Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbridge Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong I wish a wine buff was sustainable but its more charity shops than wine buffs that is suitable for the town, and this is coming from someone that has lived in it for about 12 years.

the demographics arent the issue imo there's plenty money in it, it's the shite layout of the town coupled with the shite traffic that's killing all of the small businesses, add in online shopping and whitewater to that also.

Nicks fish was a huge feckin loss too, Dunnes counter is grand but it's just not the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

the demographics arent the issue imo there's plenty money in it, it's the shite layout of the town coupled with the shite traffic that's killing all of the small businesses, add in online shopping and whitewater to that also.

Nicks fish was a huge feckin loss too, Dunnes counter is grand but it's just not the same.

Agree Nicks was a big loss. Just look at the Naas Dunne’s and the Newbridge Dunne’s massive difference in quality of meat and fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Millfield saga continues...

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/488486/newbridge-councillor-criticises-lack-of-communication-re-millfield-fire-remediations.html

There seems alot for sale in Millfield now, perhaps this is why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Millfield saga continues...

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/488486/newbridge-councillor-criticises-lack-of-communication-re-millfield-fire-remediations.html

There seems alot for sale in Millfield now, perhaps this is why?

Took FOUR years to get this far? Our beloved Town has been screaming for a secondary school, looking at the latest Edition of the LL re a second bridge over THe Liffey, & at the same time Newbridge is nearly gridlocked most mornings, evenings and Saturdays???

I just wonder will we ever get a politician who is PROactive, not REactive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Damien360

Took FOUR years to get this far? Our beloved Town has been screaming for a secondary school, looking at the latest Edition of the LL re a second bridge over THe Liffey, & at the same time Newbridge is nearly gridlocked most mornings, evenings and Saturdays???

There won’t be a new secondary school. The patrician secondary has permission to develop much bigger and take more pupils. I can’t see anything coming for girls secondary right now in plans.

Where would you put the bridge ? The plan was to cut across the fields in front of the college but they quickly put a stop to that. Another bridge would have to meet somewhere out by the graveyard. But then it would come through and meet the traffic coming out of the industrial estate into town again.

The whitewater junction sends traffic into town. It should be the other direction. But if you look at the other side, by Lidl, those lights cause gridlock as traffic enters from the newbridge silverware industrial estate and cannot proceed. That blocks all the way back to McD’s most weekends.

The back street is a dump and business dies back there very quickly. Clear all parking along it and make it a one way but in which direction as each side will cause gridlock.

The town centre needs a lift. Pound shops and estate agents are not the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Damien360 wrote: »
    There won’t be a new secondary school. The patrician secondary has permission to develop much bigger and take more pupils. I can’t see anything coming for girls secondary right now in plans.

Where would you put the bridge ? The plan was to cut across the fields in front of the college but they quickly put a stop to that. Another bridge would have to meet somewhere out by the graveyard. But then it would come through and meet the traffic coming out of the industrial estate into town again.

The whitewater junction sends traffic into town. It should be the other direction. But if you look at the other side, by Lidl, those lights cause gridlock as traffic enters from the newbridge silverware industrial estate and cannot proceed. That blocks all the way back to McD’s most weekends.

The back street is a dump and business dies back there very quickly. Clear all parking along it and make it a one way but in which direction as each side will cause gridlock.

One way system,,,, Newbridge is perfect for it!

Damien360 wrote: »

You raise very valid points Damien. I don't have the answer re the 2nd bridge, but whenever an election is in the offing then the prospective politicians are all mouth about this and other factors regarding the gridlocking in the town.

I live in Roseberry Hill, and directly across the road from our entrance approximately 85 houses were built, and the field directly across from the entrance to Sarsfields has PP for 400 ( again approx. ) houses.

Yet, we have to go over a narrow bridge to get anywhere. It's crazy what's going on and it seems the politicians don't give a crap.

On the secondary school, I'll NEVER understand why ET didn't get PP to build a secondary. At one stage there was even talk of them taking over a building out on The Curragh. But no, now my Daughter has to go to Kilcullen for secondary.

To the OP who says that Newbridge is perfect for a one-way system, please can You say how the artics will get to Penney's/Dunnes/Tesco etc? I'm not doubting You, but I wonder how the 40ft's will get there, or away from their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

You raise very valid points Damien. I don't have the answer re the 2nd bridge, but whenever an election is in the offing then the prospective politicians are all mouth about this and other factors regarding the gridlocking in the town.

