Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naas Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Tried Camile this evening. Wasn't impressed. Got that starter box for 2 and it was cold. Mains we're very average.

I'll give them the benefit cause they're only new and obviously very busy but it's not even close to the standard of Thai station when it opened first. Shame they're standard has dropped so much too.

Lemongrass take away out on its own now for the Thais/Chinese I reckon.

We got it this evening and thought it was very good. Better value than lemongrass for take away but lemongrass has more options. We had pad Thai, massaman curry, the sticky chicken salad and the spice bag! We shared it all out and all 4 dishes were well received. I’ll go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

On waiting list for CBS (in the 80's) anyone in previous years gotten in this far down the list? Didn't get NCC or Piper's starting to panic

the list for NCC and pipershill will come down, and so will CBS. You will get one of your choices. if you are really panicking contact the gaelcolaiste. as i have heard of kids being fluent in irish by December of 1st year.

Also check the schools in newbridge (free ones) and clane as there are school buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

any more reviews on Gastro 101?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Had the spice bag out of Camile thai, wasn't great.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had the spice bag out of Camile thai, wasn't great.

They'd want to calm down with all the menu's being put through letterbox's, I'm nearly sick of them already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    any more reviews on Gastro 101?

Tried it last week. Decent food, decent service. The place was lively on a Thursday evening.
    They got one of our orders wrong but corrected straight away once they realised their mistake.
    The booths are my favourite part of the place. Music was funky too.

As for camile thai, not overly impressed so far. Average food for the price and average service and overrated compared to the restaurant version in Dublin. They'll have up their game before I'd consider ditching Thai station .

Naas Christmas Parking arrangements!!
    All 7 Naas MD Cllrs unanimously agreed to suspend pay parking in Council run carparks in Naas from Saturday Dec 1 to Saturday Dec 29 inclusive. On street parking will continue to be charged but Abbey St, Friary Rd, Hedermans and Fairgreen carparks will be free. Naas Retailers have worked hard on this and would love people to #ShopLocal #Naas #Parking

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

On waiting list for CBS (in the 80's) anyone in previous years gotten in this far down the list? Didn't get NCC or Piper's starting to panic

Only saw this now. Any further news? I'm not so sure he will get CBS as very many people apply for it as their first choice so not many refusals but NCC and Pipers are a good bet and I know lots of people who got second round offers in both. It takea a while for it all to settle.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhe2010

Unfortunately our place in NCC waiting list is 140+!!

Unfortunately our place in NCC waiting list is 140+!!

can i ask when you put your child down for CBS? ive heard of parents having the kids name down as soon as they are born.

Is the community college a lottery, or is it based on date application received?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhe2010

I put his name down 4yrs ago but unfortunately this year it has changed to a lottery system for the places left over after siblings, past pupils kids & St Corbans uptake.
    So NCC, CBS & Pipers are now all lottery

I put his name down 4yrs ago but unfortunately this year it has changed to a lottery system for the places left over after siblings, past pupils kids & St Corbans uptake.
    So NCC, CBS & Pipers are now all lottery

Thats awful, sorry you have to go through this, you shouldnt.

if it was me, id start ringing every school in the area and then outside the area. see what schools have places. you should accept any offer and you can always change your mind if naas one comes available. on the call you could ask if the school knows if there is a school bus to naas.

this website has a map of all the secondary schools:

https://www.irishtimes.com/feeder-schools/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

beertons wrote: »
    Naas Christmas Parking arrangements!!
    All 7 Naas MD Cllrs unanimously agreed to suspend pay parking in Council run carparks in Naas from Saturday Dec 1 to Saturday Dec 29 inclusive. On street parking will continue to be charged but Abbey St, Friary Rd, Hedermans and Fairgreen carparks will be free. Naas Retailers have worked hard on this and would love people to #ShopLocal #Naas #Parking

Watch as all the free parking spaces become fullby 9am and the same cars are still there at 5pm.

A very strict 2 hour limit should apply - or better still a very nominal 50c fee for 2 hours with the 50c going towards a charity

can i ask when you put your child down for CBS? ive heard of parents having the kids name down as soon as they are born.

Is the community college a lottery, or is it based on date application received?

That system is now obsolete countrywide. All children now apply in 6th class and any place left after siblings, feeder schools or any other such criteria are chosen by lottery.

Sorry to hear of your continuing worry. Inform yourself of the action and appeal process you can take (Section 29 I think) in case you need it. I hope somehwere comes through for you.

That system is now obsolete countrywide. All children now apply in 6th class and any place left after siblings, feeder schools or any other such criteria are chosen by lottery..

when you mean countrywide, do you mean in the country as opposed to the cities? As in Our Ladys, Templeogue, and Colaiste iasagain (top school in the country last year going on 3rd level places) were still on a first come first served.

And all the fee paying schools in the country are still first come, first served.

when you mean countrywide, do you mean in the country as opposed to the cities? As in Our Ladys, Templeogue, and Colaiste iasagain (top school in the country last year going on 3rd level places) were still on a first come first served.

And all the fee paying schools in the country are still first come, first served.

As far as I know fee paying schools do not have to comply.

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2018-press-releases/PR18-07-11.html

I just looked at Colaiste Iosagain admissions policy and they comply with the new rules. No waiting lists and all application forms go out in September of 5th class.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

How is the primary school situation in Naas? Have a newborn and wondering if I need to start worrying about finding a place for him already?

How is the primary school situation in Naas? Have a newborn and wondering if I need to start worrying about finding a place for him already?

