Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Games using surround sound?

• 27-06-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    After years being packed away, my surround sound system will break free and get its rightful place in my new sitting room. I've a couple of movies I know that will take advantage of this but I'd like to try some games that use it well.

Any suggestions for console games that use surround sound well?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Pretty much everything uses surround sound at this stage I think - with varying degrees of success I guess. Racing games tend to make good use of it as do FPS'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I think everything is in surround now.
    I'm not sure of the methods of getting things into the amp though, presumably some sort of HDMI passthrough?

I remember getting a Dolby Prologic receiver back in the day, plugging the 3DO into it and playing Need for Speed in surround for the first time, simply brilliant.
    Also, the only copy of FIFA I have ever bought new, for the 3DO again, and in surround it was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Some surround sets like the Logitech z5500s use optical

• Registered Users Posts: 81,622 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Left4Dead2 makes incredibly powerful use of surround sound. With 7.1 surround sound headphones in a 4v4 match, and a shotgun? Well, I am God, and I can shoot a Smoker in the face without ever seeing him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a fancy shmancy AV cable for the original Xbox with an optical cable built in.
    Now I know what it's for!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a fancy shmancy AV cable for the original Xbox with an optical cable built in.
    Now I know what it's for!

Yeah, optical is still quite common, HDMI outdated it but new satellite boxes still come with optical as well as outputting to HDMI. It's harder finds surround amps with optical in these days though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I seem to recall Bioshock having some pretty great sound implementation.

Arma has amazing sound in the game and even had positional audio in comms with a plugin, I could tell which direction my mates were in mumble. Then there's the mods for realistic sounds

Doom 3 is worth a play too, I remember being amazed at the audio more so than the visuals.

I seem to remember playing Doom on the PS via Prologic and it was great, a really creepy sound mix, growls and babies crying, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dead Space
    Dead Space
    Dead Space

sounds utterly amazing

• Advertisement
Advertisement