Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I like the look of the Moon one - it has the highest output and longest battery life and is also the cheapest.
    I use a Trelock LS 950 with a Cateye 400. The Trelock has a good battery life, but isn't as bright as I'd like and the mount was utter rubbish (until I made a permanent fix to a small bar, that also houses my Garmin mount) but with the second light that I can set to flash when needed or use as a light on country roads, I find this does me ok. I have had to use either one on its own on occaision and they both do the job - just - but work well together. I prefer to have 2 lights front and back as I'm on unlit roads a lot

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I picked this up for this years dark journeys:

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/bikehut-1600-lumen-front-bike-light

It's actually very impressive. The light output is great, and the beam seems pretty well focused to my eye. The unit has a massive battery, so at a reasonable light output it lasts a long time. And you can really crank it if you need to light up the whole road.

Only drawback is that it is very large, but that's a trade off for the battery size.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/bikehut-1600-lumen-front-bike-light

It's actually very impressive. The light output is great, and the beam seems pretty well focused to my eye. The unit has a massive battery, so at a reasonable light output it lasts a long time. And you can really crank it if you need to light up the whole road.

Only drawback is that it is very large, but that's a trade off for the battery size.

looks good. not to worried about size. will consider it, the AXA discount will make the price nicer too.

might pick up helmet light too https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/cateye-duplex-helmet-light

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Get a set of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BYBO-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Headlight-Bicycling/dp/B0758C215T/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1538039164&sr=8-7&keywords=cree+led

Seriously - they're fantastic value for money. I use them for off-road mountain biking at night and the light they give off is great and battery life is excellent. They would be too bright for road use on the brightest setting.

Friends have €200 dedicated mountain biking lights and these give off almost as much light (although definitely not the 5,000 lumens advertised).

It does seem to be a bit hit and miss with the manufacturing quality by reading the reviews but I've had mine since last christmas and they're working perfectly still.

These guys seem to be selling the same kind of thing but with a bit more quality assurance:
    https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/

Probably made in the same factory but perhaps with better customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Alkers wrote: »
    Get a set of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BYBO-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Headlight-Bicycling/dp/B0758C215T/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1538039164&sr=8-7&keywords=cree+led

Seriously - they're fantastic value for money. I use them for off-road mountain biking at night and the light they give off is great and battery life is excellent. They would be too bright for road use on the brightest setting.

I have two of the above on my bike. They are amazing lights...more like spot lamps. I ordered mine from aliexpress and saved a bit more money but they are the same model as is linked.

• Advertisement

Get a set of these:

Friends have €200 dedicated mountain biking lights and these give off almost as much light (although definitely not the 5,000 lumens advertised).

It does seem to be a bit hit and miss with the manufacturing quality by reading the reviews but I've had mine since last christmas and they're working perfectly still.

These guys seem to be selling the same kind of thing but with a bit more quality assurance:
    https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/

Probably made in the same factory but perhaps with better customer service.

I’ve seen them in the road and think they are dangerous, they just blind drivers. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

ted1 wrote: »
    I’ve seen them in the road and think they are dangerous, they just blind drivers. Thanks anyway

Since you have a conscience

https://www.rosebikes.com/b-m-ixon-iq-premium-led-light-kit-80-lux--703614?product_shape=standard&article_size=Standard

Nice light, especially if you are used to dynamo lights.

5hrs on max.

Buy the one linked which includes a charger and 4 AA rechargeable batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You hit the nail on the head here. I've come across cyclists who have hit each other head on because one of them was using ones like these that blind everyone and everything ahead of them! Fine for trail riding where there no oncoming traffic but in my opinion too dangerous for roads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Any lights can be blinding if they are mounted incorrectly.

I have a hopetech R4 front light. Very VERY bright, but I have it mounted under my handlebar stem and it's angled down towards the road surface.

Same goes for rear lights, they should be angled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you mount them correctly they are fine, the beam pattern is narrow enough - they're not floodlights. You will have a similar result if you aim any powerful lights at driver eye level as opposed to the ground. I have found it works well mounting many lights upside down beneath the handlebars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got the same type but the smaller 1000 lumen version. lights up the road safely and acts as a powerbank too.

Cheers all ,

The B&M from Rose look like the best light, that gives the best output pattern for cycling , however shipping is pricey, but tolerable, my main concern is that they don’t use a USB charger and unless I buy a second charger I couldn’t charge at both home and the office.

The Halfords one looks like next best option.