I live in Roseberry Hill, and directly across the road from our entrance approximately 85 houses were built, and the field directly across from the entrance to Sarsfields has PP for 400 ( again approx. ) houses.

Yet, we have to go over a narrow bridge to get anywhere. It's crazy what's going on and it seems the politicians don't give a crap.

On the secondary school, I'll NEVER understand why ET didn't get PP to build a secondary. At one stage there was even talk of them taking over a building out on The Curragh. But no, now my Daughter has to go to Kilcullen for secondary.

To the OP who says that Newbridge is perfect for a one-way system, please can You say how the artics will get to Penney's/Dunnes/Tesco etc? I'm not doubting You, but I wonder how the 40ft's will get there, or away from their destination.

I posted the below last year, it's only gotten worse since. Quite often on a weekday evening traffic congestion in the town is what you would have only seen at Christmas time. Also i don't know if it's temporary or not but the new road built from the dual carriage way to the roundabout at Lidl/Murphy international seems to be only accessible from the new roundabout on the dual carriageway and is not a through road. I hope the plan is to open this up as it would make a massive difference to morning and evening traffic leaving/entering the town from that side.
    tossy wrote: »
    As far as i'm aware none of the lights on the main road via Newbridge work on sensors, they are just on a set sequence so have no ability to adjust.

The Cutlery road should be one way in the opposite direction and access to the white water car park on the cutlery road should have never been granted permission. Same with the entrance to Mcdonalds and tescos - there shouldn't be traffic lights installed to facilitate retail outlets - it's a joke.

The road that runs behind Mcdonalds and Finlays should be made one way, from the town end outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/489793/new-restaurant-in-newbridge-gets-the-green-light-from-council.html

Any idea what kind of a restaurant it is? Really hope its nice as it would be great to have some place new to eat in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

silverview wrote:
    Any idea what kind of a restaurant it is? Really hope its nice as it would be great to have some place new to eat in the town.

Thai station. They are in Sallins and Kildare town too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ABitFedUp

Funding for a second bridge was never fought for by the council, they will just make paying for it a condition of planning for whoever is developing the site beside the gables and the sites beside Wellesley Manor. Cairn Homes has to upgrade roads in Maynooth for their latest development there. While I have my own opinions on local councillors I think Kildare county council is the main body responsible as it allowed overdevelopment of urban areas without adequate infrastructure by certain favoured developers during the boom just to benefit from the rates received regardless of any duty of care to existing residents in an area. Any decent planning authority could have seen the over crowding in the local primary schools here in newbridge 8-12 years was going to have a knock on effect at second level but I think KCC’s attitude at the time was there is/would be capacity in Naas, then Naas had an explosion in development and now it has a schools crisis of its own... I could be wrong but I think KCC is an old boys club that has operated in the dark ages since it’s inception....

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

any good wine shops around now that the wine buff has closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

chancer007 wrote:
    any good wine shops around now that the wine buff has closed?

O'Briens outside the whitewater probably your best bet.

silverview wrote: »

This was applied for previously and rejected. Apartments planned. Same as the ones currently at that site. Unnecessary petrol station at that location anyway. Retail units ? A lot of housing planned up at the crossroads and surrounding area so it will be congested and there were plans to have an exit out on to Milltown road coming out beside the Dept of Defence so I’m guessing it will be a crossroads using the existing lights.

Spin closed on that site on insurance costs so there won’t be amenities other than shops. Same shop setup as Curragh Grange would be my guess.

I believe drainage was an issue cited previously in last rejection and I can’t remember any works to fix that since.

silverview wrote: »

Aside from the people/businesses involved in the construction work, please tell us just how this is supposed to be fantastic for the area?

Damian is spot on with what He says above. I'm from the area, and the only benefit I could envisage by this building going in is that it might wake up Centra and force them to lower their prices.

Otherwise? It's very hard to see just how this is of benefit to us? It will only generate more traffic, and believe me it's a joke what we have to do to get onto the M7. 3 choices, a) go over a traffic light controlled bridge, b) go over a very narrow bridge or c) add to the gridlock that is already Main Street. And remember this is before a sod of turf has been laid on the ( approx. ) 400 houses to be built in the field directly across from the entrance to Sarsfields. And we already have just seen 80 odd houses built opposite the entrance to RH.

Something else which I am not sure if it's permitted or not: A school directly beside petrol pumps? Is there a minimum distance between them? I don't know, but I would think there must be.

So, fantastic news? I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I would have to disagree with you both. With the over crowding of houses there already and the over 400 planned to be built I would say this development would be necessary. For the following reasons.

