20-02-2020, 15:07   #16
baby and crumble

Going back to what I said, I've really only been to 2 full city centre weddings, one was mine and honestly I was bet by the time 1.30am came, and I absolutely loathe singalongs etc so I had no desire to organise anything, I think 1.30/2am is late enough and you've been hosting everyone all day. Like I said a few of the die-hards found a place to go literally a 2 minute walk away so there was no issue with that. Don't most weddings end around then anyway?

The only other one I was at was in Smock Alley and you have to be out of there by 11pm - they had organised somewhere to go on to, but I think a lot of folks bailed at the changeover, I know we did. Ended up on the last bus home, happy days. It was a lovely wedding, though.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2020, 22:35   #17
lazygal

We got married in a Dublin venue with no residents bar etc. Venue closed at 1am or 130am and that was fine by us. We piled into a relative's car and went home. I don't ever do those sing songs till the small hours.
Thanks from:
24-02-2020, 19:38   #18
Electric Sheep

I would do an old fashioned "going away" to signal the end of the wedding. Get changed into a going away outfit, be driven away in a decorated car while being waved off by your guests, they go back into venue and have last drink, then all go home.

It removes the element of a flat ending and makes it much more upbeat.

I suspect most guests secretly hate the pressure to stay up all night singing and will be delighted to leave at a reasonable hour.
Thanks from:
25-02-2020, 03:48   #19
qwerty13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Sheep View Post
I would do an old fashioned "going away" to signal the end of the wedding. Get changed into a going away outfit, be driven away in a decorated car while being waved off by your guests, they go back into venue and have last drink, then all go home.

It removes the element of a flat ending and makes it much more upbeat.

I suspect most guests secretly hate the pressure to stay up all night singing and will be delighted to leave at a reasonable hour.
I guess it depends on the crowd. I hate the sing song stuff - but I know loads of people love that. I’d love the chance to catch up with people who you’ve seen all day, but haven’t had the chance to chat to (probably more a thing at family weddings). And then there’s the case that if a lot of the crowd is gelling, they’d just like to stay up and have the craic!

I personally think it’s better to have a plan or something to facilitate people staying up late. I do know lots of people that view a wedding as an opportunity to go ‘all out’ if they’ve hired a babysitter etc. Especially if it involves a crowd of old friends catching up.

Last edited by qwerty13; 25-02-2020 at 03:52.
08-05-2021, 20:42   #20
dia squish

I hope it's ok to restart this thread. But looking at Dublin city restaurant venues and wondering if anyone has been to a wedding in Roberta's? Or heard any reviews?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion