Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trouble on Tory Island...

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I see Tormór is up for sale, ad in this months Marine Times.
    another one ''whispering dawn '' for sale on find a fishing boat . fine aquastar but id say the props and rudder are a nightmare for getting fouled . Right chance for an alternative ferry service . They would get to choose their own sailing times and crew

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Radio documentary about Tory now on RTE1.

Some English geezer visiting his pal the King.

Think it's repeated at teatime on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When I saw this it was listed underneath a thread about 'the advantages of Brexit...'

In my head I assumed 'Trouble on Tory Island' was more comment about Brexit :o

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Sad to hear the King is ill. He's some character.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Radio documentary about Tory now on RTE1.

Some English geezer visiting his pal the King.

Think it's repeated at teatime on Sundays.

Kieran Devaney is not English. I know him well.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Kieran Devaney is not English. I know him well.
    English-accented then.

Apologies to the man, I missed the intro and made a lazy assumption.

Sorry if my last post came across as arrogant, Heidi.

Kieran was born to Irish parents in liverpool and holds an Irish passport. An absolute gent unfortunately not in great health at the moment either.

Sorry if my last post came across as arrogant, Heidi.

Kieran was born to Irish parents in liverpool and holds an Irish passport. An absolute gent unfortunately not in great health at the moment either.
    So I gathered from the end of the docu. Sad finish to it all really.

Sound like the end of an era approaching.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’ve never been to Tory island but I’ve always wanted to visit for a few days.

From what I’ve heard about the place it seems a bit like the film The Wicker Man.

https://twitter.com/ciarankellyfoto/status/1032703880558243840

Interesting bit of trivia!

Queen of Aran doing two trips daily and going off to bed off Inisboffin every evening.

I still haven't managed a trip out, think I might have missed my chance for this year!

Recently saw her taking an unusual route out from the pier, east of the three islands and across the sandbar between the end of Magheraroarty beach and Inisboffin ..... I wonder what was behind that? (I didn't think she'd even fit over the sandbar :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Recently saw her taking an unusual route out from the pier, east of the three islands and across the sandbar between the end of Magheraroarty beach and Inisboffin ..... I wonder what was behind that? (I didn't think she'd even fit over the sandbar :eek:)
    All to do with the tides / water depth

muffler wrote: »
    All to do with the tides / water depth
    I've never seen the ferry take that route though - it always goes west of the inner islands, which is clear water the whole way, and the more direct route.

I've seen the odd fishing boat go over the bar occasionally.

Just struck me as odd.

Here's an article about Kieran Devaney I found this evening.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/lifestyle/seafaring-writings-31400965.html

Sad news that the King of Tory, Patsy Dan Rogers, has died.

I'm glad I got the chance to meet him. A real character.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Patsy Dan RIP, a man every small community would want on their side...

00105243-800.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/1019/1005445-king-of-toraigh/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Auld Patsy was a really lovely man, and so interesting to chat to once you got past all the King stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Met him once during a trip to the island. A true gentleman. RIP Patsy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What will happen now, will someone else get the King title?

Ciaran Devaney in good form. Top gent.

467181.jpg

Hey Heidi.

Are you still with us?

This was taken by Kieran Devaney today.

A ship coming into Sligo harbour via Rosses Point.

60697631_3165341643477766_3538130080611958784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b4b953d11a9e9f619b33c29a052625fc&oe=5D681E43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Everyone should live in Dublin. That's where all the stuff is.

Yeah just move the Dubliners out into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

15 months late.......

Welcome to the party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A lot of them are allergic to water

Interesting documentary about Tory tonight on TG4...... except at the really interesting bit where they were getting exercised about the ferry service, the subtitles packed up :( (and despite all the years I'm going up there, I still can't decipher the accent when they're talking among themselves)

I hope they'll show it again with full subtitles.

I was out of there this summer, finally, after about 20 years - and it's still such an amazing place.

Interesting documentary about Tory tonight on TG4...... except at the really interesting bit where they were getting exercised about the ferry service, the subtitles packed up :( (and despite all the years I'm going up there, I still can't decipher the accent when they're talking among themselves)

I hope they'll show it again with full subtitles.

I was out of there this summer, finally, after about 20 years - and it's still such an amazing place.

I saw that on another thread earlier but was too late to watch it. Was it made recently or was it a repeat? Did Kieran Devaney get a look in?

I saw that on another thread earlier but was too late to watch it. Was it made recently or was it a repeat? Did Kieran Devaney get a look in?

No it was a new one. No KD that I saw anyway (but I don't know him). It was made a year or two ago I'd say - Patsy Dan was sick, and they concentrated on the lack of fishing rights and trying to get some back, and the whole ferry thing, including the protests in Dublin and a vote (but no subtitles means I'm not clear what exactly the vote was on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tory is a mighty place... Havn't been there since 2012 :(

No it was a new one. No KD that I saw anyway (but I don't know him). It was made a year or two ago I'd say - Patsy Dan was sick, and they concentrated on the lack of fishing rights and trying to get some back, and the whole ferry thing, including the protests in Dublin and a vote (but no subtitles means I'm not clear what exactly the vote was on!)

Kieran would have been going through cancer treatment around then. I haven't met him for a while as I don't be in Rosses Point as often as I'd like. I often see him waiting for the Sligo - RP bus so he's out and about again.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

There's a repeat with sub titles restored on tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Well worth a look, it's a beautifully made documentary.

Advertisement