Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reviews on books with historical and political subjects.

• 11-01-2019 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

I like to use this thread for writing reviews on books with historical and political subjects which are often intertwined.

Maybe this might also be of interest for other readers. But it's no list about books I am about to read this year, it is a listing of books which I have read last year, or a couple of years ago and of course the ones I am currently reading. The subjects are as in the thread title mentioned of historical and political background, some are more academic others are just a story with both such backgrounds.

The countries and cities which are covered by my selection of literature are Ireland, Dublin in particular, Scotland, Edinburgh, Irish and Scottish history and other subjects from British history. These are all my main interests.

To start with, this is one I am about to finish:

https://www.obrien.ie/cache//content/38/56638

IRISH REBELLIONS 1798-1921 By Helen Litton

Using eyewitness accounts, speeches and illustrative material, Helen Litton describes these most important Irish rebellions, from the United Irishmen of 1798 to the IRA of the War of Independence.

It gives an overview about the uprisings from 1798 onwards that led to the Easter Rising and the War of Independence and Ends with it. Each chapter also has a short biography about the main characters of each uprising.

Advertisement