I’ll mull it over today. And order this evening.

As an aside it’s really crazy to see how little thought many cyclists give to lights and how manufacturers don’t think of sticking bigger batteries into their products.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Invincible

Cheers all ,

The B&M from Rose look like the best light, that gives the best output pattern for cycling , however shipping is pricey, but tolerable, my main concern is that they don’t use a USB charger and unless I buy a second charger I couldn’t charge at both home and the office.

As an aside it’s really crazy to see how little thought many cyclists give to lights and how manufacturers don’t think of sticking bigger batteries into their products.

Thanks all.

Agree, delivery is expensive unless you're spending €200+. Wonder if there's any Promo Code available that would make it bearable.
    You could always buy the same light for €45.90 and order a Nitecore charger off 7 day shop and carry spare set of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Got a Moon front light. Great job. Think it's the Meteor Storm Pro, but probably a new better version out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Cheers all ,

Thanks all.

For a dying forum who's main traffic generator is pointing out the failures of other road users/commentators it is quite the double standard.

Unless your light is Stvo compliant or similar your 1000 lumen plus light is an issue for other users

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cheers all ,

Thanks all.

Agree... cycles through Dublin centre last week and lots of cyclists with poor or no lights! IMO The Gardai should confiscate bikes from people who have no lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Lad in work has the bike hut one, impressive enough. Been looking for lights at a good price for ages but am hoping to pick up something decent at a lower price on hols this weekend in Latvia..who knows they could be cheaper there.. the cost of them is a bit of a racket imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Exposure Optix or strada.

Top quality, no cables and awesome customer service, recently serviced my 10-12 year old light for free, replaced an 8 yo corroded bracket for free and some of the most polite and friendly racers.

Picked up the light from Halfords. 54 euro after the usual discount. I’ll use it for the week and post a review.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This light is now 48 instead of 60 quid. And the others in the range are reduced by similar amounts. No brainer for that money imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sorry to go off topic a bit...does anyone here regularly cycle at night on roads with no lighting whatsoever and if so what lights do ye use?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I usually use MTB style lights, the ones with a separate battery pack that attaches to the crossbar. Thing to be careful with there is they're approaching car headlight level of brightness so have the potential to blind oncoming road users.

Stark wrote: »
    I usually use MTB style lights, the ones with a separate battery pack that attaches to the crossbar. Thing to be careful with there is they're approaching car headlight level of brightness so have the potential to blind oncoming road users.

Cheers any specific brand/model you could recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic a bit...does anyone here regularly cycle at night on roads with no lighting whatsoever and if so what lights do ye use?

I'm using a Cateye Volt1600 and would spend substantial time on completely unlit roads. The 500 lumen mode is more than enough for anything I need, the full 1600 only on fast descents.

Plastik wrote: »
    I'm using a Cateye Volt1600 and would spend substantial time on completely unlit roads. The 500 lumen mode is more than enough for anything I need, the full 1600 only on fast descents.

Is 500 lumen enough for completely unlit roads, I'm probably looking at 9-11km on unlit dual carriageway (hard shoulder the whole way thankfully). Just a couple of jobs I'm looking at would likely require this journey to work

I use that Halfords light on a completely unlit road and it works well. I don't have it up on the max level either, plenty of headroom for more light if you feel you need it. As for rears, I have a seesense ICON, and other generic enough rears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Get a set of these:

I use these on my commute. 95% of my route is on unlit back roads and the royal canal so I need something to light the road ahead and these do the job. However, I do have to dip the light (I just tip it to point downwards) when I see a car coming as they are extremely bright.

I think these would be overkill if you're on lit up roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Yes, Moon Meter Storm Pro light. Works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

If your using one of those eBay Cree lights, you need to get a lens to focus the beam. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEEN-ANGLE-DIFFUSER-LIGHTS-APERTURE/dp/B00DQ5IGMU

It will produce a pattern something like a dipped beam, though you do need to ensure the angle does not cause an issue for other road users.

• Advertisement

This light is now 48 instead of 60 quid. And the others in the range are reduced by similar amounts. No brainer for that money imo.

Bargain

So after a week. I recommend it, I keep it in on 240Lumens, and the battery hasn’t had to be charged yet.
    The buttons are big so if you need to change output it’s easy to do while wearing gloves. The battery indicator is good and let’s you know if you need to charge.

Only thing you need to look for is to tighten the holder when you get it, mine jumped off the handlebars as the screw was loose.

Advertisement