Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greta Van Fleet good or bad ?

• 01-12-2018 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭

This band have gotten a lot of praise and recognition due to their sound, which has been compared to Led Zeppelin in sound and lead singer Vocal similarities to
    Robert Plant amongst others.

I mean I know Robert Plant likes them but I know Slash has said he isn't a fan due to how much they sound like Led Zeppelin(even though I think GVF opened for GNR at some point) I mean I don't see what's wrong with being influenced by Led Zeppelin, as there are worse bands to try and emulate than LZ. I mean once they aren't a tribute band dressing like LZ I'm not bothered.

so, my question to the usual crowd on this forum is GVF yes or no ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I like them. Yeah they aren't the most original band out there, but they're still good at what they do.

Rival Sons is another in the same boat, really good band and excellent live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I don't see sounding like Led Zeppelin as a bad thing. I do like their whole 70s rock sound, it's a bit of a change from the normal rock sound today. I think people just want to jump on the band wagon of hating something. I do really like their new album

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Leroy Brown

They will play Olympia Theatre on 13th March.
    It is hard to say now good or bad as they are at their very beginning and we know it's a very long way, but they definitely have something and I wish them best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

They're okay. Hopefully for them they don't go the same way as Wolfmother, who were also touted as the next Zeppelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I'd say more Jon Anderson than Plant. Either way I like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

based on what I have heard so far they are very very good
    where they go from here is anyone's guess
    looking forward to the gig in March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Pretty dull I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Have to say I find absolutely nothing interesting about them at all. They're like a badly photocopied Led Zeppelin. Zero originality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah not for me. They arent just influenced by LZ, they are more or less copying their sound completely.

Every time I hear them I think of that Mike Patton interview where hes backstage at a festival when Wolfmother starts playing and he gives out about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I really like them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

They're alright, not at all a bad sound, though they kinda grate on replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

They're good. It's very LZ but I don't mind that so much. Certainly more enjoyable listening than Kingdom Come were back in the day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I like them.
    Seen them in Berlin back in October las year
    Jake Kiszka put some good solo performance there.
    I just hope they are not going to burn out.

Btw: The warm-up act was 'Goodbye June' which was a nice discovery also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

aNYZzn4_700bwp.webp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Good potential they need an album that pushes them out from zeps shadow. I’m keeping an eye on what they release but nothing has been Listened to more than once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭peter4918

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Bad, there is nothing original about them at all. It pains me to listen to such shameless imitation. For shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

They sure sound like a rip off but I hope the irony of ripping off Led Zep is not lost on anybody. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see Steven Wilson didn't hold back when asked his opinion

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_trashes_greta_van_fleet_abysmal_terrible_joke_piss-poor_third-rate_impersonation_of_led_zeppelin.html

That terrible band Greta Van Fleet, you know that band? I think they're absolutely abysmal. I think they're terrible; I think it's a joke.

"They're an example of a band - because they're pretty young boys, they look like a boy band, they play this really piss-poor third-rate impersonation of Led Zeppelin.

"But they're pretty and they've had all the help of the media and the commercial machine behind them, and they've been able to reach a massive audience overnight by playing third-rate music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Apparently they're massive a-holes too! They slagged off all the bars that gave them a start in Saginaw and frequently bailed on the venues, lame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Advertisement