Enrol asap

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

These new regulations will only come into force in 2021. Schools will also be given 5 years to phase out the current waiting lists, although a lot of schools are already phasing them out now.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/admissions_policies_in_primary_and_secondary_schools.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Some primary schools have already got rid of the waiting list and you only enrol the year before your child is due to start primary. I wouldnt panic, but maybe ring your local school and see what their current policy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

This is certainly the case for Mercy Convent, Scoil Bríde and St. Lawrence's. Forms come out Dec/Jan on the school year before. No names taken before that. Currently waiting on forms myself for my youngest and with my other 2 (a good few years ago) it was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Went to the turning on of the lights at the town hall yesterday. Luckily the rain stayed off a bit and it wasn’t as cold so a good atmosphere.

Looked like a big effort was made by the council and local businesses, but I can’t help but think it could have been arranged better to suit the crowds of people.

First was the location of the lights ceremony outside the town hall. You had crowds of people gathered around on the path and steps in front of the town hall (the mc was constantly asking people to keep the steps clear), and crowds gathering on the path on the opposite side of the road. In between that they still allowed Saturday evening traffic to drive through! It seemed bizarre that while a soprano was belting out o holy night ( and doing a good job!) there was a double decker green bus trying to make its way through the town.

Why would they try and shoe horn a ceremony into an operating street just to be near the town hall?

It’s a shame there isn’t a wide open public space like a car park for these type of things as the whole thing would have worked better and been more relaxed.

There seemed to be less going on from last year, the moat mall didn’t have any decorations but there seemed to be a decent crowd in the town yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Went to the turning on of the lights at the town hall yesterday. Luckily the rain stayed off a bit and it wasn’t as cold so a good atmosphere.

Looked like a big effort was made by the council and local businesses, but I can’t help but think it could have been arranged better to suit the crowds of people.

First was the location of the lights ceremony outside the town hall. You had crowds of people gathered around on the path and steps in front of the town hall (the mc was constantly asking people to keep the steps clear), and crowds gathering on the path on the opposite side of the road. In between that they still allowed Saturday evening traffic to drive through! It seemed bizarre that while a soprano was belting out o holy night ( and doing a good job!) there was a double decker green bus trying to make its way through the town.

Why would they try and shoe horn a ceremony into an operating street just to be near the town hall?

It’s a shame there isn’t a wide open public space like a car park for these type of things as the whole thing would have worked better and been more relaxed.

There seemed to be less going on from last year, the moat mall didn’t have any decorations but there seemed to be a decent crowd in the town yesterday

A plaza where the permanent TSB building is would be perfect for these situations.

I came back a few yrs ago from visiting the Heidelberg xmas market and you dont get much better than this as a xmas market, but can you imagine if Naas could have something on a smaller scale to this. They had announced the town xmas market a week later and we went down.
    A few tents propped up outside the courthouse, it was very disappointing

It doesnt have to be on the main street of traffic as Heidleberg is a great example

I think Abbey St would be ideal, nice long stretch and also utilise the car park aswell for some stalls

I'm sure there are a lot of street traders that would get involved if they got some of those german style wooden stalls.

Kavanaghs backs onto Abbey St, they could supply the mulled wine
    You also got Rustic backing on

Short stroll aswell from the town hall after doing the lights ceremony

Just needs someone with a bit of foresight and throw a few quid at it to make it happen

Come on Town Council, stop living in the past
    They should take a trip to one of these markets in Germany once and see what it takes to make it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great idea Lex, send the onto the Naas Ball.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I came back a few yrs ago from visiting the Heidelberg xmas market and you dont get much better than this as a xmas market, but can you imagine if Naas could have something on a smaller scale to this. They had announced the town xmas market a week later and we went down.
    A few tents propped up outside the courthouse, it was very disappointing

It doesnt have to be on the main street of traffic as Heidleberg is a great example

I think Abbey St would be ideal, nice long stretch and also utilise the car park aswell for some stalls

I'm sure there are a lot of street traders that would get involved if they got some of those german style wooden stalls.

Kavanaghs backs onto Abbey St, they could supply the mulled wine
    You also got Rustic backing on

Short stroll aswell from the town hall after doing the lights ceremony

Just needs someone with a bit of foresight and throw a few quid at it to make it happen

They should take a trip to one of these markets in Germany once and see what it takes to make it happen

Good shout on the abbey st thing, but they could have the entire lights ceremony there too instead of the town hall. Put large in tree in temporary spot for turning on, then move it to front of hall for rest of Christmas

Great idea Lex, send the onto the Naas Ball.

Is s/he on the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

In Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic & Slovakia the markets have been going for hundreds of years and generations upon generations have been brought up on them. http://fiveminutehistory.com/a-brief-history-of-christmas-markets/

Other countries have tried to mimic it and never get to the success of the northern Europeans, though some UK markets are quite successful - but the UK also has a tradition of markets (Coventry markets is a great example).

It has been tried in Waterford with their Winterval festival and it has gradually built up a reputation, but still gets no where near the visitor numbers it had originally envisaged, but bit by bit it growing.

In Germany you also have a lot of restrictions on retailers - no Sunday trading, sales and promotions can only be offered at certain times of years (Harvey norman and currys would have a heart attack :D ) and there are far less chain stores, thus giving the smaller retailer and market trader a better opportunity.

On the flip side, with some thought and foresight and the fact Naas is close to Dublin, it is something that could work if a ten year plan is created - understanding that it would be loss making for the first few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

I have visited many xmas markets, Waterford, Belfast, Brussels, Antwerp, Cologne, Krakow and they all have the same Trinkets etc... for sale. Nothing overly unique.

What a good xmas market brings is a family/friends evening out, wander through stalls, try food, warm drinks get in xmas mood.

Can't be that hard for the town council to organise, i would even propose the Trax car park/court yard. People park in town and walk out there (2mins)

Advertisement