Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Crokes and Nemo down in páirc ui rinn, tossed a coin. Could be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Crokes and Nemo down in páirc ui rinn, tossed a coin. Could be a cracker.

Crokes by 6 or 7 points I reckon.

Nemo aren't great, the standard of club football in Cork is poor at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I think a lot will depend in the condition of the pitch. PUR seems to cut up poorly enough in winter. Nemo more physical than Crokes, but Crokes will still win by 3-4 points I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Same As wrote: »
    I think a lot will depend in the condition of the pitch. PUR seems to cut up poorly enough in winter. Nemo more physical than Crokes, but Crokes will still win by 3-4 points I reckon.

Jeez I would in no way agree with that- Crokes are well able to mix it physically.

I think they will beat Nemo by 6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Good luck to Bryan Sheehan on his retirement from Intercounty Football.

A great servant and managed to reinvent himself late in career as a midfielder, but the game has moved on.

Kicked some special scores over the years. The score to seal the League Final this year was a great score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Good luck to Bryan Sheehan on his retirement from Intercounty Football.

A great servant and managed to reinvent himself late in career as a midfielder, but the game has moved on.

Kicked some special scores over the years. The score to seal the League Final this year was a great score.

Again this helps Fitzmaurice as he now has to fill that spot on the bench that had been Sheehan's with someone new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Legion awarded the east Kerry semi final over crokes after they refused to play the fixture at the weekend.

I'm far from a crokes fan but you'd think the local board would help them and postpone the fixture when they have a massive munster club match this weekend

dobman88 wrote: »
    Legion awarded the east Kerry semi final over crokes after they refused to play the fixture at the weekend.

I'm far from a crokes fan but you'd think the local board would help them and postpone the fixture when they have a massive munster club match this weekend

Legion now in the final without playing a single game. Other two games were walkover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sad state of affairs for a historically enjoyable competition

Pairc ui Rinn is supposed to be in poor condition for the weekend, lot of rain due to fall also. Would still fancy Crokes by a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

D'Agger wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs for a historically enjoyable competition

Pairc ui Rinn is supposed to be in poor condition for the weekend, lot of rain due to fall also. Would still fancy Crokes by a few points.

You wonder what hurry the East Kerry Board are in - also Crokes v Legion would have very likely been a ding-dong game, had been looking forward to going along to that at the weekend. I was talking to someone who was at the Gneeveguilla Rathmore semi-final game and he said that Rathmore were missing about 6 starters in that game ( Paul Murphy was and will be in Oz/Far East for a few weeks yet and they had a number of players on the injured list) so I'd be sure Rathmore are in no rush to play the final.

• Advertisement

The East Kerry Board would not be the Crokes biggest fans so they'd love any opportunity to get a dig in.

In other EK matters, the Crokes - Fossa Minor final should be a cracker - set for 2nd December

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is not ideal either way. There is another angle I often think it is unfair on teams where one team is holding up a competition as they are involved in another competition. It is tough on the team/ teams waiting whereby they have to keep training with no games while the other team can play away and it is easy for them to keep players fit and focused.

Slava Ukrainii

Crokes have 3 full teams on the go. It's a pity they couldn't pick a combination of those players and fulfilled the fixture at least. Not fair on Legion to be waiting around all year for the Crokes either.

However the Club Championship is an important competition, and the East Kerry board could have made an exception.

No winners out of this, even Legion who play the final with no games played.

By all accounts, Crokes players were happy to play. Decision was taken by management/'executive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

SK board made an allowance for Dromid and have done so in the past for other clubs, I'm not sure why the EK board couldn't do the same for Crokes. At this stage of the year, another 2 weeks isn't going to make any difference to players anyway. Legion in a final without kicking a ball? Even if they win, what good is it to them, its kinda devalued now as it is. Btw when did they last win an EK title?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Crokes have 3 full teams on the go. It's a pity they couldn't pick a combination of those players and fulfilled the fixture at least. Not fair on Legion to be waiting around all year for the Crokes either.

However the Club Championship is an important competition, and the East Kerry board could have made an exception.

No winners out of this, even Legion who play the final with no games played.

Ya the B team has will be playing Division Three football next year,they have some talented young players coming through,surely as you said a mix of the teams would have given the Legion a rattle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

From that POV then Crokes are entitled to stand their ground and say we want to play a full team in that competition.

