Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Maoil" as bearla..?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

Dia daoibh,

I've a question, the answer to which might be a bit obscure, maybe as much a history question as a language one.

From "The book of Ulster Surnames by Robert Bell":
    ...the name Ó Maoildeirg (Mulderrig), meaning 'descendant of the red warrior'...

I don't understand where he gets the 'warrior' bit from. Perhaps he's working off some other historical information, but if so, it's not present or referenced in the text. There's no other useful context in the book.

Maoil, I'd have thought was 'bald'; from talking to a few people, they'd say bald or tonsured, as in the shaved bit of the back of the head typically worn by a monk - so would say it probably means religious or holy, in that context.

So, anyone got any idea where the 'Warrior' bit in this book comes from? Is it another, less common meaning of "Maoil", in certain contexts? Or is it more likely to be referencing some other historical facts or context not mentioned?

I've also seen 'chieftain, or servant of chieftain' mentioned as a translation for "Maoil" in family names - anyone know where that comes from?

Anyone got any info on this, lingual or historical?
    Or know where I might find some?

Go raibh maith agaibh!
    Fergal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Bald is "Maol" as far as I know.

Maoil can be something to do with overflowing or bursting.

Can't answer your question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Dia daoibh!

As a Reid, I traced the family name back to the Maoildeirgs of Ulster and found this which might help.

From: http://www.libraryireland.com/articles/Muls/Muls.php
    What, then, was the meaning of the name borne by the original Mulblank? In other words, what is the meaning of the Mul- prefix? In modern Irish the Mul is written maol, and this maol represents different older Irish words in different names. (a) In most of our present names the Mul stands for 'servant of,' or 'votary of.' And most of these names are of Christian origin, and of very great interest. Thus, many centuries ago, a person devoted to St. John, for example, would assume the name Maol-Eoin,'servant of John' Hence arose the modern surname O'Maoil-Eoin, descendant of the servant of John--O'Malone, Malone. (b) In other surnames the Mul stands for an old Gaelic word meaning 'hero, magnate.' (c) In others, Mul probably represents a word for 'head.'

Advertisement