Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV System failure

• 17-05-2021 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Family member has a CCTV system which has some type of issue. It started with all four camera feeds on the display having wavy/off coloured interference showing on the monitor. This slowly deteriorated and now there's no feed coming through on the monitor for any of the cameras.

We tried a different monitor to rule it out, but same result. The DVR's menus etc all display fine. I presume the same fault affecting all four cameras at the same time is highly unlikely, so next the common points of failure are the DVR itself and/or the 12v transformer maybe?

We'll get someone to check out the transformer, and if that checks out, I suppose the DVR is all that's left. Is it a case of just buying a compatible DVR, dropping it in, and setting it up? Are there any things to watch out for, or thing to actually look for.....it's a four camera coax system with an external transformer, as seen in the pics below

IMG-20210508-113743.jpg

IMG-20210508-113750.jpg

IMG-20210508-113759.jpg

^^ I know the battery fault light is showing on the transformer there, but we opened the door on it and there isn't a battery in it as far as I can see, so nothing has changed in it.

Any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Inviere wrote: »
    Hi folks

Family member has a CCTV system which has some type of issue. It started with all four camera feeds on the display having wavy/off coloured interference showing on the monitor. This slowly deteriorated and now there's no feed coming through on the monitor for any of the cameras.

We tried a different monitor to rule it out, but same result. The DVR's menus etc all display fine. I presume the same fault affecting all four cameras at the same time is highly unlikely, so next the common points of failure are the DVR itself and/or the 12v transformer maybe?

We'll get someone to check out the transformer, and if that checks out, I suppose the DVR is all that's left. Is it a case of just buying a compatible DVR, dropping it in, and setting it up? Are there any things to watch out for, or thing to actually look for.....it's a four camera coax system with an external transformer, as seen in the pics below

IMG-20210508-113743.jpg

IMG-20210508-113750.jpg

IMG-20210508-113759.jpg

^^ I know the battery fault light is showing on the transformer there, but we opened the door on it and there isn't a battery in it as far as I can see, so nothing has changed in it.

Any advice would be great :)

For the 4 cameras to be off I would suspect the power going to them is the issue if all are off the same power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Inviere

altor wrote: »
    For the 4 cameras to be off I would suspect the power going to them is the issue if all are off the same power supply.

When I'm there the weekend I'll probe the camera outputs for 12v with a multimeter. Is there anything specific to watch out for, fatal electrocution aside :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Inviere wrote: »
    When I'm there the weekend I'll probe the camera outputs for 12v with a multimeter. Is there anything specific to watch out for, fatal electrocution aside :o

Main thing is not to get electrocuted :D

If you had a 12V power supply to test one or 2 of the cameras with you would know straight away but the multimeter will be your first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Looks to be an older system.
    Worth considering that for €300 odd euro you could swop recorder and cameras for Hikvision HD.

Advertisement