Both sides were probably in a position where not backing down was justified.

Match being played with a Crokes B team would be preferable to no match in the end obviously.

Im sure Legion would have preferred a game. Considering how delayed it has got anyway its a pity Firies were put out. They would have had plenty time to play Legion since the county junior final

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im sure Legion would have preferred a game. Considering how delayed it has got anyway its a pity Firies were put out. They would have had plenty time to play Legion since the county junior final

why were Firies put out?

Benildus wrote: »
    why were Firies put out?

For refusing to play Legion a week before their county final against Dromid. Or so the story goes anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

wonga77 wrote: »
    For refusing to play Legion a week before their county final against Dromid. Or so the story goes anyway

Yup that's what I heard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

keane2097 wrote: »
    From that POV then Crokes are entitled to stand their ground and say we want to play a full team in that competition.

Both sides were probably in a position where not backing down was justified.

Match being played with a Crokes B team would be preferable to no match in the end obviously.

The problem allowing team/ clubs dictating when games are played is that competitions drag on. You then have team managers that want to control when and if players play. Managers seem to have a mortal fear of a player getting injured in a match like this but it can happen at training as well.

In Crokes case surly they could have fielded a strong team with players outside the starting 15 and players from other panels. As well every manager knows who is injury prone and who is not.

It us the same with county management having extended panels all year long. Players not involved in matches or on match day panels should be released to play with clubs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The problem allowing team/ clubs dictating when games are played is that competitions drag on. You then have team managers that want to control when and if players play. Managers seem to have a mortal fear of a player getting injured in a match like this but it can happen at training as well.

In Crokes case surly they could have fielded a strong team with players outside the starting 15 and players from other panels. As well every manager knows who is injury prone and who is not.

It us the same with county management having extended panels all year long. Players not involved in matches or on match day panels should be released to play with clubs

I totally agree that Crokes or other clubs shouldn't be allowed to dictate competition schedules, totally agree that Crokes could have fielded a team that would be at the very least competitive and totally agree that club and county management often act the maggot with regard to player availability.

Having said that, I think it's easy to argue from Crokes POV that they want to play their best team in this competition. It's fairly reasonable not to want to pick a full team a week before playing Nemo in a Munster final. Then I think it's fair enough for them not to back down either by fielding a second team.

It's an open question whether not picking guys a week before a game because you're worried about them getting injured is totally reasonable admittedly.

If it was Strand Road I'd be saying **** the district match, but then again we wouldn't have a panel to fulfill the fixture without our first team.

keane2097 wrote:
    If it was Strand Road I'd be saying **** the district match, but then again we wouldn't have a panel to fulfill the fixture without our first team.

Don't worry, Strand Road haven't a hope of being in this position! ;)

Are Crokes entering a C team in division 5 next year? I had heard before that if their B team got to division 3 then they would be eligible to put another team into 5. Or that might have just been rumours.
    Either way, there's not many teams in the county that could put out a second string side as strong as them, they have serious numbers to pick from

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

East Kerry Board should just copy the North Kerry Board

Go with the flow and have a bumper crowd at the the final at Xmas time

Even though this years North Kerry Final is down to be played the 10th of December so that is early for them :D

Semi Finals are

Ballyduff V Listowel Emmets

Brosna V Ballydonoghue who drew last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I have limited sympathy for Crokes here when they can field a 2nd team (including players who have played at county level) that can get out of division 4. The O'Donoghue cup is a sideshow for them compared to Munster and AI Club, why not put out the 2nd team and be done with it?

It's late enough in the year as it is so I agree with East Kerry board pushing on here. Can't hold competition up for 3 weeks for Crokes in this situation.

I suppose the EK board have to keep some consistency with their decisions given the precedent set for Firies etc and to not be seen as giving different strokes for different folks.

As an aside, 14 of their starting 15 vs Clonmel have played inter-county (minor, u21 or senior) at some level for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Even though this years North Kerry Final is down to be played the 10th of December so that is early for them :D

Semi Finals are

Don't worry, a few draws and a few waterlogged pitches and it will be played some afternoon between Christmas and New Year with as you say a bumper crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Semi Finals are

North Kerry championship games are being streamed live on youtube these days...truly a marvellous age we live in!

Advertisement