Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deireadh Fómhair v. Deire Fómhair

Options
  • 09-06-2016 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

When saying, say, the 2nd of October is it 2ú Deire Fómhair rather than 2ú Deireadh Fómhair? Although I've always said the latter, there is a sizeable number of results coming up for the former on both the Department of Education website and RnaG/RTÉ's website:

Deire Fómhair

v.

Deireadh Fómhair

According to Tearma.ie the genitive singular is Dheireadh Fómhair. Tomás De Bhaldraithe has ''(On) the fifth of October, an cúigiú lá de Dheireadh Fómhair.'

Focloir.ie has:
    Deireadh Fómhair
    mí Dheireadh Fómhair
    this is the month of October mí Dheireadh Fómhair atá ann
    the beginning of October tús mhí Dheireadh Fómhair
    wait until October fan go mí Dheireadh Fómhair
    the second week of October an dara seachtain de mhí Dheireadh Fómhair, an dara seachtain i mí Dheireadh Fómhair
    he'll be finished by October beidh sé críochnaithe faoi Dheireadh Fómhair
    last October Deireadh Fómhair na bliana seo caite
    25 October 25 Deireadh Fómhair

Which is correct? Grma.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I would always say "2(ú) Deireadh Fómhair".

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

The Caighdeán Oifigiúil got rid of the ú some years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

The Caighdeán Oifigiúil got rid of the ú some years ago.

I like to use it. :) You are correct in saying that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

never seen the use of Deire vs. Deireadh -- I imagine that they probably sound same (depending on dialect -- less so perhaps in Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Deire is an alternative spelling of deireadh. Deireadh is the caighdeánach version as per the Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla.

So both of them are correct, as such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement