatred I just don’t want our politicians passing out boats to anyone that marches down to Leinster house. I have no other feelings or interest in the islanders up until now. Very few people do.
    If there is any islander irelander rivalry it’s spinning around people’s heads on the island.
    The little island beside Howth runs trips from the mainland and it’s a little dinghy. Should they get an Aran islands cruiser now too?

So you openly admit know nothing of the people or the Island or the situation, you've just decided that the ferry service that has been provided for years should be downgraded to a substandard worn out vessel, so the contractor that owns it can make a fast buck while fleecing the taxpayer, and because you prefer them to have a rubber dingy like Howth island has ? This Island is 9 miles off the coast in some of the roughest waters in the world, in a county that National Geographic magazine named as the 'coolest place on the planet' for 2017, and it gets 70,000 visitors and tourists a year. I think you really need to get out more from your suburban teenage bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

you should take a trip over if you get a chance, there is more to see on Tory than people think.

So why don't they start a marketing campaign to bring in more visitors and make it more economically viable to have a nice new shiny boat?

Actually, has anyone so far actually seen any arguments as to what is wrong with the boat that has got the tender beyond that it's old? Or is this really just a case of 'we liked the guy that was running the ferry and we don't like the new guy and we need an excuse to protest'?

Just asking as I haven't seen anything mentioned with regards to the boat that's now supposed to be the ferry being less able to deal with inclement weather, having fewer safety features, navigation or communications equipment or anything.

I would have thought that if there were genuine concerns beyond 'it's old' that they would have been mentioned somewhere along the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

should be downgrade to a substandard worn out vessel

How do we know it's substandard and worn out? From what I gather it's a 70's vessel that's just had a major overhaul?

If that is the case then for all intents and purposes it may well be as good as new?

It looks beautiful but still no cruiser. Is the hotel and the pub the only businesses on the island?

There is a shop and a gallery where the work of the Tory Island painters can be seen. The Tory Island painters are a group of local people who started painting when English artist, Derek Hill set up a small painting studio on the island. He used to stay out there regularly. Their paintings are known internationally, there are about 5 who were well known. The best known of them is the King of the Island, Patsy Dan Rogers.

Tory Island painters

One of the older painters, James Dixon died in 1970, some of his paintings are now are worth a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

the-cliffs-of-dun-balair-tory-island-co-donegal-ireland-C2KWHE.jpg

10322543_568420499939082_6627911227107543538_n1.jpg?w=620

tory-island-co-donegal-ireland-ankbm6.jpg

OK I've the whole island seen now...:pac:

So you openly admit know nothing of the people or the Island or the situation, you've just decided that the ferry service that has been provided for years should be downgraded to a substandard worn out vessel, so the contractor that owns it can make a fast buck while fleecing the taxpayer, and because you prefer them to have a rubber dingy like Howth island has ? This Island is 9 miles off the coast in some of the roughest waters in the world, in a county that National Geographic magazine named as the 'coolest place on the planet' for 2017, and it gets 70,000 visitors and tourists a year. I think you really need to get out more from your suburban teenage bedroom.

Again ,you seem to think I want them to have a rubber dinghy now, the boat they have is fine I don’t want the boat taken away for a bigger one or a smaller one.
    If aran islands got a bridge would you be here demanding your bridge?

wexie wrote: »
    How do we know it's substandard and worn out? From what I gather it's a 70's vessel that's just had a major overhaul?

If that is the case then for all intents and purposes it may well be as good as new?

Firstly it's size, capacity and ability the first day it was made isn't suitable those waters and that type of ferry service, never mind some clapped out 40+ year old boat that's been 'refurbished' in a cute hoor move to fleece the taxpayer, beat the honest operators and vessels that tendered, and 'win' the contract and fleecing the taxpayer. The only winner is the owner of this bucket, everyone else, especially the taxpayer is getting screwed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

511 wrote: »
    They also built a dual carriage way to bypass Tuam which has a population of almost 9,000. The government are also building a bridge to bypass New Ross, with its population of 5,000.

It is a possibility that you do not understand the economics behind these bypasses. The last time you were in New Ross you might have noticed the massive traffic jams throughout the day and wondered how much it was costing companies and the country in general; not to mention the pollution and other side effects caused by these bottlenecks.

Again ,you seem to think I want them to have a rubber dinghy now, the boat they have is fine I don’t want the boat taken away for a bigger one or a smaller one.
    If aran islands got a bridge would you be here demanding your bridge?

whose's suggesting a brige anywhere, get real. what's this 'we' 'them' and 'your' crap, fyi I'm from outside Dublin. Where someone happens to be from should have no bearing on this.

whose's suggesting a brige anywhere, get real. what's this 'we' 'them' and 'your' crap, I'm from outside Dublin. Where someone happens to be from should have no bearing on this.

We are the people that that don’t want a boat them are the people that do.

• Advertisement

We are the people that that don’t want a boat them are the people that do.

How do people get to the Island if there is no boat, who's this 'we' and why do you claim to represent other posters , you don't represent anyone here other than yourself.

who's this 'we' and why do you claim to represent other posters , you don't represent anyone here other than yourself.

I never said I do. You are very confrontational.

I never said I do. You are very confrontational.

I'm not the one trying to deny people a safe decent ferry service simply because I'm not from their area.

I'm not the one trying to deny people a safe decent ferry service simply because I'm not from their area.

The boat is safe if it wasn’t some government body would seize it and the same people would be complaining about the nanny state cutting off their trips to the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You're statement that the boat is "worn out" and your implications that the boat is unsafe are unfounded, unless you have evidence to back that up?

There is plenty fishing vessels still going strong that are as old, and even older than that ferry and they go through a lot more hardship than any passenger vessel.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You're statement that the boat is "worn out" and your implications that the boat is unsafe are unfounded, unless you have evidence to back that up?

There is plenty fishing vessels still going strong that are as old, and even older than that ferry and they go through a lot more hardship than any passenger vessel.

Passenger ferry's must be of a much higher standard than fishing vessels, if you don't know even that, or the waters involved and how fishing vessels struggle in them, then I'm not sure why your even posting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

There is a "Club" that stays open late bar and sells light snacks and a Post Office that doubles as the only shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Passenger ferry's must be of a much higher standard than fishing vessels, if you don't know even that, or the waters involved and how fishing vessels struggle in them, then I'm not sure why your even posting ?

Well it's a public forum so im free to post if I wish, and I do know what im talking about. So if a passager vessel has to be of a much higher standard than a fishing vessel and this new ferry has completed a survey then what's the problem?

Instead of having a go why don't you back up your baseless arguments?

So when you say it’s not seaworthy then say it’s good enough to be passed fit for a passenger boat which as you say is a much higher standard than a fishing vessel what do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

When are you going to tell us why the vessel is clapped out?
    Could you furnish the report from you in depth survey?
    So you survey many boats in a week?
    Please don't tell me your assessment of "clapped out" and "ripping off the taxpayer" is based on the age of the boat and a photograph posted in the internet??

Advertisement