Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anybody help translate this

• 09-03-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I hope this is ok here, I'm hoping somebody could help translate this for me.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

michdee wrote: »
    I hope this is ok here, I'm hoping somebody could help translate this for me.

Hi michdee, I've moved your thread to the Gaeilge forum instead. Teach na nGealt has a fairly strict Irish-only policy. :)

The inscription says

"Tógadh an leacht seo
    i gcuimhne
    Bhriogáid Mhaigh Eo Thiar
    d'óglaigh na hÉireann
    a sheas an fód go calma
    annseo
    i gCeatramh Uí Chinnéide
    faoi cheannas an Gheineráil
    Micheál Mac Giolla Ruaidh
    in aghaidh Arm na Sasanach
    2 Meitheamh 1921."

Which means, "This stone was erected in memory of the West Mayo Brigade of the IRA (or Irish Volunteers) who stood their ground bravely here in Carrowkennedy under the lead of Michael Kilroy against the English Army, 2nd of June 1921".

Further information on the event can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrowkennedy_ambush

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Excellent thank you

Advertisement