Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

free archive for local Irish papers

Options
  • 08-02-2021 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Is there any free archive for local Irish papers going back to 1970 and 1980s? INA is at the library but covid has it closed

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basically, no. Most INA hosted regional titles are INA-exclusive as they have done the OCR of the microfilms themselves - and I believe they have an exclusive licence to the Independent News & Media regional archive that INM did themselves.

There are more local papers not archived anywhere than there are on the INA/BNA/ProQuest, remember - you'd need to hit up county libraries or the National Library for those. Where I live there's a still extant independent local going back to the 80s that would probably do 10x the local coverage of the main county big boy that's on the INA for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭rhc2s4lj5p0xu9

L1011 wrote: »
    Basically, no. Most INA hosted regional titles are INA-exclusive as they have done the OCR of the microfilms themselves - and I believe they have an exclusive licence to the Independent News & Media regional archive that INM did themselves.

There are more local papers not archived anywhere than there are on the INA/BNA/ProQuest, remember - you'd need to hit up county libraries or the National Library for those. Where I live there's a still extant independent local going back to the 80s that would probably do 10x the local coverage of the main county big boy that's on the INA for instance.
    I know but the libraries are closed now. Thanks

Advertisement