Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP my Edwin Jagger DE89L

• 11-06-2021 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭

So when opening the head to add a new blade the head sheared off leaving the threaded part inside the handle. Granted I've had this for about 10 years and it was my most used razor.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm looking to replace it now, can anyone suggest a good quality razor with the same level of mildness as the DE89? Or maybe I should just re-order the same model again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think if you search this forum you'll find it has happened to others albeit not a common complaint. There is a comment in the link below about how these are forged so they can be a bit fragile for metal. It may be worth reaching out to EJ customer service to see what they say. I find Twitter works well for that type of thing.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92256007

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yeah I chanched my arm and emailed EJ customer service. In fairness, they replied within a few hours. They suggested a technique using a small screwdriver or paper clip to try remove the screwed in part from the handle. I asked them did they sell the heads separately, that was my lame attempt to see if they would send me one free of charge:D

No joy anyway and it's not as if I don't have other razors but the DE89 is a brilliant and forgiving daily razor. A few years ago I bought a Merkur 34c HD and never used it, it's time to give it a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Pity, I was pulling for you and thought they'd replace it. You can indeed get just the top plate or a whole new head.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-replacement-top-plate-r89.html

I agree about it being a great razor. It was what I started with and I still think it's a great choice to start with as it is very forgiving and gives great results with a sharp blade.

I'll try to remove the screw part from the handle so, would be good to avoid dumping the razor just because of one weak part. Still, I had it for 10+ years so it's hardly surprising.

Contacting EJ didn't come to much, no freebies :D
    Turns out I had bought a Merkur 34c HD from shaving.ie a long time ago but I never used it for some reason. I'm well impressed, it's a quality piece and feels very mild but gives a good close shave (with Merkur and Feather blades).

• Advertisement
Advertisement