1) the petrol station. With the building of all the houses the people who buy them will need to fuel there cars. Otherwise they all have to come into the town to get petrol causing an already bad traffic problem to get even worse.

2) the shops. You cant build that amount of houses without amenities close to service them.

With that said I think it's crazy that this is needed. The 400 houses should never of been giving planning permission as those roads cant take the extra traffic it has now. If those houses were not to be built I would agree that this development would be unnecessary. The sad fact is that they are been built and if the council don't care about the infrastructure to deal with the extra traffic at least try build services to keep some of those cars coming into the town.

Otherwise? It's very hard to see just how this is of benefit to us? It will only generate more traffic, and believe me it's a joke what we have to do to get onto the M7. 3 choices, a) go over a traffic light controlled bridge, b) go over a very narrow bridge or c) add to the gridlock that is already Main Street. And remember this is before a sod of turf has been laid on the ( approx. ) 400 houses to be built in the field directly across from the entrance to Sarsfields. And we already have just seen 80 odd houses built opposite the entrance to RH.

You are complaining about the extra houses across the road from Sarsfields... That's happening regardless of what we think about it, i agree with you re the bridges and more traffic etc... planning permission should never have been granted.

Where i'm coming from i'm happy that its not more houses going in on that site in Station Road, petrol station, restaurant, shops etc... is better than more houses... Also it should mean that there will now be an entrance to the paddocks from station road which is badly needed instead of traffic bombing through the Meadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Aside from the people/businesses involved in the construction work, please tell us just how this is supposed to be fantastic for the area?

Damian is spot on with what He says above. I'm from the area, and the only benefit I could envisage by this building going in is that it might wake up Centra and force them to lower their prices.

Something else which I am not sure if it's permitted or not: A school directly beside petrol pumps? Is there a minimum distance between them? I don't know, but I would think there must be.

Well the 400 houses are coming. Should they be coming with nothing in place to service them and keep cars out of the town.

I think we can all get behind the notion that access to that side of the town must improve but both do not need to be mutually exclusive events.

My own take is that competition for Centra up there is a good thing. Certainly station users such as myself would make use of it. Grab one or 2 things that you might have had to stop for and then head straight for home.

As for access, what is the solution to take traffic out of bottom of the town? If you replace the small bridge you're still putting traffic into the town and over bridge at the church

Having a fuel station on that side of town is a badly needed fecking godsend, how anyone could be against that idea is baffling.

Also - what school would be directly beside this development?

• Advertisement

Having a fuel station on that side of town is a badly needed fecking godsend, how anyone could be against that idea is baffling.

Also - what school would be directly beside this development?

st marks school for special needs kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why on earth would there be a restriction on having a fuel station next to a school?

Darc19 wrote: »
    Why on earth would there be a restriction on having a fuel station next to a school?

Even from a practical point of view of having a lot traffic turning across a path into a petrol station as kids pass by the entrance at school times it would be dangerous.

Anyway, St Marks does not have kids walking to the school as it is a special school and most of the kids wouldn’t be safe/capable of walking that journey.

KCC did an extensive survey of the site in relation to drainage with respect to waste water and found it to be severely lacking in the last application. This was in relation to the many apartments planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Practicalities, yes. But a restriction???

I know plenty of schools next to or opposite fuel stations.

Doesn't seem to cause any issues, so obviously no actual restrictions exist.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    st marks school for special needs kids

There's a house directly beside it, St.Marks is the other side of the house

does anyone here get the jjkavanagh bus from newbridge to kilcullen in the morning. i am trying to figure out the stops on that route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

does anyone here get the jjkavanagh bus from newbridge to kilcullen in the morning. i am trying to figure out the stops on that route

https://jjkavanagh.ie/timetable-detail-page/?RouteNo=129O&IsWeb=0&IsCollegeRoute=0&Direction=0&RGrp=Town%20%20City%20Services

Nosnon wrote: »

yea i know that.

sorry maybe i didn't explain what i meant correctly.

The bord na mona(whitewater) stop. where is it?

I was hoping someone who travelled on the bus could tell me where it is. i thought it was across the road from charlie ryans but i have missed the bus twice standing there at that spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

I don't but I'm fairly sure it picks up at the Electricity boxes across from JL Bradshaw's on the road out to Athgarvan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

Any news on whats happening with the sale of bru house, seems to be on the market a while, nice pub would be glad to see it reopened soon.

Advertisement